“It’s too cold to go outside and…” I’m going to stop you right there. Don’t let the “winter slump” prevent you from hitting the ground running (literally). Memphis is a city full of beautiful landscapes and natural trails that will have you wanting to ditch the treadmill and enjoy the fresh air.
Running doesn’t have to be boring. Here are some the top places to run in the 901 if you’re looking for a change in scenery or a new spot to prepare for those upcoming races:
- Shelby Farms Park
- Shelby Farms Greenline
- Vollintine Evergreen Greenline
- Overton Park
- Wolf River Greenway Trail
- Riverwalk & Big River Crossing
- Harbor Town Island
- Meeman- Shelby Forest State Park
- T.O. Fuller State Park
- Or create your own route by exploring Downtown Memphis
If you are a beginner and need a couple of accountability buddies, join in on one of Memphis Runners Track Clubs or Breakaway Running’s free weekly group runs. If you want to do some socializing while you’re at it, check out Salty Dogs Running Group and Memphis Hash House Harriers. You can also check out Crosstown Running Crew for a casual monthly running meetup.
Now that you know where to run and have pals to run with, it’s time to get you set up with the proper gear. Unless you plan on getting shin splints from those worn out Converse you call “running shoes,” we suggest making your way to Memphis Fleet Feet Sports or Breakaway Running to pick up the perfect fit.
You’ve got your gear and you’re all trained up. Why not challenge yourself by competing in a race? Memphis has a ton of them throughout the year and many of them are linked to local philanthropic efforts. Here are some great upcoming races to register for in 2019. And if you decide running just isn’t your forte, you can always consider simply donating to the race charities anyway.
- 10th Annual Humane Society Fast & Furriest 5k (3/16) – Why not run and get to see some furry friends along the way?
- Ready. Set. Grow! (4/12)- Let your inner tree hugger show and pregame Earth Day the right way.
- Great American River Run (5/25) – Take a run by Downtown Memphis’ most beautiful route and listen to live music along the way
- Memphis Margarita Madness 5k Run (6/22) – Did someone say margs??
- J4J 5th Annual Stop The Violence 5k (7/27) – Stop the violence, don’t stop the run.
- Elvis Presley 5k (8/10)- Calling all Elvis impersonators to run the streets like a “Hound Dog” for this 5k.
- West FIGHT ON (9/14)- Help the fight against everyone’s most hated disease.
- Round the Mound: 5k Church Run (10/26) – Take a run through the first African American neighborhood in Memphis.
- Memphis Hungry Turkey 5k (11/28)- Give thanks that you made it running the past few months and run to eliminate hunger in the Mid-South.
- St. Jude Marathon Weekend (12/7)- No worries, you don’t have to run the marathon. You can enter the 5k, 10k, or half marathon if you feel like you still haven’t mastered this whole running thing.