First Congregational Church of Memphis (First Congo) is a dynamic and vibrant congregation in the heart of midtown Memphis. We’re part of the United Church of Christ (UCC), a denomination of about 6,000 churches across the country. We are a community committed to making peace in all places, affirming love in all its expressions, and undoing racism in all its forms. We are looking for a compassionate, well-organized person with knowledge of local food systems to lead our Food Justice Program. The Director of the Food Justice Program is a significant part of our leadership at the church. They are responsible for caring for our lunch guests, maintaining the food pantry, and rescuing food from area restaurants and grocery stores.
- Coordinate volunteer roles and tasks from week to week
- Train and guide new volunteers
- Order, sort, distribute, and prepare food received from various sources including area restaurants, Mid-South Food Bank, and grocery stores
- Ensure that food inventory remains sufficient for weekly pantry day
- Prepare and coordinate food for various church-related events
- Communicate program updates and needs to the congregation and community donors regularly
- Track and report program expenses
- Maintain the kitchen and all food storage spaces in accordance with Shelby County Health Department regulations
- Attend weekly staff meetings
- Other duties as assigned
- Proficiency in basic Microsoft programs
- Ability to work with people from a wide variety of backgrounds
- Ability to remain positive and calm in high-stress situations
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Fundraising and donor relations
- Cooking/culinary skills
Work Demands and Environment
- COVID-19 vaccination required
- Ability to work nights, weekends, holidays on occasion
- Ability to lift at least 25 lbs.
Compensation: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
How to Apply: Qualified candidates are invited to apply by emailing a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of FJP” as the subject line.
First Congregational Church of Memphis (First Congo)