POSITION TITLE: Director of Development FLSA STANDARD: Exempt, Regular – Full Time
REPORTS TO: Director of Development and Comm ANNUAL COMPENSATION: $70,000 – $75,000
DIRECT REPORTS: 1 (Based on Experience)
WHAT IS BRIDGES USA?
BRIDGES is a 100-year-old, Memphis-based youth development organization. BRIDGES unites and inspires diverse young people to become confident and courageous leaders committed to community transformation.
WHY WORK AT BRIDGES?
BRIDGES offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including a 401(k) plan, 20+ days of annual paid leave, good work-life balance, and a dog-friendly work environment.
The Director of Development plans, coordinates, and implements BRIDGES’ annual fundraising strategies and goals and ensures budgeted goals are met. The work requires building and maintaining donor relationships; identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding best development practices; securing funding for special non-recurring projects; overseeing related communications initiatives and fundraising events; and leading and developing direct reports.
1. Maintain oversight and participate actively in all fundraising activities including individual giving, grants, special events, direct mail appeals, and corporate partnership initiatives in support of BRIDGES’s annual fundraising.
2. Develop strategies for existing and prospective donors to effectively move them through a cycle of giving.
3. Oversee the development, submission, and retention of grant requests for funds from government, corporations, and faith-based institutions.
4. Serve as a public representative of the organization, including cultivating relationships with community members and supporters to build awareness of and commitment to BRIDGES’ work.
5. Lead Donor Relations Coordinator, providing strategic direction around donor cycle of giving and associated project management, including implementing gift tracking, gift opportunity management, and reporting in Salesforce.
Administrative Responsibilities (25%)
In partnership with the Vice President of Development and/or Director of Communications:
1. Budget, forecast, and track progress of organizational fundraising goals.
2. Oversee the development and management of all online and social media communications vehicles to drive and support annual fundraising strategies.
3. Oversee creative design for BRIDGES’ marketing and promotional materials related to fundraising campaigns to increase reach and impact and ensure consistency.
4. Facilitate regular reviews of project task performance.
1. Five-seven (5-7) years of direct fundraising experience with increased responsibility in development, external sales, or a related field and demonstrated success in achieving revenue targets.
2. Effective written, verbal, and interpersonal skills with ability to engage effectively with a wide range of individuals in a diverse community, including program partners, board members, staff, and other such stakeholders.
3. Proven research and grant-writing skills, confident asking funders, sponsors, and others to contribute money and time.
4. Hands-on experience working with Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite to develop grant proposals, associated budgets, and other related development campaign materials.
5. Ability to perform basic mathematical functions, compile data, create reports, and proofread and maintain documents, records, and correspondence with strong attention to detail.
1. 10+ years of fundraising experience
2. Demonstrated grant-writing experience; ability to meet fundraising goals successfully on an ongoing basis
3. Experience developing, implementing, and managing strategic short- and long-term fundraising plans and projects; ability to prioritize work, organize resources organization-wide, solve problems, and meet submission deadlines
4. Experience working with Salesforce donor management software; ability to identify ways to use the system to improve business processes
5. Proactive leader and self-starter with five or more years of management experience who is skilled in maintaining a high degree of accuracy, confidentiality, and professionalism with a strong commitment to diversity and youth-adult equity
Work is performed under general supervision of the Vice President of Development and requires specialized training, experience, and knowledge.
1. Work hours are 8:30 am – 5:00 pm to include some evenings and weekends as needed
2. Work is performed in a hybrid environment at BRIDGES Center and other locations approved by the Vice President of Development
3. Must have dependable transportation to travel to and from fundraising meetings and events
In compliance with applicable law, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
BRIDGES strives for a workplace that is diverse and inclusive. We encourage qualified individuals of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people with disabilities, and veterans.