The Position Overview:
At ALLMemphis, our strength is the efficiency and expertise with which we deliver leading-edge training, mentorship, and coaching in foundational literacy to build teacher talent and student reading outcomes in our community. We’re proud to set the standard for success in our field and we have an aggressive and exciting five-year strategic plan to grow our reach.
To help us continue our growth, we’re seeking a Director of Development and Communication (DDC) to join our highly talented team and help build our financial future. As an ideal candidate, you have strong communication skills, a passion for learning, a desire to cultivate new and existing relationships, and excitement for building new systems.
You will work closely with the Executive Director (ED) and leadership team to develop and implement a strategy for corporate and major gift relationships to meet the goals of the organization. The primary objective is to increase financial donations to ALLMemphis and develop long-term relationships built on a firm understanding of donors’ interests, passions, and values.
You will also work closely with our PR team to build and manage the brand identity and all aspects of marketing and communications across our service area to raise awareness of ALLMemphis through the Mid-South and beyond. A successful candidate must be passionate about our mission and the families we serve. See our website for additional information!
Responsibilities and Essential Functions
Development and Fundraising
Summary: Build and implement a $3 million annual development program. Identify and secure individual, corporate, foundation, and government partners, develop target list of prospects, and create customized engagement, solicitation, and stewardship plans for donors with a focus on major gifts. Understand the marketing and business needs of corporations and foundations and develop and implement a revenue generation strategy that addresses these needs. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Create an annual comprehensive development plan in collaboration with the ED with targeted goals, objectives, methods, and quantifiable outcomes which will achieve budgeted goals.
- Supervise, research, and produce grant applications as appropriate. Maintain a calendar of grant and report deadlines. Establish and track annual expectations for prospecting, grant attainment, and grant compliance.
- Deepen all donor alliances through regular, relevant communications and stewardship. Expand the donor base. Maintain a portfolio of principal donors and facilitate relationships between donors and executive team.
- Manage all fundraising events; work with the leadership and program teams to oversee all development aspects of fundraising and cultivation.
- Create powerful communication materials to support philanthropic efforts; write powerful and inspiring letters and proposals and prepare dynamic presentations customized for target audiences.
- Serve as key liaison to the Board of Directors and develop strong relationships with local Board Members.
- Work with and provide training for the ALLMemphis Board and senior leadership team to enhance fundraising activities, establish an overall culture of philanthropy, and solicit and close gifts.
- Serve as an articulate, passionate, and visible spokesperson for ALLMemphis.
- Design, select, and manage development team or other relevant team members.
Marketing and Public Relations
Summary: Works independently and with our public relations team to:
- Manage a strong communications/public relations program that will result in increased support and raised community awareness. Supervise ALLMemphis’ website and social media i.e., design, content, and updates/revisions.
- Develop and implement communications to ensure regular stewardship of donors. This includes thank-you campaigns, newsletters, email blasts, as well as new ideas for how we can keep donors (prospects) informed.
- Oversee events and community campaigns. Ensure the planning and implementation of funding campaigns, events, and activities. Provide a comprehensive overview of the community relations program and results.
- Protect ALLMemphis’ image by ensuring all internal and external communications are consistent with mission and vision. Coordinate the production of materials i.e., reports, newsletters, brochures, signs, posters, displays, etc.
Monitoring and Reporting
- Prepare, submit, and monitor periodic activity reports focused on achieving gift revenue goals.
- Work within the assigned database and maintain accurate, complete, and timely donor records.
Other Team Duties
- As needed to contribute to the overall needs and growth of ALLMemphis. These may include, but are not limited to:
- Work with ED to understand vision and develop new initiatives and strategic activities.
- Additional duties or tasks to support the mission as directed by the ED.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred
- 4+ years of nonprofit fundraising experience. Development and major gift experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively
- Self-starter with strong initiative, working within a collaborative team-based organization
- Results-oriented. Identify and act on problems. Consistently make decisions that resolve problems
- Solid, persuasive written and oral communication skills
- Full mastery of relevant technology and utilize a data-driven decision-making process
- Strong sense of customer service, responding with urgency to the needs and requests of others
- Experience working with diverse populations and stakeholders
Additional Desired Qualifications
- Knowledge of the Memphis donor community
- Experience managing others
- Experience in the field of education and knowledge of K-2 foundational literacy needs
To apply, please send a one-page cover letter and resume to the Executive Director, Krista Johnson (email@example.com) with ‘Director of Development and Communications’ in the subject line. We will be reviewing applications and conducting interviews on a rolling basis beginning July 27th, 2022. ALLMemphis celebrates diversity and does not discriminate on basis of race, religion, sexual orientation, ethnic or national origin in admission or in any other activities or programs.
ALLMemphis is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work. There is more work to be done but with the contributions of our employees, partners, and community we can build an inclusive culture that celebrates the diverse voices that make our Memphis community so powerful.