Hosting the first pledge drive of their short history is something that the DJs of WYXR are taking seriously. But not so seriously that it won’t be a lot of fun. WYXR has poured their special brand of Memphis creativity into planning a pledge drive week that will have you turning the dial to hear more, and we’ve got details.
First up is a line up of in-studio music that’s built to catch your ear and interest—not to mention a big announcement that will happen first on the station:
- Tia Henderson: Saturday, April 24, 2-4 p.m. (On “Junior’s Café)
- Ibex Clone: Sunday, April 25, between 7-8 p.m., (On “Unpopular Pop Show”)
- T.O. Crivens: Monday, April 26, at 12 p.m. (On “Junior’s Café”)
- Don Bryant: Tuesday, April 27, 3 p.m. (On “The Idle Hour”)
- MEMPHO Music Festival Lineup Announcement: Wednesday, April 28, noon (On “Junior’s Café”)
- Cyrena Wages w/ Joe Restivo: Thursday, April 29, 12 p.m. (On “Junior’s Café”)
- Life, Explicit: Friday, April 30, 12 p.m. (On “Junior’s Café”)
- Jai Musiq: Friday, April 30, 8-10 p.m. (On “Pre-Game Radio”)
Adding to the in-studio music will be some mixing and matching of radio show hosts as many of the DJs will partner up with their friends and favorite hosts to create mashups of the shows and music you love.
Next up will be the flair that comes from having a radio station in the Crosstown Concourse building. The hallway outside the studio is lined with WYXR Raised By Sound Pledge Drive posters and they’ve added a section to feature the art and images that have been created by and for the shows of many of the 70+ DJs who volunteer on the section. It’s worth stopping by to check out when you’re there to peek in the window at the DJs in action and talk to the volunteers who will be set up outside the studio space with WYXR tshirts and stickers and more to add to your Memphis-centric collections.
If you’ve listened in to 91.7 in the last 10 months since they joined the airwaves, we can bet you’ve heard something great—whether it was something new, something old, something familiar, or something completely unexpected. This week, take the time to tune in, call in, and log on to show your support for some of the most diverse and creative radio in the country. They’re accepting donations over the phone (901.460.3031) and at wyxr.org—and a quick glance shows that they’ve got an especially strong line up of WYXR membership swag to show their thanks for the community that makes it all possible.