Featured image: Noah Glenn
With all the great things going on in the 901 these days, have you ever been overwhelmed with choices? Well, you’re in luck! We’ve put together a weekly post called The Weekender, filled with a handy schedule to help you hit some of our best bets for an amazing weekend. You can follow this schedule to a T, or use it as a launching point to plan your own adventure! The Weekender is not meant to be exhaustive, but will include our suggestions to help you plan the weekend ahead.
Friday, December 2nd
- 3pm – Start your weekend early at the Choose901 Holiday Pop-Up Shop!
- 5pm – Go to the gallery opening of After School Special at ArtsMemphis, celebrate First Fridays with the businesses of Broad Avenue, go to the Woodruff-Fontaine Victorian Yuletide Open House, or stop by the grand opening of Dodici at Bari Ristorante.
- 7pm – Go to Collierville’s Christmas Parade, check out Say It Like It Is, go to Toy Bash 2016, listen to Gin Wigmore at Hi Tone, see Memphis Matters at Playback Memphis, or take part in a Ladies’ Night shopping experience at The Gingerbread House.
- 8pm – Take the family ice skating and check out Zoo Lights, go to Enchanted Forest Fridays at Pink Palace, or see the bilingual play Tio Pancho: A Christmas Story.
Saturday, December 3rd
- 9am – Cheer on St Jude Marathon runners in Crosstown
- 10am – Drop off some gifts at the WMC5 & Porter-Leath Toy Drive, cheer on St. Jude Marathon runners with I Love Memphis, shop the Gingerbread House Sweet Shopping Extravaganza, visit the Farmers Market Christmas Craft Show, or attend the White Privilege Workshop 2.
- 12pm – Take the kids to Timeless Holiday for holiday fun and crafts, go to the Southern Junkers Vintage Market, go to Mutts for MIFA, take your pets to Mutt Island‘s grand opening celebration, or shop at Soulsville USA’s Christmas Bazaar.
- 2pm – Get some shopping done at the Choose901 Holiday Pop-Up Shop, celebrate National Cookie Day at Makeda’s, go to Ghost River’s Small Shop Saturday, or go to the Howling Holiday Open House.
- 4pm – Check out Downtown Memphis’ Holiday Parade or see a movie at Baobab Filmhouse.
- 7pm – Visit the Urban Art Gallery exhibit, go to Snowy Nights at Memphis Botanic Garden, take part in the 12th Annual Stumbling Santa Pub Crawl, or watch the Memphis Grizzlies take on the Lakers (don’t forget about our pre-game party!), or listen to some tunes at Brinner: Breakfast For Dinner.
- 10pm – Catch Southern Avenue at Loflin Yard, go to the HoHoHo Burlesque Show and Silent Auction to benefit Memphis Roller Derby, or check out EXILE at CANVAS of Memphis.
Sunday, December 4th
- 1pm – Hang out at Rec Room’s Sci-Fi Fest: “A Celebration of Everything Space!”, have Brunch at the Brewery, or enjoy Family Ornament Making with The Art Project.
- 3pm – Enjoy Memphis Symphony Orchestra’s Magic of Memphis, go to the Metal Museum’s Holiday Open House, or Paint a Pup with Streetdog Foundation at Pinot’s Palette.
- 5pm – Listen to Paul Taylor at Loflin Yard or go to an exhibition of Evon Gokturk “A Life’s Work” at Circuitous Succession Gallery.
- 7pm – Go to Starry Nights at Shelby Farms, enjoy a Christmas Service of Lessons and Carols, go to Black Love Live, listen to Andra Day at Minglewood Hall, go to The Walking Dead Watch Party at Sports Junction, or watch a performance of The Santaland Diaries.
Need more ideas?
- See all the December events
- Plan ahead with our Holiday Event Guide
- Find unique places to watch movies
- Enjoy Memphis for free
- Explore our foodie bucket list
- Go on a scavenger hunt for murals
- Discover where to make friends in Memphis
- Plan ahead with affordable date ideas
- See all the upcoming festivals
- Try a food truck around town
- Learn where you can buy and create art in Memphis
- Go bowling with friends or family
- Find ways you can volunteer in Memphis
Show us how you enjoy Memphis this weekend by tagging your photos with #Choose901 on Twitter and Instagram. You might get featured on our Instagram page or blog!