Featured photo: Kate Lareau
With all the great things going on in the 901 these days, have you ever been overwhelmed with choices? Well, you’re in luck! We’ve put together a weekly post called The Weekender, filled with a handy schedule to help you hit some of our best bets for an amazing weekend. You can follow this schedule to a T, or use it as a launching point to plan your own adventure! The Weekender is not meant to be exhaustive, but will include our suggestions to help you plan the weekend ahead.
Friday, December 9th
- 12pm – Start your weekend early, and have lunch at a food truck around town.
- 5pm – Take the family to Make-A-Wish Midsouth’s Tree Lighting Ceremony, go to Christmas in Memphis at The Guest House at Graceland, go to Crosstown Arts for The Moonpie Project Presents Vitus Shell, select the next great entrepreneurial idea at LITE Memphis Pitch Night.
- 7pm – Go to Stax Music Academy Holiday Concert, enjoy a performance of Magic Tree House: A Ghost Tale for Mr. Dickens Jr., check out South Main Sounds Songwriter Night, or stop by Wiseacre’s Tacky Sweater Party.
- 8pm – Listen to The Band CAMINO at Otherlands, see comedian Shane Mauss at RockHouse Live, go to Lafayette’s for music from the Marcella Simien Trio, or go to Memphis Zoo Lights.
Saturday, December 10th
- 10am – Bring the kids to Santa on the Square in Collierville, go to Breakfast with Santa at the Fire Museum, or take your four-legged friends to The Humane Society’s Deck the Paws.
- 11am – Looking for a job? Stop by the Crosstown Concourse Job Fair
- 12pm – Shop local at the 2016 Memphis Indie Holiday Market, the Holiday Seasonal Crosstown Market, or the Metal Museum Holiday Store.
- 2pm – Head to Clayborn Temple’s Open House, watch Germantown’s Christmas Parade, or see Ballet Memphis’ performance of The Nutcracker.
- 5pm – Go to the 2nd MadAir Decks Exhibition, go to a South Main Sounds Benefit Concert for The Summers Family, or enjoy the opening day of the Fourth Bluff Ice Rink.
- 7pm – Hang out at Memphis City Football Club Fan Night, go to The Santa Cause Toy Drive & Bachelor Auction, enjoy Time Warp Drive-In’s Strange Christmas, catch the Memphis Grizzlies play the Golden State Warriors, go to the Moonshine Mistletoe Bash, or check out the Brennan Villines Holiday Block Party.
- 10pm – Go to the 12th Annual Bloodshot Christmas, hang out at Daisyland XL feat Bear Grillz at the New Daisy Theatre, or get to Loflin Yard for Blues in the Barn with The Daddy Mack Blues Band.
Sunday, December 11th
- 12pm – Go to the Memphis Grilled Cheese Festival, have Brunch at the Brewery with Ghost River, or go to Mean Girls Trivia and Brunch at Bleu.
- 2pm – Go to the Holiday Gift and Art Market 2016, enjoy Collierville Arts Council’s A Christmas Story, The Musical, go to Squarespace 101 with Creative Works: Memphis, or Meet Lol Tolhurst of The Cure at his book signing at The Booksellers at Laurelwood.
- 5pm – Have S’mores with Santa at Memphis Botanic Garden, go to Neil’s Music Room for BandOfBrothers, or check out the Parker Redmond Band at High Cotton Brewing Co.
- 7pm – Go to Christmas Around the World, go to Sports Junction for a Walking Dead Watch Party, listen to A Gospel According To Jazz with Kirk Whalum at Clayborn Temple, or hang out at Rec Room for Pokémon Sun-Days.
Need more ideas?
- See all the December events
- Plan ahead with our Holiday Event Guide
- Find unique places to watch movies
- Enjoy Memphis for free
- Explore our foodie bucket list
- Go on a scavenger hunt for murals
- Discover where to make friends in Memphis
- Plan ahead with affordable date ideas
- See all the upcoming festivals
- Try a food truck around town
- Learn where you can buy and create art in Memphis
- Go bowling with friends or family
- Find ways you can volunteer in Memphis
Show us how you enjoy Memphis this weekend by tagging your photos with #Choose901 on Twitter and Instagram. You might get featured on our Instagram page or blog!