One of the best times of the year is swiftly approaching… Memphis in May – a time where Memphians and visitors alike can experience music from their favorite artists, fill their bellies with award-winning barbeque, and even lace up those sneaks to hit the ground running!
Four events make up the Memphis in May International Festival: Beale Street Music Festival, World Championship Barbeque Cooking Contest, The International Salute to Ghana, and the Great American River Run. Volunteers are essential to making each one of the events successful, and I’m here to convince you to play a part in making it all happen.
“Community-based festivals wouldn’t be able to exist without the volunteer efforts and the people behind the scenes who not only help get things ready for the events, but actually produce them,” said Becky Genoways, Program Specialist.
“As one of the largest civic festivals in the United States, Memphis in May requires the assistance of hundreds of volunteers who share a passion for Memphis and enjoy this opportunity to present our culture to the world while being part of the biggest events Memphis hosts each year,” said James L. Holt, president and CEO of Memphis in May International Festival.
Here’s some of my two cents:
- You get to spend the weekend meeting hundreds of new people, so you may end up with a few new besties or… maybe a new boo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- You get free parking and shuttles to the events, free meals and free entry, plus a free tee (y’all know y’all want the free shirt)
- You get bragging rights on getting to say that you worked for one of Oprah’s 14 Best Summer Festivals That You Won’t Want to Miss.
- If all that plus OPRAH didn’t win you over, I don’t know what will.
There are 17 committees you can sign up for, and no experience is necessary! Just you, your positive attitude, and your helping hands are enough to get the job done.
- International Education
- Barbecue Administration
- Runner’s Expo
- International Programming
- Volunteer Services
- Water Stations
- Barbecue Judging
- Runners’ Hospitality
- Artist Transportation
- Artist Hospitality