With all the great things going on in the 901 these days, have you ever been overwhelmed with choices? Well, you’re in luck! Every week we curate The Weekender, a post filled with a handy list to help you hit some of our best bets for an amazing weekend.
The Weekender is not meant to be exhaustive but will include our suggestions to help you plan the weekend ahead. In the case of inclement weather, check with each event’s page for updates. See all upcoming events here.
Friday, Jan. 18
- Get all cozied up during Firepit Fridays.
- Science of Beer is basically a science fair for adults.
- Discover new talent and delight in the dope vibes presented at DreamFest The Concert.
- Laugh, cry, and eat pie during Waitress The Musical at The Orpheum.
- Greyhound Memphis cocktail bar is open and ready to pour it up, pour it up.
- Hu. Diner is serving up a new take on comfort food.
- Move and groove to your own beat during Silent Party Memphis 90’s vs Now.
- Make a meaning impact like Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. during MLK Days of Service.
- Hear some tunes and watch Growlers get black-LIT during Blackout!
- Put your healthy eating resolution on pause for the Muddy’s Kitchen Tasting Tour.
- Watch the Harlem Globetrotters do some bank shots and back handsprings at the Fedex Forum.
- Have a lovely Friday night in the lamp light with Rosey, Race Tracer, Late Night Cardigan, and Social Circle.
- Middle and high school music makers are invited to connect and learn a little something from local industry professionals.
- Get down with your boogie shoes during 3RD Fridayz at CANVAS.
- Sip liquid courage and sing a song during Karaoke on Tap at Crosstown Brewing Company.
Saturday, Jan. 19
- Hear the sounds of a better America with the John Kilzer Album Release at Crosstown Arts.
- Investigate what’s hiding in the vault at Elmwood during What Lies Beneath: Stories and Secrets of the Cottage.
- Run along the trails of the Wolf River 5K.
- March alongside your fellow females to create transformatice social change during #WomensWave Women’s March Memphis.
- Purge your shelves for the Books on Beale Book Drive.
- It’s the kick off of the Run the 901 race series.
- New Ballet Ensemble is offering free dance, theatre, music and spoken word workshops for all ages at MLK Arts Unite.
- Try your hand at jewelry making at the Metal Museum.
- Be mesmerized by magic at the Woodruff Fontaine House.
- Bring flowers back to the Elmwood Cemetery during the inaugural year of Cradle Gardening: Let’s Get Started.
- Hear compositions by one of the greats at the Beethoven Club Concerts@Five.
- They talking about culture during DreamFest Covers and Conversations.
- MLK Day of Service cleanup with Midtown Memphis Development Corporation
- Someone looks familiar at Back When Mike Was Kate.
- Introduce your little ones to Indian culture through dance during Peanut Butter & Jam: Bollywood & Beyond at GPAC.
- Watch as feisty females roast each other during the You Look Like All Ladies comedy show.
- Get funky with City Champs at B-SIDE.
- Kick off season 6 of the Time Warp Drive-In Series with a “Winter Warp”: Robocop Double Feature
- Hear refreshingly catch tunes during Refreshingly Catchy at Hi Tone.
- Speak openly about your hopes, dreams, fears and joys with Playback Memphis at Community Matters at Caritas.
- Memphis House mafia presents: Soul in the City at Canvas.
- Break out the statement earrings and leg wamers for 80’s Night at Pinot’s Palette.
- Find out what’s in the vault at Elmwood Cemetery.
- Come code with your kiddos at Family Fun Day of Coding.
- Watch the romance blossom between Lady and the Tramp at the Pink Palace Museum.
- Celebrate Dolly Parton’s birthday and sip some Wiseacre favorites.
Sunday, Jan. 20
- Take home a beautifully hand made bowl to fight local hunger during the 2019 Memphis Empty Bowls Project.
- Close out DreamFest Weekend w/ Suavo J @ DreamFest Weekend 8: Memphis Cypher Series.
- Learn how to fight for social justice the right way at the Civil Disobedience Leadership Training.
- Take a look into the infinite life of Tuck Everlasting at Playhouse on the Square.
- Pull it together for Sunday Funday at Hard Rock Cafe during Top Off Sundays Reloaded
- Gangsta Boo w/ Tori WhoDat are set to tear it up at Railgarten.
- Watch as School of Rock Memphis & Germantown join forces to bring the house down at Minglewood Hall.
- Put ya praise hands in the air at Imagene’s Gospel Brunch & Drag Show.
- Throw back a few mimosas and battle your friends at the Tipsy Nerf Battle Brunch.
- Issa a celebration of choice at the Abortion Storysharing & Karaoke Celebration.
Monday, Jan. 21
- Donate a canned food item at the National Civil Rights Museum to receive free admission for King Day 2019.
- In This Place: Conversations for Restoration at Historic Clayborn Temple
- March and reflect on MLK’s work in solidarity with Mid-South Peace and Justice Center.
- Join a panel of thoughtful leaders for meaningful conversations surrounding the restoration of Clayborn Temple during the first installment of the In this Place Series at Clayborn.
- The Memphis Grizzlies take on the New Orleans Pelicans at the FedEx Forum.
- AutoZone Park is hiring Event Staff.
- Beautify the T.O Fuller State Park, the Riverfront parks, the Wolf River Greenway, the Spanish American War Park, and the Belt line neighborhood for MLK Days of Service.
- Memphis Music Monday is back at the Hard Rock Cafe.
- Hang with Mary Gagz and Her Gaggle of Dragz at Bar DKDC.
Need more ideas?
- See more of what’s happening this weekend in our Events Calendar.
- Find unique places to watch movies
- Enjoy Memphis for free
- Explore our foodie bucket list
- Discover where to make friends in Memphis
- Try a food truck around town
- Go bowling with friends or family
- Find ways you can volunteer in Memphis