With all the great things going on in the 901 these days, have you ever been overwhelmed with choices? Well, you’re in luck! Every week we curate The Weekender, a post filled with a handy schedule to help you hit some of our best bets for an amazing weekend.
You can follow this schedule to a T, or use it as a launching point to plan your own adventure! The Weekender is not meant to be exhaustive, but will include our suggestions to help you plan the weekend ahead. In the case of inclement weather, check with each event’s page for updates.
Friday, September 7th
- 4pm – Join a discussion on placemaking at Urban M: Inclusive City Building for the Future with Jay Pitter, or explore the selection at Shop Her Closet to benefit Memphis Fashion Network.
- 5pm – Swing by Sidewalk Sale – First Fridays on Broad, witness a goat parade thanks to International Goat Days Festival 2018, admire the local color at the Due South Co-Op’s group photography exhibition Four Kinds of Y’all, or head to the Delta Fair & Music Festival for the night.
- 6:00 – Toss on something green and enjoy botanical cocktails at Art on the Rocks, or mingle before an evening of shorts at Outflix Film Festival 21.
- 7:30pm – See the “Phantom” sequel, Love Never Dies at The Orpheum, watch the best of the best step teams at The Stompdown at Cannon Center, or see Tank and Memphis’ own K. Michelle at Classic Music Festival at the Landers Center.
- 10:30pm – Sway to some swamp soul with Marcella & Her Lovers + Bar DKDC.
Saturday, September 8th
- 8am- Show your pride for Orange Mound at the Orange Mound Parade.
8:30am- Get those creative juices flowing during the Positively Creative Summit,
- 9am- See what young filmmakers have been whipping up at Indie Memphis Youth Film Fest.
- 10am- Help Paint Memphis get ready for Paint Memphis.
- 11:30am- Bounce from bar to bar during the Back to School Bar Crawl.
- 12pm- Enjoy a flick or two during Outflix Film Fest.
- 1pm- Cheer on the Tigers at the Casual Pint.
- 2pm- See how Love Never Dies at the Orpheum Theatre.
- 4pm- Bring your appetite to the Grand Opening of New Wing Order Downtown.
- 5:30- Understand the Art of Addiction at Crosstown Arts.
- 6pm- Cheer on your faves at the Southern Heritage Classic, use crystals for self-care at Delta Groove Yoga, and take a look at what “shelter” means w/ Ballet Memphis.
- 6:30pm – Experience Fireworks at the Memphis Redbirds Playoff Game
- 7pm- Hear from some of local hip-hop’s best during Let the Drummer Get Some, hunt some ghouls around South Main, rendezvous at the Memphis Zoo, and enjoy free tunes at the Levitt Shell.
- 7:30pm- Drink a little and laugh a lot at Memphis Made or go to Aaron James’ EP Release Show: “Hibernate”
- 8pm- Celebrate 5 years of Wiseacre with the Jack Oblivian Band and tune in to Travis Linville at Railgarten.
- 9pm- Embrace your weird at The Weirdo Show, party with Yung Joc and Lil’ Scrappy at Minglewood, “Get Your Happy On” with the Norman Jackson Band, watch UFC punches fly at the Rec Room.
- 9:30pm- Break out your dancing shoes for Silent Disco at Railgarten.
Sunday, September 9th
- Noon – Take your pick of brunch fun with Maciel’s Highland, Goose Brunch Featuring Wok’n in Memphis & DJ Maverick, Railgarten’s Brunch Series feat. Davis Coen, or Brunch at the Brewery with Ghost River.
- 2pm – Play in the Cornhole Tournaments at Loflin Yard, see Ballet Memphis present “Shelter”, or learn about the practice of art therapy at the Brooks Museum.
- 2:30pm – Check out Music at the Winery
- 3pm – See Harlan T. Bobo w/ Paul Taylor during the River Series at the Harbor Town Amphitheater
- 5pm – Pop by Court Square for Pop Up Sunset Jazz
- 7pm – See Matt and Kim at New Daisy Theatre, or Reba Russell Band at the Levitt Shell.
Need more ideas?
- See more of what’s happening this weekend in our September Events Guide.
- Find unique places to watch movies
- Enjoy Memphis for free
- Explore our foodie bucket list
- Discover where to make friends in Memphis
- Plan ahead with affordable date ideas and ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day
- Try a food truck around town
- Go bowling with friends or family
- Find ways you can volunteer in Memphis