With all the great things going on in the 901 these days, have you ever been overwhelmed with choices? Well, you’re in luck! Every week we curate The Weekender, a post filled with a handy schedule to help you hit some of our best bets for an amazing weekend.
You can follow this schedule to a T, or use it as a launching point to plan your own adventure! The Weekender is not meant to be exhaustive, but will include our suggestions to help you plan the weekend ahead. In the case of inclement weather, check with each event’s page for updates.
Friday, September 21st
- 4pm- Get lost in the Mid-South Maze.
- 6pm- Bike to Art, taste your way through Muddy’s kitchen, catch a flick at Tobey Park for Hispanic Heritage Month, hear soulful sounds at the National Civil Rights Museum, and laugh at Shakespeare’s first comedy at Beale Street Landing.
- 6:30pm- See Life, Explicit at Hi Tone.
- 7pm- Catch Adam Wakefield at Minglewood Hall, Johnny O’Neal at GPAC, and the Rusty Pieces at Cafe Ole, see love get tested during Once on This Island Jr, hear some free opera at Memphis Slim House, and discover fresh talent w/ South Main Sounds.
- 8pm- Figure out who dun it during the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, watch Hope Clayborn get “saxxy” at Railgarten, see some wrastlin’ at Rec Room, get 5-in-a-row during Cerrito Bingo at Memphis Made, and hear the Bluff City Liars be funny on the fly at TheatreWorks.
- 9pm- Get prescribed laughter during the Group Therapy: September Show at Midtown Crossing Grill and perform your best Mariah Carey for karaoke at the Casual Pint.
- 10pm- Experience the high-energy of Almost Famous at Lafayette’s Music Room and glow during Hoist Club Night at Dru’s Place.
Saturday, September 22nd
- 7am – Enjoy a family-friendly 5K and post-race festivities at Memphis St. Jude Walk/Run to End Childhood Cancer
- 9:30am – Get moving with Peanut Butter & Jam — Obruni Dance band, Memphis Yoga Festival, or Recess Community Class
- 11am – Run into 30 Days of Opera while you shop the freshness at Memphis Farmers Market, or go by the Welcoming Week Celebration Day at the Church Health YMCA at Crosstown.
- Noon – Let Revolutions Co-op take you on a tour of four breweries for a good cause at Tour de Brewer #4, accio your pals and go get sorted at PotterFest, pick a supply from the gift list and go say hey at Hattiloo’s Birthday Party, or Meet and Greet Adoptable Pets and add some cuddles to your household.
- 2pm – Get that dog yet? No? There’s also Turbo Dog Adoption with Humane Society of Memphis & Shelby Co at The Casual Pint, or you can welcome fall by taking a spin at First Day of Autumn Glide Ride with the Heights Line Ambassadors.
- 4pm – Celebrate Oktoberfest at Railgarten, or taste craft beers at Collierville Brew Fest to benefit Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital.
- 6pm – Get that lantern photo op at Vietnamese Mid-Autumn Festival at Crosstown Concourse, peep the eclectic lineup at the Big Fun Show, or swing by the opening of Lurlynn Franklin | Fabled Truths at Orange Mound Gallery
- 7pm – Head to Memphis Slim House for tunes at Live from Melvin’s Backyard, pull up a blanket at North Mississippi Allstars at Levitt Shell, get a little wacky with some “deranged cinema” at Time Warp Drive In: John Waters, or listen up at Spillit Center Stage: Time Out a partnership with Just City
- 8pm – Get into some creative checkin’ and improv insults at Nick Cannon Wild ‘N Out Live at FedExForum, or join Cazateatro for The Latin Soul In You – A Multicultural and Bilingual play.
- 9pm- Have an enchanted evening with Gothic flair at Arcana: Midsummer Nightmares, or sip specialty cocktails while Faith Evans Ruch and the gang do soulful, bluesy, country things at Bar DKDC
Sunday, September 23rd
- 8am- Find your center at City & State.
- 12pm- Rock out w/ School of Rock at Railgarten and play that funky music at the Shop-a-Jam.
- 1pm- Enjoy some Bluegrass with your brunch at Crosstown Brewery.
- 2pm- Test your toss at Loflin Yard and relive the early 80’s at Railgarten.
- 3pm- Hear Cameron Bethany w/ Kid Maestro during the River Series at the Harbor Town Amphitheater.
- 4pm- Relax with some live music at Celtic Crossing and Lafayette’s Music Room.
- 6pm- Kick off Memphis Pride w/ Gay Wrath at Bar DKDC, celebrate curves at the Weight is Over Fashion Show, recognize the classics during Riff Wars at Railgarten, and get bendy along the river.
- 7pm- Discover what Trap Jazz sounds like at Rumba Room, hear from the conglomerate of musical prodigies that make up Black Cream at Growlers, and the sounds of JJ Grey and Mofro at Minglewood Hall.
- 8pm- Give ears to Grammy award winning artist Tamia at the New Daisy Theatre.
- 10pm- Enjoy free tunes at Canvas.
Need more ideas?
- See more of what’s happening this weekend in our September Events Guide.
- Find unique places to watch movies
- Enjoy Memphis for free
- Explore our foodie bucket list
- Discover where to make friends in Memphis
- Plan ahead with affordable date ideas and ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day
- Try a food truck around town
- Go bowling with friends or family
- Find ways you can volunteer in Memphis