With all the great things going on in the 901 these days, have you ever been overwhelmed with choices? Well, you’re in luck! Every week we curate The Weekender, a post filled with a handy list to help you hit some of our best bets for an amazing weekend.
The Weekender is not meant to be exhaustive but will include our suggestions to help you plan the weekend ahead. In the case of inclement weather, check with each event’s page for updates. See all upcoming events here.
Friday, September 20
- Shop local during the Fall Night Market along the river.
- Celebrate what’s in the box at Unbox: BOXLOT’s Grand Opening Party.
- Bodybuilding + heavy metal music + camp horror flicks will make for quite the raucous night at the new Black Lodge with Thor.
- Many beats will be dropped during the Zebra Lounge Disco House.
- We’re not sure why, but people might try to run across the Mississippi during Storm the Mississippi River—It Can’t Drown All of Us.
- Enjoy A Night of Memphis Deep Soul Gospel at Crosstown Theater.
- Avoid going to prison or being blasted away by the government and Storm Area 51 Ice Cream instead.
- Catch DJ Chandler Bling and Nya Sanders spinning for the last Summer Sets of the season.
- Climate Change is real and you can voice your concerns at the Global Climate Change Strike.
- Walk the Mid-South Maze before the chainsaw man arrives.
- Say bye to summer and ring in harvest season with the DJs at Obscura: A Gothic Affair.
- Fill up on deep-fried delights and ride at the Mid-South Fair.
- Kick back on the lawn with a cold beer for Jack Oblivian & Some Sheiks at the Shell.
- Have dinner at The Arcade to support Operation Broken Silence.
- Check into Midtown Crossing Grill for a little Group Therapy cuz laughter’s the best medicine.
- Watch the Bluff City Liars make it up as they go at WWW Dot Dot Dot at TheatreWorks.
- Yuk it up with Mo Alexander at his live recording for Stand Up! Records at Sun Studio.
Saturday, September 21
- Dance the dances, drink the drinks and eat the eats created by the Latinx community during Latin Fest 2019.
- No will judge how many cookies you eat during Makeda’s 20th Anniversary Block Party.
- Bring the whole family out for a day of play at My Big Backyard Birthday Party then ditch the kids for the grown folks Birthday Bash that evening.
- Channel your inner Picasso for Memphis Paint on the River.
- Learn how to turn your creativity into coins during the Positively Creative Summit.
- What does a Fruity Pebble Macaron taste like? You’ll find out during the French Macaron Tasting Event.
- School of Rock Memphis has put together a full day of brews and tunes at Rocktoberfest.
- Toss a few back in style at the Elixir Ultimate Cocktail Party.
- New Wing Order is parking at Memphis Made Brewing Company to celebrate their One Year Anniversary.
- Find something to add to your collection of local goodies at the Modern Art Market.
- Peruse the Southern Junkers Vintage Market for vintage finds and antiques.
- Local DJs are going head to head during DJ Mania at Rec Room.
- Those Pretty Wrongs are joining forces with the Memphis Symphony Orchestra for a musical collab in the Green Room.
- The female bad-assery featured in Time Warp Drive In: Women in Arms 2 cannot be measured.
- Share a beer with a ghoul during the Egbert IPL Release and Woodruff Fontaine Ghost Tour.
- Todd Snider is making his way back to Memphis to jam in The Green Room.
- Load up on grub during the first Whitehaven Food Truck Festival.
- It’s Kalyn Fay‘s turn to provide the tunes during Folk All Y’all.
- Vibe to the Afrobeats during the Afro Carribean Fusion Party.
- TN Shakespeare Co. is dropping bars of iambic pentameter during Pericles at Wiseacre Brewery.
- Know what You Look Like? They’ll tell you at the P&H.
- Visual, musical, and performance artist Lawrence Matthews will transform The Barton House visually and sonically during The Sub-Urban Tour with Don Lifted.
Sunday, September 22
- Moneybagg Yo turns 28 and y’all know that means it’s time to party.
- Drop off some office supplies and enjoy the cake and ice cream during the Hatti-birthday Party.
- Feast your eyes on the latest in plus size fashion during The Weight is Over Fashion Show
- 60’s instrumental R&B and indie rock will fill your ears as Impala and Alicja Pop take the stage during the River Series at Harbor Town Amphitheater.
- Bask in the glow of Aztec Sun, “Funk w/Soul” at Levitt Shell.
- Cheers to the creative forces behind Memphis at the Memphis Current Fall Release Party at Wiseacre.
- Have fun learning from the craftsmen and craftswomen at day 2 of Harvest Fest at Memphis Zoo.
- Catch a performance of A Few Good Men at Theatre Memphis or Quark Theatre’s Wakey, Wakey.or On Golden Pond at Playhouse on the Square.