With all the great things going on in the 901 these days, have you ever been overwhelmed with choices? Well, you’re in luck! Every week we curate The Weekender, a post filled with a handy schedule to help you hit some of our best bets for an amazing weekend.
You can follow this schedule to a T, or use it as a launching point to plan your own adventure! The Weekender is not meant to be exhaustive, but will include our suggestions to help you plan the weekend ahead. In the case of inclement weather, check with each event’s page for updates.
Friday, October 5th
- 10am- Buy something awesome at the Creative Works Market.
- Noon- Experience the first Outdoor Library at Health Sciences Park.
- 2pm- Pop into Saddle Creek Beer Garden for a brew or two.
- 3pm- Throw some axes civilly at the Civl Axe Throwing Grand Opening.
- 5pm- Celebrate the arrival of fall during the Fall Festival on Broad, catch ’em all at the Memphis Pokemon Regional Championships, enjoy a cocktail for a good cause, and see the collaborative, art efforts of Youngblood and Friends at FOUND Memphis.
- 5:30pm- See the last show of the IRIS Orchestra concert series.
- 6pm- Tour Wiseacre to benefit Operation Broken Silence, see the works of Jamin Carter at Overton Park Gallery, prepare a well-balanced meal at Church Health Nutrition Hub, and learn the art of folding origami at Memphis Botanic Garden.
- 7pm- Cruise for brews during the Beers and Gears Ride, honor Pink Floyd at Railgarten, get scared and lost in the Mid-South Corn Maze, talk art and democracy during the Dinner Project for Freedoms, boss up with you fellow female entrepreneurs at Bawse Night Out, hunt the undead at Memphis Zombie Hunt, cheer on the Grizzlies as they take on the Atlanta Hawks, and see the Squirrel Zippers at Levitt Shell.
- 8pm- Experience Indian culture at GPAC, see what happens when people remove their masks during Between Her and the Ground: A Staged Reading, watch Little Women at Circuit Playhouse, and witness a battle of words and flow at Brinson’s Downtown.
- 9pm- Have a boot-scootin good time with Big Barton at the Cove, listen to the therapeutic, soulful sounds of Kina Del Mar at Westy’s, and see Avon Dale at The Bluff.
- 9:30pm- Track some ghosties at Woodruff Fontaine House.
- 10pm- Get in the holiday spirit at Lamplighter Lounge and hear beats by DJ Wolfy at Dru’s Place.
- 10:30pm- Start the Mempho Fest festivities off early at Railgarten.
Saturday, October 6th
- 7am- Go on a Ghost River Float Trip with Germantown Parks & Rec
- 9am- Bounce around The Great Inflatable Race, crawl and climb through a free workout at Recess Community Day, or enjoy a food tour + Black History with A Tour of Tasteabilities.
- 10am- Grab brunch on Main Street and pop into the Creative Works Market at the Halloran, go to the Agricenter and get a jump on your holiday shopping at Mistletoe Merchants on Memphis, or join SCS for Hola Fest.
- 11am- Don’t be late for a very important date at the Mad Hatter Tea Party at Woodruff-Fontaine Mansion, or head to Mempho Music Festival for the day and see Janelle Monae, Beck, Juicy J & Project Pat, and lots more.
- Noon – Join in A Day of Merrymaking at Overton Park, or sweat it out then reward yourself at HIITS & HOPS at Wiseacre.
- 1:30pm- Tailgate w/ Choose901 at Tiger Lane.
- 2pm- Enjoy MCA’s Free Family Art Workshop | Day of the Dead Papel Picado
- 3pm- See Faith Evans Ruch, Josh Waddell and Marcella Simien at Americana at Memphis Made | benefit for Music Export MEM, or check out Crosstoberfest at Crosstown Brewing Co.
- 4pm- Get a powerful history lesson and dig on that Stax sound at Give a Damn! Music + Activism at Stax Records then stick around for cocktails at the Crosstown Arts Bar
- 5pm- Go marvel at the Monster Market Grand Opening! (leave the kiddos at home)
- 6pm – Support Spay Memphis at the 12th Annual SPAYtacular Gala, or get a lesson n Lindy Hop at Le Temulte Noir at 1st Saturday Swing.
- 7:00 – Beware what’s lurking around the corner at Mid-South Haunted Maze, watch Diana Ross as Billie Holiday at “Lady Sings the Blues” in Melvin’s Backyard, see Coco at Levitt Shell, or order your pizza and wait for The Black Nerd Power Comedy Hour to begin at Midtown Crossing Grill.
- 8pm- Witness aristocratic crunk rap with Lord T & Eloise at Railgarten
Sunday, October 7th
- 10am- Listen to Alexis Taylor while you brunch at Sunrise Memphis.
- 11am- Spend the day at Mempho Music Fest
- 12pm- Eat chicken & waffles at Ghost River and hear Susan Marshall at Railgarten.
- 1pm- Experience Harry Potter with a live orchestra at the Orpheum.
- 3pm- Do some Tai Chi at the Garden and brunch with your fellow Jewish young adults at Loflin Yard.
- 4pm- Sip the summer away with Bar Boujee on Wheels, watch some ghosts get busted at the Pink Palace Museum, experience the Windy City w/ Bluff City vibes at In L O V E Memphis, puff on a cuban and enjoy live music at Mud Island Mixer VII, or watch Drag vs Burlesque at Dru’s.
- 5pm- Play Bingo w/ your fur-babies at Loflin Yard, listen to Eric Hughes at Ghost River, and more live tunes at Club 152.
- 6pm- See Kirk Whalum get “saxxy” at Halloran, watch Children of the Corn at Carolina Watershed, delight in a mutli-course farm-to-table meal at Bobby Lanier Farm Park, and jazz jam with you local frog squad at The Cove.
- 7pm- Celebrate breast cancer survivors during Survivor Night at Levitt Shell and hear Eric Johnson at New Daisy.
Need more ideas?
- See more of what’s happening this weekend in our September Events Guide.
- Find unique places to watch movies
- Enjoy Memphis for free
- Explore our foodie bucket list
- Discover where to make friends in Memphis
- Plan ahead with affordable date ideas and ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day
- Try a food truck around town
- Go bowling with friends or family
- Find ways you can volunteer in Memphis