With all the great things going on in the 901 these days, have you ever been overwhelmed with choices? Well, you’re in luck! Every week we curate The Weekender, a post filled with a handy schedule to help you hit some of our best bets for an amazing weekend.
You can follow this schedule to a T, or use it as a launching point to plan your own adventure! The Weekender is not meant to be exhaustive, but will include our suggestions to help you plan the weekend ahead. In the case of inclement weather, check with each event’s page for updates.
Friday, October 12th
- Noon – Get your heart rate up with a Free Spin Class in Health Sciences Park, get some cool stuff at the Pink Palace Arts & Crafts Fair at Audubon Park, and have lunch outside without breaking a sweat because it’s glorious rn tbh
- 5:30pm – Shop the designers and tour the lab at Memphis Fashion Design Network’s Fall Open House, or check out new works from Memphis-based artists exploring current social issues at Reception | Here and Now: Printmaking and the Political Present
- 6:30pm – Enjoy doing the research at The Science of Wine at the Pink Palace Museum, learn the finer points of sushi making at Memphis Botanic Garden, or hit up the final Sunset Skate Night at Tom Lee Park.
- 7pm – Watch Bette Smith (influences of Otis Redding, Nina Simone, Amy Winehouse, and Tina Turner) deliver some soul at Levitt Shell, cheer on the Grizzlies vs. the Rockets, create and chill at Creativity Cafe: Open Studio Night, or see the Shades of Gay LGBT Comedy Show at Memphis Urban Laughs Comedy Festival.
- 8pm – Entertain your dark side with New Moon Theatre Co.’s The Lizzie Borden Rock Musical at TheatreWorks, or Dracula at Theatre Memphis, take on the Mid-South Haunted Maze, or see Big Sam’s Funky Nation w/Alvin Youngblood Hart at Railgarten
- 10pm – Get unbridled female comedy at the Unlady Like All Women Comedy Showcase
Saturday, October 13th
- 8am- Stock up on locally grown produce at the Cooper Young Community Farmers Market, the Agricenter, or Memphis Farmers Market
- 9am- Paddle the Hyde Lake for FREE thanks to REI, or TCB and safely get rid of those sensitive docs at Free Shred Day, or go play at Flocktoberfest
- 10am- Travel back to the Elizabethan times at the 4th Annual Renaissance Faire, sip and shop at a Fancy Little Pop Up Market, learn how to exercise your civic power at CitizenFest, paint your pumpkin at Muddy’s Bake Shop, get crafty at the Pink Palace Museum and the Agricenter Harvest Festival
- 10:30am- Get bendy and brew-sy in support of those with Chron’s at Crosstown Brewery, have fun with science at Mr. Bond’s Science Guys Glow-in-the-Dark Program
- 11am- Sip cider during Cider Fest at Celtic Crossing, or shop for spooky goodies at the Creepville Art & Market
- Noon- Indulge in Hattie B’s tenders and beer at Ghost River, find a new forever friend at Hollywood Feed, or experience Monster Market 2018
- 1pm- Learn some film stunts w/ Memphis Parkour & Recess, get you paws and claws take care of at Hattiloo
- 2pm- Test your trick shot at Pong & Beer Day, or create you own fabric patterns at Five in One Social
- 4pm- Bar crawl through town in 90’s attire, or board the 3rd Annual Dinner & Dance Masquerade Cruise
- 6-ish- See live wrastlin’ at Meddlesome Brewery, watch a spooky double feature at Shelby Farms, hit The New Daisy for Downtown Live: Starring Paul Taylor with Althea Renee & Jeanette Harris, or connect with BAE.
- 7pm- Discover new tunes at Impromptu Fest II, get a glimpse into the life of Stax artists during SoulCinema: Wattstax, rock with Walden at Levitt Shell, or try your hand at Spooktacular Drink-N-Draw
- 8pm- Experience the Lizzie Borden Rock Musical at TheatreWorks, or see Memphian Sami Bray crush it in School of Rock at the Orpheum
- 9pm – Catch the Memphis debut of POPE at Bar DKDC and stick around for Marcella & Her Lovers
- 10pm- Hear the Rusty Pieces at Blind Bear, the sounds of Africa at CANVAS of Memphis, or see the Black-Ish Comedy Showcase at Memphis Urban Laughs Comedy Festival
- 10:30pm- Feel the bass drop during Daisyland presents Habstrakt
Sunday, October 14th
- 10am – Wander the 4th Annual Mid-South Renaissance Faire 2018 for the day, or check in on Flocktoberfest at Bass Pro
- Noon – Take a Ladies Only 5K Obstacle Mud Run with Orangetheory Fitness, or explore at Memphis Israel Festival
- 1pm – See one of the last performances of School of Rock at the Orpheum (there’s a 6:30 performance, too), or join Your Inner Yogi for Community Yoga
- 3pm – Get art + music + a reception at IRIS at the Brooks: Midori, practice in beautiful surroundings at Tai Chi at the Garden, or see Teardrop City w/ Limes at River Series at the Harbor Town Amphitheater
- 5pm- Get out with your good doggo at Bring Your Dog to Bingo Day at Loflin, keep it Totali 90’s at Dru’s Place, or have shrimp and grits with a side of Memphis Ukulele Band at Lafayette’s
- 7pm – Join Young Arts Patrons x Latino Memphis at Levitt Shell for Las Cafeteras
Need more ideas?
- See more of what’s happening this weekend in our October Events Guide and Halloween Events Guide.
- Find unique places to watch movies
- Enjoy Memphis for free
- Explore our foodie bucket list
- Discover where to make friends in Memphis
- Plan ahead with affordable date ideas and ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day
- Try a food truck around town
- Go bowling with friends or family
- Find ways you can volunteer in Memphis