With all the great things going on in the 901 these days, have you ever been overwhelmed with choices? Well, you’re in luck! Every week we curate The Weekender, a post filled with a handy list to help you hit some of our best bets for an amazing weekend.
The Weekender is not meant to be exhaustive but will include our suggestions to help you plan the weekend ahead. In the case of inclement weather, check with each event’s page for updates. See all upcoming events here.
Friday, November 15
- What happens when you combine the classical Nutcracker ballet with a bit of the Memphis streets? New Ballet Ensemble’s Nut Remix, that’s what.
- You have three more days to get in on the good eats of Downtown Dining Week.
- See who comes the new Spillit Grand Master Storyteller of Memphis during Spillit Grand Slam: We’re Coming Home.
- Black Panther’s Jenel Stevens is making her way to town for the Memphis Comic and Fantasy Convention.
- Head to Shelby Forest to hop on a Fall Color Cruise during golden hour.
- Spend your evening at The Bluff with the Neon Mooners.
- The Opening Reception of “One Word” at the U of M will feature a variety of artistic talent.
- Elvis Costello & The Imposters are coming to Graceland to keep you entertained.
- Witness the wonders of The Magic Basement all weekend long at Mollie Fontaine Lounge.
- The award-winning Fisk University Jubilee Singers are sharing their talents with Memphis this weekend.
- The B&G Holiday Improv Show will highlight those awkward family gatherings that we all know too much.
- The Orpheum Soiree is going to be pretty sweet, literally.
- Let your love for R&B music shine bright during R&B Only at Minglewood Hall.
- If you like Fabio Frizzi’s work, you should make your way to Black Lodge.
- Folk All Y’all is bringing Violet Bell to the Green Room at Crosstown Concourse.
- Snake your way to the McCoy Theatre for a punk rock adaptation of Medusa titled HISSIFIT.
- Enjoy a flight while getting crafty at Board and Brush During Friday Night Flights with Wiseacre Brewing Company.
Saturday, November 16
- Tackle some of your holiday shopping at the Flourish Studio Grand Opening Pop Up.
- Aaron James and Estes are taking the stage for show number 2 at the Kio House.
- You might have the jitters after the Memphis Caffeine Crawl.
- Learn a bit of Memphis history with the Birth of the Bluff City at the Memphis Public Libraries.
- 20+ local vendors are ready to see you their goods during the Memphis Modern Market at Loflin Yard.
- Our Era will showcase a variety of talents by underrepresented artists, particularly black and brown women, and nonbinary people.
- It’s all for one and one for all during Laser Tag at Overton Park.
- Cut loose with the whole fam during Can’t Stop the Feeling Family Day at the Dixon.
- Keep your eyes and ears open during the Memphis Murder Mystery Show.
- Spend the third Saturday of the month with the Bluff City Backsliders at the Cove.
- The Christmas Open House at Painted Tree Marketplace will get you in the holiday spirit.
- Help make a change in your community while getting some holiday shopping done at the Peace and Justice Art Festival at Wiseacre.
- Don Lifted is coming home and he’s headed to the Green Room to perform alongside the Blueshift Ensemble.
- Bring home a new plant baby from the Terrarium Make & Take Workshop.
- Get yourself some super cute treats from the Hello Kitty Cafe Truck.
- Raymond Santana of the Central Park 5 will dive in to discuss the themes of When They See Us during a panel discussion following a screening of the show.
- Avon Dale and Three Star Revival are playing the big room at the Hi Tone.
- Come to the Jingle Bell Run decked out in festive fashions.
- All pups and their people should come to Dog Day Afternoon.
- Grab an Unbelievable Burger and catch a flick with Speed Vegan.
- Don’t miss Santa’s arrival at Bass Pro Shops.
- Make like turkeys and flock to Muddy’s for Thanksgiving Cookie Decorating Fun.
- Stock up on bargain LP’s, CD’s, and more during The Purgening: Fall Day Party & Sale.
- From Where I Stand: Stories of Home will explore youth stories of home from all over the world.
- Commissioned has reunited and they are making a stop at Graceland.
- Party hard with young professionals at the 40 Under 40 After Party.
- Explore Overton Park with Revolutions Bicycle Co-Op.
- Stock up on designer chocolates because Phillip Ashley is officially open on Saturdays.
- Elmwood Cemetery is debuting a new tour that explores the lives of those who were one buried in the Winchester Cemetery.
- You’ll run past notable Memphis landmarks during the Happy in Memphis 5k.
- Head to Black Lodge for the largest pizza party ever!
Sunday, November 17
- Have some local brews and revel in roller derby at its highest level at the Watch Party: WFTDA Championship.
- Edouardo Jordan, winner of the James Beard Award, is the guest chef for a four-course meal at the Gray Canary.
- Santa is coming to take puppy pics at Hollywood Feed.
- The MYSP String Orchestra and Youth Symphony Fall Concert is pay what you can.
- Support the Community Table Garden’s efforts to fund the garden for another season of growing organic produce for those in need at the Community Table Fall Garden Party.
- Learn how to get published with an Intro to Self Publishing.
- Have a beer and find a pup at the 2nd Annual Pooch-A-Palooza.
- Make sure to bundle up before you head out on the Midtown Memphis Brewery Bike Tour.
- It’s Bring Your Dog to Bingo Day at Loflin Yard.
- Catch Ruthless the Musical at Theatre Memphis before it’s too late.
- Mothers and daughters are invited to a special night of painting at Qbhome Paint & Sip Studio.
- The Memphis Grizzlies are taking on the Denver Nuggets at the FedEx Forum.
- Go on an interactive tour of Neverland during Family Day at Playhouse on the Square.
- To celebrate St. Jude fundraisers and fitness enthusiasts, Juice Plus+ invites you to a day of free classes at Shred415 Studio.
Looking for more ideas? Check out our 2019 Guide to Holiday Events.