Cover photo: Jeff Riddle
With all the great things going on in the 901 these days, have you ever been overwhelmed with choices? Well, you’re in luck! Every week we curate The Weekender, a post filled with a handy list to help you hit some of our best bets for an amazing weekend.
The Weekender is not meant to be exhaustive but will include our suggestions to help you plan the weekend ahead. In the case of inclement weather, check with each event’s page for updates. See all upcoming events here.
Friday, May 31
- Have lunch out at Food Truck Friday at Health Sciences Park or Food Truck Friday at The Dixon.
- Get crafty with the family at Firefly Glow Party at the Garden.
- The undead take over Beale Street for Memphis Zombie Walk 2019!
- There’s plenty to see at South Main Trolley Night like Stock & Belle with Renda Writer, Primas Bakery & Boutique, the Withers Collection at Leadership Memphis, the new Puck Food Hall, and Ditty TV’s Vibe & Dime Grand Opening.
- GONER25 Weekend kicks of tonight at B-Side.
- Load up on carbs, entertainment, and clever team names at Memphis Italian Festival – 30th Anniversary.
- If you biked or walked to work instead of driving even once this month, pat yourself on the back at the Commute Challenge Wrap Party at High Cotton.
- Sonosphere presents Sound Observations: Nadah El Shazly at The Green Room.
- Reset and reevaluate at New Moon Ritual + Astrology with Delta Groove Yoga.
- Take a scenic trot for Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Memphis at the Harbortown 3 Mile.
- Pull up a lawn chair for the gritty delta blues and juke rhythms of Revel in Dimes at Levitt Shell.
- Musically Defined is a night of R&B, soul, art and spoken word.
- Bingo + your fave Disney tunes = Disney Singo.
- Lucky 7 Brass Band is saying goodbye to some of their signature tunes at The Cove.
- Party in a vineyard to support Fayette Cares at Forks & Corks.
- See fashions by black designers in the Mid-South at MBFW 901: The Shows.
- Cheer on the brave souls at Open Mic Night at Midtown Crossing Grill.
- Rec Room has karaoke every Friday Until The End of Time!
Saturday, June 1
- Rise early and Cycle the Greenway for Wolf River Conservancy.
- Find sun salutations and summer squash with Downtown Yoga at the Memphis Farmers Market.
- Decide if you swimmin’ or nah at Thunder in the Forest.
- Shop local and fresh at CYCFM – Weekly Market.
- Celebrate 20 years of Makeda’s by trying new menu items for free.
- Go to the Redbirds game and help Advance Memphis continue their work in South Memphis.
- Take some littles to Hattiloo’s Free Outdoor Show for Families, or Small But Mighty Storytime at the National Civil Rights Museum.
- The essentials are too damn expensive, so help out Sister Supply at the Product Drive and Period Pack party.
- Have the best time underachieving at the Meddlesome Meandering 0.5K.
- Shake it up with the hepcats at Rumba Room’s June Swing Dance.
- Experimental electronic music meets science fiction words at Sci-Fi Sounds.
- The party’s still going strong at Marquette Park for Memphis Italian Festival – 30th Anniversary.
- Explore the macabre and dark history of downtown with a Memphis Ghost Walk.
- Bask in the sun with free folk-rock by River Whyless at Levitt Shell.
- Muscled comedy bros The Hodgetwins are bringing their tour to the Halloran Centre.
- If you’re looking for some summertime sizzle, it begins with Iris LeFleur at Dru’s. Catch the shuttle to Minglewood for additional sizzle at the Big Gay Dance Party Vol. 7.
- Too Short, Juvenile, Scarface & Trina are on the bill for Return of the Legends Hip Hop Fest at Landers Center.
- Remember The 126.96.36.199’s from Kill Bill? They’re playing the Hi Tone.
- Let the sensational showgirls of Velvetina’s Blue Moon Revue entertain you at Mollie Fontaine Lounge.
- The Afro-Caribbean Dance Party is doing it for the culture tonight.
- Get some oonts oonts oonts at Canvas.
Sunday, June 2
- Challenge your balance on the Gulf of Mexico at SUP Yoga & Mimosas.
- Or drop in for a waterless workout at YIY Community Yoga.
- Experience the next generation of American Metal Artists at the Metal Museum’s Reception & Gallery Talk for 40 Under 40.
- Walk and talk with the artists of The CLTV’s Safe-Keeping.
- Have some lowkey fun at Loflin Yard with Sunday Funday Cerrito Bingo.
- Catch the GONER25 Weekend finale, The Let’s Go’s + Big Clown at Bar DKDC.
- Get your eggs sunny side up and your entertainment upside down at Garten of Dreams: Cirque-Style Brunch.
- Find very cool locally made things and maybe a new fur-ever friend at Wiseacre’s Barkers Brunch Artist Market.
- Toss back some cocktails for Humane Society kitties and doggos at Yappy Hour at Ecco.
- Social Sundays at River Garden is a crafting party on the city’s front porch.
- Hop over to Arkansas for fresh eats at the Delta Sol Farm Dinner.
- Kirk, Kortland, and Kameron Whalum are joining forces for this month’s Kafé Kirk at Crosstown Theater.
- Soul artist Talibah Safiya is the perfect wind down to your weekend.