With all the great things going on in the 901 these days, have you ever been overwhelmed with choices? Well, you’re in luck! Every week we curate The Weekender, a post filled with a handy list to help you hit some of our best bets for an amazing weekend.
The Weekender is not meant to be exhaustive but will include our suggestions to help you plan the weekend ahead. In the case of inclement weather, check with each event’s page for updates. See all upcoming events here.
Friday, May 17
- Saddle up the ole two-wheeler for Bike to Work Day.
- Do it for the wine at the Vive le Vin: North Berkeley Luncheon at Catherine & Mary’s.
- Forgot your lunch at home? No biggie! Head to Food Truck Friday in the Memphis Medical District.
- Central BBQ and Rice Burner are ready to serve you tasty treats during Food Truck Friday – Dixon Gallery and Gardens.
- Reward yourself for biking to work with a frothy beverage at the Bike From Work Happy Hour.
- We see Southwestern/Southern-Gothic tunes in your future during Grace Askew at The Green Room feat. Marcella Simien.
- A Weirdo From Memphis invites you to “spaz the f out” at Decibel: A Very Red Show Featuring AWFM.
- Praise her name during the Gospel Drag Show at Dru’s Place.
- Group Therapy: A Comedy Shie could be good for the soul.
- Help break the world record for Flip Cup at BBQ Fest.
- Listen to Jack Oblivian’s new music at the Lost Weekend Record Release Party.
- Wet, Dry Rub, Savory, Sweet; Pick your poison at the Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest.
- Kick it with Blackwater Trio at Blind Bear.
- The Memphis Zoo invites you to learn what you can do to save Endangered Species.
- Cordelia’s Market is showing the Goonies for Spring Movie Night.
- Chefs Andy Ticer and Michael Hudman are preparing a decedent spread for the Grand Artisans’ Dinner at the Brooks.
- Make your way to the Agricenter to peruse for vintage finds during “Southern Living.”
- It only makes sense that pirate themed band, Barnacles, would be playing at a pirate themed bar, The Cove.
- Sounds of reggae, afrobeat, house, and soca will fill the air at the Island Breeze Dance Party at Canvas.
- Miss MOD Memphis and the Divas of Divinity will reunite for their final bow at The Divas’ Last Stand.
Saturday, May 18
- Hit the ground running (literally)for Habitat for Humanity at the Bluff City 10K.
- Ruby Bridges is coming to NCRM to show everybody that reading is fun at the Ruby Bridges Reading Festival.
- Embrace our new status as a soccer city during the Memphis 901FC vs. Pittsburgh Riverhounds game.
- You could walk away with a new furry baby after the MAS Game of Homes adoption event.
- Celebrate the vast amount of talented local black artists and organizations during Hattiloo Black Arts Fest.
- Set out on the Mississippi Riverfront Harbor for Free Kayaking Lessons.
- It’s bound to be a sweetness overload at the Unicorn Berries and Cupcake Class.
- Here’s to another day of meat, meat, and more meat during Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest.
- Kick it with your favorite Hallmark Channel stars during Hallmark Channel’s June Weddings Fan Celebration Weekend.
- Fashion your very own family crest during Stitched: Family Crest Workshop.
- Catch the final Masterworks concert of the Memphis Symphony season.
- The 4th Annual Cooper-Young Garden Walk will get your green thumb excited.
- Try your hands at a new craft during FIRE Family Fun Day at the Metal Museum.
- Enjoy a little family friendly competition at the Chick-fil-A Family Picnic & Field Day.
- Memphis has seen some stuff and you can hear those stories told during 200 Has a Lot to Say: Memphis Stories.
- Break a sweat with Memphis Urban League Young Professionals at YP FIT in the Park.
- Partake in a night of witty burns during the You Look Like A Comedy Show.
- We’re not sure what Trap Jazz sounds like but you can find out at the Trap Jazz at Playhouse: Late Set.
- Issa celebration of beer and independent film during Suds & Cinema at Wiseacre.
- Bobby Rush is bringing the blues to BBQ Fest.
- Jungles will be explored, pirates will kidnap, and toys will come to life during Time Warp Drive-In: Dreams & Magic Forever–1990’s Fantasy Films.
- Support some badass grrls during GRRL Fest 3.
Sunday, May 19
- The River Series at Harbor Town Amphitheater continues with Obruni Dance Band and Yazan.
- Stretch out those knots at Free Yoga for Runners.
- Engage in Goat Yoga in Health Sciences Park to benefit Memphis Animal Services.
- See vintage photos and hear tales of Memphis past at The 200 Talk: Elmwood & the Memphis Bicentennial.
- The industry cred is bonkers at The TN Queens Tour ’19: Lolo & Garrison Starr at Railgarten.
- Food truckin’ ain’t easy so get some assistance at MMDC’s Summer Workshop Series: Intro to Food Trucks.
- Vibe with soulful sounds and bars like bullets at Artistik Lounge feat. Moe Javi and Kashief.
- The jazz is pretty “saxy” at Michael Shults Quartet at The Green Room.
- Connet, vibe, and lounge at the Artistik Lounge Ft. Moe Javi & Kashief.
- All mad people are welcome to the Mad Hatter Tea Party at Primas Bakery.