With all the great things going on in the 901 these days, have you ever been overwhelmed with choices? Well, you’re in luck! Every week we curate The Weekender, a post filled with a handy list to help you hit some of our best bets for an amazing weekend.
The Weekender is not meant to be exhaustive but will include our suggestions to help you plan the weekend ahead. In the case of inclement weather, check with each event’s page for updates. See all upcoming events here.
Friday, May 10
- Dance and eat all the delicious things at Memphis Greek Festival.
- Mingle with the artists of Salvage: Reclaiming Memphis’ Black Aesthetic at the National Civil Rights Museum.
- Geek out over antiques at the Memphis Mercantile Market Preview Party.
- Put on your favorite scrunchie and squeal at the New Kids on the Block MixTape Tour at FedExForum.
- Pick up something fresh during the Grand Opening of the Whitehaven Kulliye Farmers Market.
- Travel back to the magical world of ancient China during Shen Yun 2019.
- Bring a virgin to Rocky Horror Picture Show at Evergreen Theatre.
- Get a look into the lives of Poretta’s Soul Music Festival legends during the documentary screening at Stax.
- Ballet Memphis is doing a show of all highlights at Rewind: Season Finale.
- Mollie Fontaine’s has some exceptionally good burlesque with Velvetina’s Blue Moon Revue!
- Kick off the Summer Pop Up Series at 409 S. Main.
- Rejuvenate your mind and body while surrounded by artwork during Yoga in the Sculpture Garden.
- Show your support for the students of Visible Community Music School during Visible in May.
- Get classic singer-songwriter Americana with Will Kimbrough w/Jeremy Stanfill at The Green Room.
- Pick up that new Edible Memphis during the Pick-Up Party at Edge Alley.
- Clever Eddie Izzard brings his Wunderbar tour to The Orpheum.
- Kick it with the Lucky 7 Brass Band at Midtown in May Railgarten Hoe-down.
- Get the crowd going at Rec Room Karaoke.
- Get litty with mommy at Mother’s Day Celebration at Wild Bill’s.
Saturday, May 11
- Teachers should celebrate their excellence with free drinks and food during The Ultimate Recess.
- Get up early and score some goodies Memphis Farmers Market and Cooper-Young Community Farmers Market.
- Peruse a large selection of bold African prints and outfits at the Africans Fashion Pop Up Shop.
- Bring your young filmmakers to the Free Youth Filmmaking Workshop: Sound Recording.
- Put your green thumb to the test at the Urban Earth Garden Center.
- Oak Court has Free Vinyasa Yoga with Kandace.
- Sample 50+ beers at Memphis Brewfest 2019.
- There’s always room for more baklava at day 2 of Memphis Greek Festival.
- If you’re new to the water, learn a thing or two with Free Kayaking Lessons.
- Celebrate your mom at ArtUp’s Sip & Paint Brunch with Darlene Newman.
- Learn how to upstyle your furniture and bring a room together at Art by Design.
- Hear Joy Ike speak from her soul through music at Folk All Y’all: An Evening with Joy Ike.
- You might find yourself adopting a pet during the 2nd Annual Tails and Ales at the Casual Pint.
- Question the Answer’s got gifts for your momma.
- It’s okay to get in your feels at The Emotions Project.
- Get crafty at Celebrate Mom – Muffins & Mimosas at Board & Brush.
- Savory and sweet treats await you at Primas Bakery and Boutique’s Brunch at the Bakery!
- Trucks will act as jungle gyms for your kids at the 2019 Touch-A-Truck.
- Baby Day at the Memphis Zoo is going to be precious af.
- Pick up something cute and handmade at Last Minute Mother’s Day Pop Up.
- Have some zany WHODUNIT fun at Annesdale Mansion with CLUE: The Party.
- Enjoy craft beer and wisecracks at Drafts and Laughs.
- Some of Memphis’ best comics are showing up for Mid-South Peace & Justice Center’s The Roast of the City of Memphis.
- Ring in Mother’s Day with some house music at House in the MidSouth‘s dance party.
- NOTS is playing a special, free show to celebrate the release of their new album at Goner Records.
- Sip from their deep list of libations and catch Robby Grant w/DJ Recess at Bar DKDC.
Sunday, May 12 – Mother’s Day
- If you’re still trying to figure out where to take mom today, look at these Mother’s Day events and brunches
- It’s your last chance to witness the trés chic exhibits at Art by Design.
- Life’s a Cabaret at Playhouse on the Square.
- Conquer your fear of public speaking at Spillit Storytelling Workshop with Josh Campbell.
- Watch the sun go down to some premium sounds at Sunset Jazz at Court Square featuring Joe Restivo.
- DJ Paul is doing his thing with Killjoy Club Surprize and Insane Clown Posse at Growlers.
- Layers of Pink is bringing her colors of pop destruction to the Hi Tone.
- Art Unplugged will blend hip hop, spoken word, R&B, and more.
- Give yourself the gift of relaxation and restoration during Let Your Stress Melt Away at Art.Body.Soul.