With all the great things going on in the 901 these days, have you ever been overwhelmed with choices? Well, you’re in luck! Every week we curate The Weekender, a post filled with a handy list to help you hit some of our best bets for an amazing weekend.
The Weekender is not meant to be exhaustive but will include our suggestions to help you plan the weekend ahead. In the case of inclement weather, check with each event’s page for updates. See all upcoming events here.
Friday, June 7
- Have breakfast at The Waffle Iron or lunch at Park + Cherry during Black Friday Shop Black – Park Ave. Edition.
- Songwriter extraordinaire Malcolm Holcomb is playing the Green Room with Nancy Apple.
- The vocals will be gritty at The Commonheart at Levitt Shell.
- Have some basement fun at the Brass Door with Improv Underground.
- Black Cream and Emily Chambers have some funk & soul for you at Railgarten.
- Get a hold of some cute vintage finds at the Mint Cream: Perfect Summer pop-up Two Rivers Bookstore.
- The showing of ’69 at Crosstown Theater will give you a look back into how people used to experience music at the Levitt Shell.
- Recreate your favorite moves from Beyonce’s Homecoming at the 7th Annual HBCU Reunion Weekend band extravaganza.
- Show up for food trucks, live music, and local makers at the Camp Create Artist Market.
- Your emotional sensitivity is your strength a City & State’s Artist Series | The Crybaby Club.
- Sip and sing along at Beer + Hymns at Midtown Crossing.
- The Bicentennial festivities continue at Unfolding: The Next Chapter in Memphis Exhibit Opening.
- Encourage a wayward son to carry on at Live at the Garden: KANSAS.
- Hi Tone presents a night of underground trap and bass with Gutta Kick / DJ Dy3 / Gold Perms.
- Share emotions, a “spectakle” and “A Little Pleasure” during the first night of The Memphis FRINGE Festival.
- There are 50 artists repping 1 district at Art of the South 2019 Opening Reception.
- “Purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka” with Mid-South Peace and Justice Center.
- The singing and dancing will snatch your bouffant at Hairspray the Musical at Theatre Memphis.
- Appreciate the werk at the Open Stage Drag Show at Dru’s.
- Pick a crowd-pleaser at karaoke at Atomic Tiki, Rec Room, or Perignons.
Saturday, June 8
- Hit up the farmer’s markets in Cooper-Young, Downtown, and at the Agricenter.
- Master a new kitchen flex at Gardening and Cooking with Herbs.
- Bring your masterpiece to the Memphis Quilts show-and-tell at Crosstown Arts.
- Check out the silent disco at Night at the Lorraine.
- Get an epic adventure with the Broadway tour of Anastasia at The Orpheum.
- Your donut flight comes with complimentary brunch bevs at Primas Bakery and Boutique.
- Celebrate all things bubbly at Tour De’ Toast Memphis- Champagne Tasting at the Pink Palace.
- Spend some time with folks who can spin a yarn at Spillit Slam: Around the Fringes.
- Freddie McGregor is bringing his infamous reggae sounds to the Levitt Shell.
- Velvetina’s Blue Moon Revue at Mollie Fontaine Lounge is only around for a little longer.
- Show your pride at Memphis 901 FC Pride Night Game Supporting The Metamorphosis Project.
- Learn about candidates running for local offices at the Memphis People’s Convention 2019.
- Ease on down to the Halloran Center for a joyous presentation of “The Wiz” by Ballet on Wheels.
- Royal Studios Takeover of Railgarten boasts a whole lot of talent wrapped up into one night.
- Drafts and Laughs at Memphis Made will give you a good chuckle.
- The Memphis FRINGE Festival kicks off, giving us a line-up of 50 theatrical experiences.
- Get Down with DJ Mike McConnell as he spins at Mollie Fontaine Lounge.
- Brenda Newport is going to show you what she’s got as she hosts the Summer Spotlight Series at Dru’s Place.
- Dance a little, drink a little, and be gay A LOT during Pride at the Pump! Featuring Music by Record Player.
Sunday, June 9
- Put your balance to the test during SUP Yoga downtown.
- Ease on down the road as Ballet on Wheels Presents “The Wiz”.
- Crack bodies and suck heads at the Ragin Cajun Shrimp & Crawfish Boil at Tin Roof.
- Launch Process is turning one and they are celebrating at the 1 Year Open Party.
- This is your last chance to see Anastasia at The Orpheum.
- The Memphis FRINGE Festival continues with nine theatrical performances and even more to come.
- Determine if yoga is your thing during YIY Community Yoga – All Levels.
- If we want more local art and murals, we gotta support the artists— and Pints for Paint does that.
- BoDeans at Levitt Shell is providing us with some good ol’ rock n’ roll.
- Piece together what happened last night over pancakes during the Hi Tone Hangover Pancake Brunch.
- Celebrate Sunday Funday with some Cerrito Bingo.
- We’re not sure how to make bingo sound “live” but Trap Bingo at Height Lounge does.
- The Legend of Georgia McBride at the Circuit Playhouse tells the story of an Elvis impersonator turned drag queen.
- Don your best straw hat and seersucker for the URBN Tea Party: Chocolate & Cocktail Tasting.
- Watch as Tracy Turnblad chases her dreams during Hairspray the Musical.