Featured photo: Amanda Hill, Mural: Birdcap
With all the great things going on in the 901 these days, have you ever been overwhelmed with choices? Well, you’re in luck! Every week we curate The Weekender, a post filled with a handy list to help you hit some of our best bets for an amazing weekend.
The Weekender is not meant to be exhaustive but will include our suggestions to help you plan the weekend ahead. In the case of inclement weather, check with each event’s page for updates. See all upcoming events here.
Friday, Jan. 4
- Stock up on locally crafted goods at the Open Studio with Mint Cream Shop.
- Play with food at The Art of Dinner Interactive Cooking Class: Vietnam & Thailand
- Drank and sang during January Beer + Hymns at Midtown Crossing Grill.
- Show your respect for John Lee Hooker at Hall After Dark Honors John Lee Hooker, ft. Memphisissipi Sounds.
- The Faux Killas are making their way to Bar DKDC.
- Get all cozied up with hot cocoa at Firepit Fridays.
- Celebrate Brando’s Birthday @ Hi Tone (free show).
- Keep ringing in the new year during The Ultimate Friday Night Mixer at Privé.
- Discover new, fabulous talent at the Open Stage Spotlight Show at Dru’s.
- Watch the Magic Mike Men get down during Girls Night Out the Show at The Stage Stop
- Vibe to old school and new school w/ DJ Mad EFX at Canvas.
- Eric Hughes is set to please the crowd at Railgarten.
- Watch the Grizzlies take on the Brooklyn Nets.
- Get down with DudeCalledRob and the gang at the Bluff.
- January babies are partying together at the January Birthday Social.
- It’s movie madness all weekend on the big screen at the Pink Palace Museum.
Saturday, Jan. 5
- Wish the king a hunka hunka happy birthday during Elvis’ Birthday Celebration.
- Brulululemon is here to help you kick off those 2019 fitness resolutions.
- Shake it for fitness at MixedFit with Chardae.
- Make portrait collages at MCA’s Free Family Art Workshop.
- Allow local comics to test their new material on you during 30 First Jokes.
- Visualize what you want 2019 to be and then make it visual at the Memphis Public Library.
- Delight in a plant-based brunch at the first Vegan Brunch of the new year.
- Grammy-nominated artist Mr. Del is celebrating his 10th Album at Hattiloo Theatre.
- Go early for a beginner’s lesson then Swing Dance to the sultry jazz of Le Tumulte Noir.
- Some comics kicked off the New Year with a challenge to write 30 new jokes. Hear ’em, rate ’em, and choose a winner.
- Blackwater Trio is supplying the tunes at Carolina Watershed.
- Vibe to a mix of Reggaeton, Dancehall, Baile Funk and more at the Afro-Caribbean Dance Party.
Sunday, Jan. 6
- Slow down before the week begins during the Sunday Evening Slowdown at Ghost River Brewing Company.
- See who’s got balls of fury during the Weekly Ping Pong Tournament at Railgarten.
- Tikyra is showing off her bevy of talents during Tikyra Live in Memphis.
- Learn how to beat that face at Beat. Watch. Repeat.
- See what’s shakin’ at the new Society Memphis Skatepark & Coffee.
- Cruise for brews with Crosstown Brewing Company during Tap and Go.
- Learn more about SCS’ schools at the SCS Optional Schools Fair.
- Plan out your big day at the Wedding University Bridal Showcase.