With all the great things going on in the 901 these days, have you ever been overwhelmed with choices? Well, you’re in luck! Every week we curate The Weekender, a post filled with a handy list to help you hit some of our best bets for an amazing weekend.
The Weekender is not meant to be exhaustive but will include our suggestions to help you plan the weekend ahead. In the case of inclement weather, check with each event’s page for updates. See all upcoming events here.
Friday, February 8th
- Wine and dine in support of Make-A-Wish Mid-south at the 9th Annual Wine for Wishes.
- Celebrate the the many levels of impact made by the black community during Noir Adore: A Celebration of Influence.
- Pull up and appreciate the photographic talents of Lester Merriweather and Lawrence Matthews at the CMPLX.
- Show yourself some lady love during the Galentine’s Day Party with Question the Answer.
- The Heights Stories delivers an artistic representation of the powerful narratives coming out of the Heights neighborhood.
- Kick off spring fishing season at Bass Pro Shops at the Pyramid.
- Break out the bell bottoms for the Friday Night Fever: Dance Party at Stop 345.
- Stax Music Academy and the legendary Bar-Kays are getting funky at Staxtacular 2019.
- Midtown Crossing Grill is serving up a Three-Course Comedy meal.
- Philandanco, a dance company created to provide opportunities for dancers of color, is dancing their way through the Buckman Performing Arts Center.
- Bring a virgin to A Rocky Horror Picture Show with Absent Friends.
- Sip spirits with spirits during a Haunted Pub Crawl.
- Partake in an exploration of art and music at the Art Opening: Hearing Colors by David Yancy.
- See some of Dr. Ernest Wither’s legendary shots at the Withers Collections Black History Exhibit.
- You’re free to speak, dance, and sing during Black is History (Freedom Friday).
- Head to Hu. Hotel where Aaron James is showcasing some of his latest music.
Saturday, February 9th
- Bring someone who could use some sweet loving to Whiskey, Wine, and Chocolates at the Memphis Botanic Garden.
- Throw it back to the 90’s for Young at Art’s Excellent Adventure.
- Railgarten is pulling out all of the stops to show their love for Bob Marley.
- Celebrate the accomplishments and contributions of Afro-Latinos during Afro-Latino Night.
- It’s all about the love and power of some of the greatest names in Black History during Love is ____ at Stax.
- Bring your best (or worst) talents to the P&H Karaoke Competition.
- Leave your mans at home cause issa Galentine’s Day Party at 17Berkshire.
- I, Too, Am America is recognizing and commemorating the contributions that black people have made to American culture.
- Memphis Public Libraries is offering free Spanish classes.
- See what flowers and chocolates have to do with beer making during the Flowers and Chocolates Beer Tour and Pairing.
- The Comma Comedians are bringing you well-crafted beer and comedy.
- Pick up something for that special someone at the GRB Valentine’s Market.
- There’s burlesque, belly dance, ballet, opera, hooping, fire, and some Crown Vox at Sock It To Me Burlesque…Heartbreakers v. Knockouts!
- Chef Shawn Davis is seasoning everything with love during the Noir Love Dinner.
- Memphis Fashion Week is looking for models to strut their stuff.
- Boogie with Marcella & Her Lovers at Bar DKDC.
- Dancing with the Stars is dancing it’s way into the Orpheum Theatre.
- Taste truffles in the name of love during the Valentine Truffle Tasting at Primas Bakery and Boutique.
- Soccer fans unite at The Brass Door in celebration of Memphis 901 FC’s inaugural season.
Sunday, February 10th
- Take your bestie to the Annual Galentines Brunch at Ghost River.
- Make space for another point of view at Sweat by Lynn Nottage at Circuit Playhouse.
- Problem solve over bagels at Code Together | Memphis.
- Let it go and focus in at Community Yoga.
- Kick back with a “sophisticated, groovy, jazzy, spiritually uplifiting” musical experience at Kafé Kirk with Everette Harp
- See how artist Brandy Boyd does it at a Jewelry-Making Demo & Trunk Show at Metal Museum.
- Learn the background and benefits at Art Therapy Info Session at Brooks Museum.
- Enjoy the Brass Funk of Mighty Souls at B-Side Bar.
- Find something special at Handmade at Memphis Made’s Valentine’s Popup.
- Indulge in childhood snack nostalgia at Lulu’s Pop-Up Brunch: The Grown Folks Cafeteria.
- Show some love for Real Good Dog Rescue at The Cove’s Pop Up for Pups.
Need more ideas?
- See more of what’s happening this weekend in our Events Calendar.
- Find unique places to watch movies
- Enjoy Memphis for free
- Explore our foodie bucket list
- Discover where to make friends in Memphis
- Try a food truck around town
- Go bowling with friends or family
- Find ways you can volunteer in Memphis