Photo: Mike Kerr
With all the great things going on in the 901 these days, have you ever been overwhelmed with choices? Well, you’re in luck! Every week we curate The Weekender, a post filled with a handy schedule to help you hit some of our best bets for an amazing weekend.
You can follow this schedule to a T, or use it as a launching point to plan your own adventure! The Weekender is not meant to be exhaustive, but will include our suggestions to help you plan the weekend ahead. In the case of inclement weather, check with each event’s page for updates.
Friday, August 24th
- 4pm- Get to know your Memphis dog community over pizza at The Dog House, and toast to the opening of REI w/ a Happy Herd IPA at Ghost River Brewing.
- 5pm- Talk cars and brews at Young Avenue Sound.
- 6pm- Taste your way through Muddy’s Kitchen, listen to the musical stylings of Jeff Evans and Ross Johnson at Goner Records, discover some local talent at the Memphis is Me_Back to School Showcase, find love at 50 Shades of Cuffing Season, and preview David Quarles’ latest collection at Phillip Ashley Chocolates.
- 7pm- Snag your Championship Ring Replica at AutoZone Park, taste international whiskeys at VOM FASS, and see who gets got at the Memphis Murder Project.
- 8pm- Jump to the left and step to the right at Rocky Horror Picture Show, celebrate your natural at the 2018 Natural Cutie Weekend Takeover, get entertained by FreeWorld at Railgarten, and sing your heart out for cash prizes at Karaoke Idol.
- 9pm- Dance in silence during Silent Disco at Crosstown Brewery, hear She’Chinah blessing the mic at Memphis Slim House, and figure out who Jeffery is at Hi Tone.
- 9:30pm- Hunt some ghosts at the Woodruff Fontaine House.
- 10pm- Party along to swirling sounds of James and the Ultrasounds at Bar DKDC and pay tribute to Elton John at Lafayette’s.
Saturday, August 25th
- 8am – Run the Forrest Spence 5K
- 9am – Whip up a treat with your offspring at Family Baking Class at Church Health, or head to Puppypalooza to spend some quality time with your doggo, or check out some of the REI Memphis Grand Opening festivities.
- Noon – See what’s new at the Caritas Village Grand Reopening, or be there as Sweat Fest 4 heats up at Shangri-La.
- 2pm – Go on the Wakanda Weekend Scavenger Hunt at Pink Palace Museum, or get the story behind a collaboration by women of different nationalities, ethnicities, political views, and economic backgrounds at Roquita Coleman-Williams: Storealities at Novel.
- 5-ish – Watch the Tragic City Rollers vs. Memphis Roller Derby, drop in on Paul Taylor w/Eric Lewis at Crosstown Brewing Company, or join the Back to School Party at Trolley Stop.
- 6-ish – If you like Fall Out Boy go to You Were the Last Good Thing About This Part of Town, or honor a great American jazz trumpeter at The Music of Freddie Hubbard.
- 7-ish – Go on a Sunset Nature Hike, hang out with Xaris Waltman at Java Cabana, or slip into an Adirondack chair for Jack Oblivian + John Wesley Colman III at Railgarten.
- 8pm – See Disney’s Newsies at Theatre Memphis or Junk at The Circuit Playhouse.
- 9pm – Laugh at Andy Sandford at Midtown Crossing Grill, Get Drunk & Sing Karaoke at Luchessi’s Beer Garden, or dance the rest of the night away at the Rumba Room 10 Year Anniversary.
Sunday, August 26th
- 8am – Rise and shine for Coffee + Yoga at City & State
- 1pm- Add to your creative skills at Hand Lettering with Jason Prater or sit down to a Bluegrass Brunch
- 2pm – Catch a Memphis Música Game with Latin Food Drinks & Entertainment, or join the fight against testicular cancer at Bowling for Balls VII
- 6:30pm Play some giant Jenga at Game Night at Loflin Yard
Need more ideas?
- See more of what’s happening this weekend in our August Events Guide.
- Find unique places to watch movies
- Enjoy Memphis for free
- Explore our foodie bucket list
- Discover where to make friends in Memphis
- Plan ahead with affordable date ideas and ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day
- Try a food truck around town
- Go bowling with friends or family
- Find ways you can volunteer in Memphis