With all the great things going on in the 901 these days, have you ever been overwhelmed with choices? Well, you’re in luck! Every week we curate The Weekender, a post filled with a handy schedule to help you hit some of our best bets for an amazing weekend.
You can follow this schedule to a T, or use it as a launching point to plan your own adventure! The Weekender is not meant to be exhaustive, but will include our suggestions to help you plan the weekend ahead. In the case of inclement weather, check with each event’s page for updates.
Friday, August 17th
- 4pm – Connect art and activism at the NCRM’s Drop the Mic Poetry Symposium.
- 5pm – Get a sweet treat at the Grand Opening of Primas Bakery and Boutique, see what’s buzzing at The Hive Collective: Open on Main, or watch the Children’s Museum of Memphis come to life during Night at the Museum.
- 6pm – Say hello to tobacco brown at Opening Reception: tabula rasa/erasure at Orange Mound Gallery, bid farewell to The Chaos and the Cosmos: Photography by Pat Rainer, or explore the life & work of composer John Cage at Continuum Music Festival at Crosstown Arts.
- 7pm – Accept that “All’s fair in Love & Basketball, baby” at The Orpheum, do some salsa dancing at CasaLuz-Dinner Fiesta Segundo Aniversario, or enjoy an interweaving of great musical catalogs at Elvis Meets The Beatles.
- 8pm – See some pros at Real Memphis Wrestling with UCPWS at Rec Room, or head to Memphis Music Mansion for Vandoliers Unplugged.
Saturday, August 18th
- 8am- Shop local at the Memphis Farmers Market, asearch for treasures at the Memphis Flea Market, or benefit a great cause at the 2018 Memphis Runs for Autism 5K
- 9am- Check out some sweet whips at Octane on the Square.
- 10am- Relieve some stress during Hot 26 Bikram Yoga at Railgarten.
- 11am- Get cultured at Germantown International Festival.
- 12pm- Help new moms feel supported at the Community Baby Shower.
- 12:15pm- Come together with local artists and musicians at Continuum Music Festival.
- 2pm- Cruise for local brews on the Memphis Brew Bus, watch Cinderella become the belle of the ball at the Orpheum.
- 4pm- Snap for your faves at the 5th Annual Drop the Mic Poetry Slam, check out some dope decks at the MadAir Decks skate deck art exhibition, and showcase your poetic, comedic, or musical talents at the Early Show Artist Showcase.
- 6pm- Mix and mingle with Ballet Memphis’ professional dancers at the Season Kickoff Mixer.
- 6:30pm- Celebrate the first birthday of SoFar Sounds Memphis.
- 7pm- Observe some cinema garbage at Time Warp Drive-In: Worst Movies Ever, and toast to Patrick Swayze’s 66th at Rec Room.
- 7:30pm- Connect with the ‘heart’ of Memphis during Memphis Matters.
- 8pm- Catch a Gentleman’s Guide to to Love and Murder on stage at Playhouse on the Square.
- 9pm- Get burned at the You Look Like: A Comedy Show, experience the ‘raw, vintage boogie’ that is Jason D. Williams, and shake your hips to the sounds of the Bluff City Backsliders at the Cove.
- 10pm- Sing a ballad or two during Tiki Karaoke.
Sunday, August 20th
- 8am – Hit the ground running for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital at Breakaway Bardog 5K & Monroe Avenue Festival.
- 2pm – Pedal with gal pals at Women’s Bike Chat Fourth Anniversary Ride, or shop and sip at 901drift’s 1st Birthday Popup at Meddlesome.
- 7pm – Connect, vibe, and lounge at this month’s Artistik Lounge ft. Kesha Cook and Jay DaSkreet.
- 9pm – Prepare to be astounded at Moth Moth Moth & Haus of Phantosea at Dru’s.
Need more ideas?
- Find unique places to watch movies
- Enjoy Memphis for free
- Explore our foodie bucket list
- Discover where to make friends in Memphis
- Plan ahead with affordable date ideas and ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day
- Try a food truck around town
- Go bowling with friends or family
- Find ways you can volunteer in Memphis