Photo: Adarryll Jackson
With all the great things going on in the 901 these days, have you ever been overwhelmed with choices? Well, you’re in luck! Every week we curate The Weekender, a post filled with a handy schedule to help you hit some of our best bets for an amazing weekend.
You can follow this schedule to a T, or use it as a launching point to plan your own adventure! The Weekender is not meant to be exhaustive, but will include our suggestions to help you plan the weekend ahead. In the case of inclement weather, check with each event’s page for updates.
Friday, August 31
- 4pm- Pre-game for 901 Day at Loflin Yard.
- 6pm- Celebrate 10 years of Star & Micey, Toast the 901 at Old Dominick w/ us, take a stroll down South Main St. for Trolley Night, sip some whiskey, wine, and Moonshine at the Memphis Delta Fair, decorate cookies at Muddy’s Grind House, and laugh as much as you’ll eat during Crépés and Comedy.
- 6:30pm- Catch a flick and kick off the first day of the WLOF Black Film Festival and check out the final day Somnium exhibit at the Art Village Gallery.
- 7pm- Salute three Legendary Icons of Soul during the Summer Soulset and watch three local artists make their stage debut at South Main Sounds Songwriter Night #95.
- 7:30pm- Get your roll on at Sunset Skate Night and laugh it up with with Comma Comedians at Crosstown Brewery.
- 8pm- Start your labor day weekend off with some jazz and r&b at Makeda’s Cookies, hear Baby Men at Bar DKDC and Marten Horger at Growlers, listen to some funny humans at the MISC Back to School Show, and decide who makes the “Best Sammich” during the The Great Cable Cooking Show Contest.
- 9pm- Dance the night away at the Zebra Lounge, and lend your ear to Joey Sprinkles at the Hi Tone.
- 10pm- Satisfy your appetite for experimental rock and psychedelic stew at Young Avenue Deli.
Saturday, September 1 HAPPY 901 DAY!!!
- 8am – Get “shredded” at the 901 Day Workout on the River.
- 9:30am – Crawl, climb, and play some throwback schoolyard games for free at Recess Community Class or begin a journey through the untold history of Memphis through food on A Tour of Tasteabilities.
- 2pm – Mix with game developers at MemphisVR Open House, browse the selection at Beale Street Cigar Festival, get fired up with the new USL supporters club at Bluff City Mafia #SoccerShowdown Prematch Party, or hop on the Memphis Brew Bus.
- 4pm – Enjoy all the games, live music, art vendors, beer and boozy pops on the plaza at 901 Day at Concourse.
- 6pm – Cheer on the home team at Memphis Tigers v. Mercer Bears.
- 7pm – Find out what we get to call our new USL soccer team and watch some pros at Soccer Showdown ft. Tim Howard at AutoZone Park, go with the flow with some improvised music at Tashi Dorji at Goner, donate tampons, pads, and liners for people who don’t have easy access at the La Fleau pt Deux party.
- 8pm – See a performance of Disney’s Newsies, A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder, or Junk.
- 11pm – Get that House Werrrk at Mollie Fontaine Lounge, shake it with DJs Bloody Elle & One A Day at Lamplighter, or Sean’s Birthday Throwdown with Mighty Souls + DKDC.
Sunday, September 2
- 8am- Get energized with coffee and yoga at City & State.
- 10am- Treat yourself to tacos at Maciel’s Highland.
- 11am- Have an asian inspired brunch experience at Silly Goose.
- 12pm- Get ch’yo brunch on at Ghost River Brewery, Celtic Crossing, and Railgarten.
- 2pm- Toss some bags during the Cornhole Tournament at Loflin Yard.
- 4pm- Party past midnight at the Mud Island Mixer.
- 5pm- Take Sunday Funday to the Jerry Lee Lewis patio for Top of Sundays.
- 6pm- Party in your best icey whites at the Second Annual Ultimate All White Day Party and chill out at Sunset Yoga downtown.
- 7pm- Get weird with 8Ball & MJG at Railgarten, sip some ‘tini’s at the Kall of the Wild Martini Tasting and Gala, show out for local hip-hop at the Memphis Legends Rap Concert & Party, and shake them hips during the Latin Dance Party.
- 7:30pm- Show some respect for Aretha Franklin at A Tribute to the Queen of Soul.
- 8pm- Hear Rock Euphora, China Gate, and Wesley Wolfe rock out at Hi Tone.
- 9pm- Rock a lot and roll a little at Lamplighter Lounge.
- 10pm- Get moody listening to Smiths and Morrisey covers at Bar DKDC.
Monday, September 3 – Happy Labor Day
- 10am – Channel Serena during the Labor Day Mixer at Leftwich Tennis Mixer.
- 11am – Get some good pub deals during Labor Day at Celtic Crossing.
- 1pm – Find some epic threads at 30 Days of Opera – Open House and Costume Sale, or get your thrills at the Delta Fair & Music Festival
- 3pm – Knock ’em back with the proper accoutrements at Monday ‘Buck’ Oysters and $4 Pints of Guinness at The Brass Door.
- 5:00pm – Head to the Cannon Center for a jazz showcase with a Memphis spin at Bluff City Jazz Festival.
- 5:30pm – Simmer down at Slow Flow with Your Inner Yogi.
- 6:00pm – Get a mix of spoken word, comedy, dance, and music at Grooves & Grapes ft. Writeous Soul, or see John Paul Keith & Co. at Lafayette’s.
- 6:30pm – Catch the UniverSoul Circus.
- 7pm – Restore your peace of mind at Meditation for Intuitive Healing at Delta Groove Yoga, or rack ’em at A Friendly Pool Tournament at Neil’s.
Need more ideas?
- See more of what’s happening this weekend in our September Events Guide.
- Find unique places to watch movies
- Enjoy Memphis for free
- Explore our foodie bucket list
- Discover where to make friends in Memphis
- Plan ahead with affordable date ideas and ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day
- Try a food truck around town
- Go bowling with friends or family
- Find ways you can volunteer in Memphis