What started as an elective at Soulsville Charter School is now a mandatory class called “Money Matters” to help Soulsville seniors learn how to manage money and become financially savvy.
The course will teach students about budgeting, credit, student loans, credit card debt and other financial concepts.
“On a scale of 1 to 10 in importance to our kids, this course is a 20,” Instructor Erin Johnson said. “These life lessons help them understand the real world, and put them on a path to success.”
-Erin Johnson, Soulsville Instructor
On Monday January 25th, Soulsville and Landmark Community Bank had a ribbon cutting for the program. Landmark is partnering with Soulsville for the class and providing a multi-year contribution of $50,000.
“The program has exceeded our expectations, both in substance and in outcomes, and that will have a big impact on these students’ lives as they enter college and then the workforce.”
-Jake Farrell, Landmark Community Bank President and CEO
Soulsville Charter School is committed to helping students prepare for success in college and life by providing them with a strong academic and musically rich learning environment.
Looking for something fun that also supports this great school? Staxtacular is for you. Support the Soulsville Foundation for a night of music, Grizzlies and fun.
- Where: Stax Museum of American Soul Music
- When: January 29 at 7 pm
- Grizzlies appearances: Vince Carter (event host), Mike Conley, Tony Allen, + more
- Live bands: Garry Goin Band, Marcella and her Lovers and Stax Music Academy
- Features: complimentary valet parking for all guests, drawing for Kendra Scott jewelry, mobile silent auction, coffee/espresso bar, opportunity to play basketball with the Grizzlies players + more
Check out what a Soulsville teacher has to say about Staxtacular and the Memphis Grizzlies. Click here to read Austin Crowder’s, a economics and U.S. government teacher at Soulsville Charter School, article in the Commercial Appeal.
Get involved with the Soulsville Foundation
- Stax Music Academy Black History Month show at Minglewood Hall 2/25
- Stax Museum Soul Cinema: The Films of Isaac Hayes starts 2/29
- Stax Museum new photo exhibit opening 3/12
Stay tuned for more details