On August 21st, many parts of the United States will get to view a rare solar eclipse, and Memphis happens to have a prime location for the viewing.
When a solar eclipse happens, the Moon completely blocks the Sun and daytime becomes deep twilight for a brief time with the Sun’s corona glowing in the darkened sky. Except for during the part of the eclipse called Totality, all viewers need to wear glasses. It is estimated that in Memphis, 93% of the sun’s surface will be covered by the moon during the eclipse. Go here to see the best time to view the eclipse for your zip code.
Buy Eclipse Glasses:
- American Paper Optics, LLC based in Bartlett is one of the major retailers for eclipse glasses and located right here in Shelby County. To purchase your glasses, visit www.eclipseglasses.com.
- The Pink Palace has eclipse glasses for sale in their gift shop (just be prepared to wait in line).
- Shelby Farms Park will have a limited amount of eclipse glasses for sale in their gift shop (limit 2 per person) starting at 10am on 8/17
- Remember, do NOT view the eclipse without proper eyewear (sunglasses do not count!). The light can permanently damage your eyes.
- NASA will stream the event live on a number of platforms, including its official Facebook, Periscope, Twitch and UStream pages, as well as on NASA TV and the official NASA YouTube channel. You can even download the official NASA apps for iPhone and Android and watch the eclipse on your phone or tablet.
Check out these suggestions on ways to watch the solar eclipse in Memphis with your friends:
- “Survive the Solar Eclipse” Party at Ghost River Brewing Co.
- Ghost River will host a free viewing party from 11 AM-2 PM. Complete with Memphis MOJO Café and MemPOPS, special viewing glasses will be sold for $3 along with beer in the Taproom. Guests are welcome to bring their own chair and blanket in order to get a good viewing spot! In addition, packages that include t-shirts, beer tickets, glasses, and more can be pre-ordered online! The event will take place at Ghost River Brewing Co. at 827 South Main Street, Memphis, TN 38106. For more information, visit the Facebook event page.
- After the eclipse, be sure to stay for the “I Survived” Party at Ghost River for live music, beer, and food.
- Total Eclipse at the Park at Shelby Farms Park
- Taking place on the Great Lawn and stage in the Heart of the Park, Meteorologist Ron Childers from WMC Action News 5 will be present to give information about the first Solar Eclipse in 38 years. The Peak Coverage will happen at 1:23pm, so the event will run from 12 PM-2:30 PM.
- Special viewing glasses can be purchased in the Lake’s Edge Gift Shop, and they are free to Park Members on August 21st. Go here for more info.
- Eclipse Luncheon at Lyfe Kitchen and the Chisca Bar
- Join Lyfe Kitchen and the Chisca Bar for a “once in a Lyfe time event” from 12 PM-2 PM on August 21st. For $21 a person, this reservation only luncheon will feature a specialty menu complete with a choice of a shareable, salad, entrée, and other goodies. The restaurant will be decorated with candlelit tables, viewing glasses, and a special champagne toast at the peak of the solar eclipse. The restaurant is located at 272 S. Main Street, Memphis, TN 38103. For more info go here.
- Eclipse Watch Party at Wiseacre Brewing Co.
- Wiseacre Brewing Company is opening early on August 21st to host a lunch and viewing party for the 2017 Solar Eclipse. Guests must book their meal online 3 days in advance. A meal package includes a sandwich or wrap from Gourmade/Bea Sweet Bakery, Sun Chips, a Moon Pie, viewing glasses, and an Astronaut Status Logo snifter! A package costs $12 in advance or $10 per package for a group of 10 or more. For more info go here.
- Solar Eclipse Lawn Party at the Dixon
- Gather on the Dixon’s South Lawn for a viewing of the solar eclipse from 11:52am to 2:50pm. (Gates will open at 10:00am.) The Dixon will be open on this special Monday to allow visitors to celebrate this amazing event in a beautiful garden setting. Admission will be by donation, and certified eclipse viewing glasses will be provided free for up to 200 guests. Sodas and lunch will be available for purchase at Park & Cherry. Before and after the viewing, enjoy the galleries and gardens. Get more info here.
- Peabody Solar Eclipse Viewing Party on the Rooftop
- Admission is a $5 minimum donation to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and includes a pair of eclipse viewing glasses. Seating will be available. Beverages and a full bar will be available. Food for purchase will include: eclipse sun cookies, moon pies, novelty ice cream Bars, and a boxed lunch special for $10. Get more info here. You can also get a special deal on a room just for the occasion here.
Enjoy a ballgame that starts at the exact time the eclipse begins. The first 5,000 fans will get free eclipse glasses.
- Eclipse Party at the Memphis Botanic Garden
- The Memphis Botanic Garden will have certified viewing glasses for sale, an astronomer onsite for questions, and a craft for the kids. Concessions available. Free with Garden admission.
- Solar Eclipse Party With Memphis College of Art
- Student affairs is happy to invite the MCA community to a Solar Eclipse Party. Classes will have a delayed start on Monday, Aug 21st, and students, facultly and staff will be treated to eclipse themed snacks and free “Get Mooned” Sunglasses to safely watch the Eclipse. Party will begin at 12:30 pm with snacks outside the Library and will go until classes begin at 2 pm.
- Solar Eclipse Event at the Pink Palace
- The Pink Palace invites all to celebrate, enjoy, learn, and experience this rare event. At 3050 Central Avenue, all guests will have access to telescopes, a scale model solar system walk, eclipse activities, astronomers, NASA live feed, and more all for free. The event will run from noon-2 pm on the front lawn. Visit their Facebook event for more information.
- Eclipse Tasting at Kirby Wines & Liquors
- On Saturday, August 19th, Kirby Wines & Liquors is offering a pre-eclipse tasting from 3-5 pm. Come to this informal tasting and find the perfect supplies for your eclipse watch party, where you will taste 7 Moons Wine Red Blend, Ole Smoky Distillery Apple Pie Moonshine, and MoonPie snacks. In addition, all of these items will be 10% during the two hours. Kirby Wines & Liquors address is 2865 Kirby Rd, Memphis, Tennessee 38119.
- Eclipse at the Brooks
- The Brooks is hosting an eclipse watch party from 11:30 am-2:30 pm on Monday, August 21st. The event will take place at the plaza, and the first people to arrive will get free Eclipse glasses. Bring your own lawn chair, and then create your own solar eclipse drawing with chalk and paper. The Brooks is located at 1934 Poplar Avenue, Memphis, TN 38104.
- Big Solar Crossing on the Big River Crossing
- For an unobstructed view of the sky and the Memphis Skyline, head to the Big River Crossing around 1:23 PM on August 21st for the Solar Eclipse. Attendance is recommended from 11:30 am-3 pm. The Big River Crossing is encouraging all guests to order viewing glasses on Amazon that are made here locally by American Paper Optics, LLC of Bartlett, TN. The Big River Crossing is located over the Mississippi River at the state lines of Tennessee and Arkansas.
- Solar Eclipse Viewing Party at Overton Square
- Head to the Tower Courtyard in Overton Square between 11 am-3 pm on August 21st for a special viewing party. The first 50 guests in Overton Square will get free viewing glasses for the first full solar eclipse in the US since 1979! Stay tuned to the Facebook Event page for updated information on businesses and promotions available at the viewing party.
- Ping Pong – The Sun is Gone at Railgarten
- Be sure to head on over to Railgarten for cocktails, pizza, and ice cream in the Ping-Pong room! The yard will be open, and the first 50 guests will receive eclipse glasses! The event is from 11 am-2 pm at 2166 Central Avenue, Memphis, TN 38104.