October in Memphis is jam-packed with all kinds of activities, festivals, and more. Check out these events, put them on your calendar, and share with your friends.
Ongoing Weekly Events:
- Fall Music Series at the Levitt Shell (Free)
- Movie Nights at Beale St Landing (Free)
- Jimmy Ogle’s Walking Tours (Free)
- Farmer’s Markets
- 5ks in the 901
- Zombie Paintball
- Haunted Web
- Pumpkin Patches & Corn Mazes
- Memphis Grizzlies
- Memphis Tigers Football
- Wednesday, October 1 – Dishcrawl on Broad Avenue – 7pm
This event will be an exploration of the Broad Avenue neighborhood with food from local restaurants, live music at the Water Tower Pavilion, and shopping at various local shops. Vegetarian options will be available.
- Wednesday, October 1 – Greensky Bluegrass w/ Mason Jar Fireflies – 1884 Lounge – 7pm – $15
This show is 18+. Get tickets here.
- Wednesday, October 1 – CHVRCHES w/ The Range at Minglewood Hall – 8pm
This show is all ages. Doors at 8pm. $22 Advanced/$25 Day of Show + fees. Get tickets here.
- Thursday, Oct 2nd – Fall Preview Party at Found Memphis – 6-9pm
Come out for a cocktail and shop the new fall looks. The Henny Penny Mobile will be out front showing off her new looks as well. There will be live music and some amazing mid century home goods to make your holiday party stand out this year.
- Thursday, Oct 2nd – Indie Memphis Film Fest PREVIEW PARTY – 7-9pm
High Cotton Brewing Co. is hosting the 2014 Preview Party on Thursday, Oct 2. Join in on the fun as Indie Memphis announces the lineup for this year’s Indie Memphis Film Festival, and show trailers for some of the films they’re most excited about. You’ll also behold spectacles of magic & pageantry, drink world class beers from High Cotton, and savor tasty bites from Heart and Soul Catering by Michael Francis. Want to attend? Indie Memphis membership gets you on the guest list! Join or renew today here.
- October 3-5th – Creative Works Conference – SOLD OUT
A place to connect, learn and be inspired by amazing people who know how creative works. This event is now sold out.
- Friday October 3rd – First Fridays: Rest In Peace – Woodruff Fontaine – 6-9pm
This is a special opportunity to tour the WF after dark! Dimmed lamps and veiled mirrors will greet guests for an enchanted evening fit for the most mournful. For one night we turn our attention to the “dead” of the mansion. Learn about the tragedy and bittersweet ends of a few of early Memphis’ most gilded citizens. Also, an exclusive showing from private Memento Mori and oddities collections. Suggested donation: $15. Please RSVP by calling the museum at 901-526-1469.
- Friday, October 3rd – Phantogram w/ Lia Ices & Spaceface – Minglewood Hall – 8pm
All Ages – Doors at 8pm. $20 Advanced/$23 Day of Show
PHANTOGRAM is the duo comprised of Josh Carter and Sarah Barthel of Saratoga Springs, NY. Their music is a mix of hazy dream pop, dark atmospheres, and head-knocking rhythms melded into a compelling, original sound. Get tickets here.
- Friday, October 3rd – Short in the Sleeve @ Java Cabana – 8pm
This show will be an acoustic trio from 8-9:30pm.
- Saturday, October 4th – Oktoberfest at High Cotton – 12pm-7pm
There’s a reason why Oktoberfest is world famous- it’s got something for everybody. And we’re bringing all of those somethings to High Cotton. Circus performers, live music, games for the kids. Oh, and all the beer you want. Just think of it as your $40 ticket to Bavaria. (Use the code “choose901” when you get your tickets for $5 off!)
Your ticket includes: Open taps all day, Locally made bratwurst and other German fare, First taste of the new Oktoberfest Lager, Exclusive beer selection not available in Memphis, Fun and games for the entire family, Kids under 12 get in for free, and POLKA! For $75, you get all of the above, plus: All-you-can eat German-style buffet, Locally raised whole pig roast, Oktoberfest t-shirt, Expanded beer selection, and a commemorative glass beer stein. A portion of all proceeds go to Grow Memphis
Learn more about High Cotton in our video below:
- Saturday, October 4th – Loving Local at Summer Drive-In – 6-9pm – $30/$45/$60
Admission includes: Two movies at the Malco Drive-In (both movies are Memphis themed), lots of great food from PGF certified vendors, beer from Wiseacre Brewing Company, wine from Chateau St. Michelle and drinks by Roaring Tiger Vodka, music by Memphis band, Impala, games (giant jenga, cornhole and mini-golf), live auction, DIY s’mores with fixings by LadyBugg Bakery, and more. Buy tickets here.
- Saturday, October 4th – Clubhouse Stand Up at Five in One Social Club – 8pm-1am – Free
Come out for another night of stand up comedy in the Clubhouse with Katrina Coleman. No cover charge and beer will be provided.
Learn more about Five in One in our video below:
- Sunday, October 5th – Bacon & Beer Festival w/ Rosco Bandana, 98.1 The MAX – 10am-6pm
Bacon, Beer, Vendors, Kids Play Area, Live Music & More! Register you team and you could win over $1,000. Cost is $7.
- Monday, October 5th – The Head and the Heart w/ Rayland Baxter at Minglewood – 8pm – $30
Doors at 8pm – All Ages, Get tickets here.
- October 6-10th – Fall Break Camps at Shelby Farms Park
Shelby Farms has introduced a new Fall Break camp for parents and students looking for an alternative break from school. Students ages 6-11 can experience nature and adventure with new themes of Science, Arts, Adventure, Wildlife, and Sports introduced daily.
- Thursday, October 9th – John Kilzer at Lafayette’s Music Room – 7pm
- Thursday, October 9th – Dinner on Stage at the Orpheum – 6pm
Get an inside peek into the stories and history of the historic Orpheum as told by Pat Halloran. The evening includes a cocktail reception, a tour of the theatre and back stage, a brief film in the auditorium about The Orpheum’s history, a three-course meal with wine, Broadway trivia and an enlightening Q&A session. Dine on the stage where the stars perform! Tickets are $75 per person, $50 for current season ticket holders, or $550 for a table of 8. The event is limited to 90 guests. orpheum-memphis.com
- Friday, October 10th – 2nd Annual Memphis Music Showcase: Benefiting St. Jude – 7pm – $10
For the second year in a row, some of Memphis’ premiere and emergent young artists will come together to benefit St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Headlining the cause will be the River City Tanlines. They’ll be joined by Knowledge Nick, Chinese Connection Dub Embassy, Sin City Scoundrels, and The Whiskey Republic. Due to high demand, this year’s event will be held at the Minglewood Hall 1884 Lounge with 100 percent of the cover going directly to St. Jude. Doors open at 7:00pm.
- Friday, October 10th – Dead Soldiers “Large Band” at The Hitone – 9pm-3am – $10
Local Memphis musicians Dead Soldiers have moved their show from the Levitt Shell to the Hitone due to inclement weather. Cost is $10, and the Dead Soldiers will play at 11pm.
- Friday, October 10th – Mister Adams at The Cove w/ Misti Rae (Special non-smoking event) – 10pm – $5
Mister Adams will play The Cove again for a special NON-SMOKING NIGHT! For all of those folks out there who love to hear live music, but like to avoid smoky venues, this performance is made special just for you. Misti Rae Holton (Misti Rae) will be kicking the night off with a set of original songs.
- Friday, October 10th – Spillit Story Slam: Persuasion – 8-10pm – $10 – 18+
Come out for an evening of stories. The theme is Persuasion. It’s a competition but it’s also an opportunity to share five minutes of YOU with a room full of kind folks who appreciate stories. If you want to tell your five minute story, you’ll drop your name in the bucket. They’ll draw up to eight names and each person has five minutes to tell their story. Three judges score the stories on a scale of 1-10 based on content and presentation. The storyteller must bring the story to life and connect with the audience. The story is 5 minutes or less. No props or notes are allowed. After basking in triumphant glory, the winner is invited to compete in the Story Grand Slam November 21 for the title of Grand Master Storyteller of Memphis.
Learn more about Spillit in our video below:
- Saturday, October 11th – Relevent Roasters Pop-Up Coffee Shop – 8am-11am
Coffee is $1.50 per mug ($1.40 if you bring your own), To-go cups available as well. Bags of coffee are $12.95. Wi-Fi available.
- Saturday, October 11th – Oktoberfest Squared – 12pm-10pm – Free
Overton Square is hosting an all-day festival named after a German tradition: Oktoberfest Squared! On Saturday, October 11th, the tower courtyard will be filled with lederhosen, stein hoisting, and general merriment. This event comes just in time to celebrate Schweinehaus opening across the street. There’s going to be live music all day including Memphis’ only traditional oompah band, The Sauerkraut Six, friendly games and competitions, including stein-hoisting (how long can you hold a liter of beer?). Free Sam Adams tastings and 16 oz. draft beers for $5. Go here for more info.
- Saturday, October 11th – Black Girls Code: Robot Expo – 10am-4pm – $35
The Memphis Chapter of Black Girls CODE will host their first local Robot Expo! on October 11, 2014 at the University of Memphis, Dunn Hall 3725 Norriswood Avenue. The program will focus on building and programing roots using LEGO NXT and WeDo kits, and was made possible by a generous grant from FedEx. Black Girls CODE workshops have been scheduled to introduce girls to a variety technology subjects and encourage girls to pursue career paths in STEM. More info here.
- Saturday, October 11th – 2014 Cooper-Young Regional Beerfest – 1-5pm – (sold out)
Back for its 5th year, the Cooper-Young Regional Beerfest will have 28 breweries from our region and 2 local homebrew clubs for you to enjoy. This event is sold out.
- Saturday, October 11th – Grizzlies vs. Hawks (first pre-season home game) – 7pm
Grizzlies Season Tickets start at just $5 per game. Call 901.888.HOOP or visit grizzlies.com to view the full game schedule and purchase tickets.
- Saturday, October 11th – Memphis Tigers Football vs. Houston at the Liberty Bowl – 6pm
Watch the Tigers play at home against Houston. Get tickets here.
- Saturday, October 11th – Return of the Living Dance Party – 8pm-3am
The pre-party takes place at Arthouse Memphis (706 S. Cox, walking distance to Black Lodge) from 6pm-8pm where FREE Memphis brewed Ghost River Ale will be served along with T-shirt giveaways while supplies last. Then head over to Black Lodge Video ( 831 Cooper St) where the music starts at 10pm with DJs Kid J, Cozmo, & Witnesse along with spooky video projections / live visual mixing by Keith Krass. This party is also a benefit to help out Christopher ‘Woodsy’ Smith with current medical expenses. No cover!
- October 17 – 19 & October 24 – 26 – Le Bonheur Zoo Boo 2014
The annual event is back! From hayrides to candy stations to straw mazes, you won’t want to miss this SPOOK-tacular Halloween event. Zoo Boo is fun for ghosts and goblins of all ages, and now with six nights of frights, there is even more Boo to enjoy! Hours are 5:30pm-9:30pm. Advance tickets: $10/members; $13/nonmembers Day of event tickets: $12/members; $15/nonmembers Click here to purchase tickets or call 901.333.6572.
- Saturday, October 18 & Sunday October 19th – Memphis Outdoor Festival at Shelby Farms Park
Come out for beer, bikes, trail running, paddle boarding, Dock Dogs, and more! Get tickets here.
- Saturday, October 18th – Mad Sweep 3 – 9am-12pm
This the 3rd annual Clean Up event, helping to keep Madison Avenue the inviting, clean, and walk-able street it is during this beautiful time of year. Check in at Clean Memphis (1859 Madison) at 9am to receive your morning fuel of coffee and donuts, plus your complimentary cleaning supplies to get started. From there you will walk up and down the street, picking up trash and debris, plus any other task that needs tending to along the way.
- Saturday, October 18th – MEMFix: Edge District – 10am-8pm – Free
This is a one-day, community-driven effort to imagine a reinvigorated Edge District, roughly defined as the area within a quarter-mile radius of the Marshall Avenue/Monroe Avenue intersection. More info and list of vendors here.
- Saturday, October 18th – Lindenfest – 10am-4pm – Free
A free event for the whole family. There will be arts and crafts vendors, food trucks, kids area, farmers market, live music, and more.
- Saturday, October 18th – 2nd Annual Steamroller Printing at Five in One Social Club – 12pm-8pm
Come out and watch these guys print GIGANTIC woodcut prints with a STEAMROLLER.
- Saturday, October 18th – Black Lodge Video’s 15th Annual Halloween Masquerade Ball – 8pm – $5
Get ready for everything you want in a halloween part: costumes, energy, friends, and plenty to eat and drink!
Black Lodge Video is hosting the 15th annual Halloween Masquerade Ball this weekend. Live music, local musicians Switchblade Kid will be releasing their newest record and live video at the party, too. Film starts at 9:30… music at 10. More details here.
- Saturday, October 18th – Other Stories @ The Brass Door w/ Good Band – 8:30pm – $5
Come for the music, stay for the questionable fashion choices of mr. jeffery paul culley. $5 cover. beer and food and all that.
- Saturday, October 18th – Blues City Burlesque presents Freaks, Geeks, & Peeks – 10pm – $10
If you’re hankering to see some beauties that go bump N grind in the night, then head over to Crosstown Arts on October 18th, 2014 for a night of Halloween nerdlesque. See your favorite frightening ghouls dressed up as video game, movie, and comic book characters – all for your delight! Tickets are $10 and the show starts at 10pm sharp.
- Sunday, October 19th – Downtown v. Midtown #3 – 2pm – Free
Knotted with a win apiece, Midtown and Downtown square off in the final Sandlot Baseball game of the 2014 season. Winner takes home the bragging rights and the pennant. This tie-breaking game will take place in the new Get RiverFit soccer field on the South end of Tom Lee Park. Sache There will be on-site screen printing t-shirts. Come out and support your zip code!
- Sunday, October 19th – Artistik Lounge Presents: The Concert – 7-11pm – $10
This month Artistik Approach presents the 3rd Annual “THE CONCERT” featuring various artists from previous events all coming together on one night. A portion of the nights proceeds will go toward The SMA (South Memphis Alliance, Inc.) in support of Domestic Violence Awareness month. Doors open at 7pm. Cash Bar and Great Food available. Admission is $10.
Learn more about Artistik Approach in our video below:
- Thursday, October 23rd – Brian Regan at The Orpheum – 7:30pm
One of the most respected comedians in the country, Brian Regan is a legendary performer selling out theaters from coast to coast and earning praise from the press, the public, and fellow comedians. Get tickets here.
- Friday, October 24th – Sunday, October 26th – RiverArtsFest – Free/$5
RiverArtsFest is an urban street festival that celebrates the visual, performing and culinary arts with attractions and activities for all ages. Over 175 artists from around the country will gather to exhibit and sell their latest works of original fine arts in one of this region’s largest outdoor juried artist markets. RiverArtsFest will be held October 24*, 25 and 26. Friday, 6 to 9 p.m., Saturday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. *Friday evening, October 24 from 6 to 9 p.m., is a FREE RiverArtsFest preview event with a special live music concert courtesy of Downtown Memphis Commission and the South Main Merchants Association. The artist’s booths located from Central Station north to Huling will be open for this evening preview. A ticketed RAF Fundraiser Preview Party is also held that evening. Tickets available at the door. More info here.
- Saturday, October 25th – Aimee & Rickie’s Rock n’ Roll Country Carnival – 2-6pm – Free
This is a free, family-friendly, community event at the Broad Avenue Pavilion! There will be games, prizes, art activities, music and comedy performances, a photo-booth and more! There will be a food booth provided by Pink Noodle Vegan Cuisine and a juice booth provided by The Cosmic Coconut.
- Saturday, October 25th – Shangri-La Records Yard Sale and Purgefest – 9am-5pm – Free
Shangri-La just has too much stuff and not enough space, so they are having a giant yard sale. You’ll find thousands of LPS + CDs for a buck or less. Everything in the store will be 20% off, and there will be free live music featuring Marcella and Rory that starts at 2pm.
- Saturday, October 25th – Cigars and Bourbon Trunkshow at The Cedar Room – 10am-6pm
Come to the Cedar Room for bourbon, cigars, SEC rivalries, and shopping. They will be airing the Vols-Bama game and will have drawings for some local swag.
- Saturday, October 25th – Costume Twilight Tour at Elmwood – 4pm – $15/$20
If you have never visited Elmwood, this tour is the best way to get to know the cemetery and the individuals who rest here. Costumed characters portraying Elmwood residents will introduce you to the history of Memphis’ oldest active cemetery. This all-walking tour will begin at 4pm and tour groups will depart from the Cottage every ten minutes and the last tour will begin at 5:30 p.m. Tickets can be purchased in advance for $15. Tickets will be $20 the day of the event. Children under 12 will be admitted free. This event takes place rain or shine. More info here.
- Saturday, October 25th – Halloween at The Warehaüs – 7pm-2am
This Halloween party will have music like the Sin City Scoundrels, Neev, and more as well as a Costume Contest, horror movie showing, and other festivities. All proceeds will go toward supporting breast cancer research.
- Saturday, October 25th – Sock It To Me Burlesque Presents: Vamped Out – 9pm – $10 – 18+
Burlesque performances by: LADY DOO MOI, FRIDA COX, REQUI EMMA of the MEMPHIS BELLES, and FRANKIE LAFEMME, with your emcee, CHLOE DU BOIS. Doors at 9pm, Show at 10pm, Music by DJ Justin Hand after the show.
- Saturday, October 25th – Art on Fire at the Dixon – 7pm – $60/$75
Be entertained by fire dancers, performance artist Eli Gold, music by Memphis-based band Bluff City Backsliders, singer-songwriter Grace Askew, drumming group Kindred Spirit, live painting by artist Danny Broadway, and “surprise acts”. Enjoy food by Acre, Amerigo Italian Resturant , Andrew Michael , Bangkok Alley, Cafe Society, Cheffie’s , Ciao Bella , CFY Catering, Debutante Farmer, Felicia Suzanne’s, Fratelli’s , Frost Bake Shop, The Grove Grill, Half Shell, Humdinger’s, Interim, Java Cabana, Jim N Nicks, Just For Lunch, Lucchesi’s, Memphis Pizza Café, Mosa, Owen Brennan, Swanky’s, Sweet Grass, Taziki’s, Wang’s Mandarin House, and Nikki’s Hot Ass Products. There will be art offerings in travel, culture, original artwork from established and emerging artists, jewelry, wine, dining, and more. Cost is $60 for Dixon members and $75 for non-members. The price includes admission, beer, wine, and food. Event day tickets are $75. More info here.
- Thursday, October 30th – Black Cadillacs//Spaceface//Liquid Teens Costume Party at the Hi-Tone – 9pm – $8
The Black Cadillacs Spaceface & Liquid Teens are joining forces to bring you one evening of epic proportions. There will be a costume contest, lights, lasers, beer, and more for just $8. Set times are TBD.
- Friday, October 31st – 2014 Live Halloween Broadcast – 7pm-8:30pm
Chatterbox returns to the airwaves with anthology show of terrifying original tales, all performed live on the air! Join Chatterbox live at 91.1FM for an evening of spooky, gory, eerie, and shocking stories, conjured by their cast and crew in the darkest regions of your imagination. Definitely not for the faint of heart!
- Friday, October 31st – Halloween Party at Celtic Crossing – 10pm-2:30am
Celtic is having a night of fright with a costume contest, drink specials, and more. $5 cover
- Friday, October 31st – Haunted Happenings at Woodruff Fontaine – 7-10pm – $20for an evening of spooky, gory, eerie, and shocking stories, conjured by their cast and crew in the darkest regions of your imagination. Definitely not for the faint of heart!
This is the 6th Annual Fall Fundraiser to benefit preservation efforts by Memphis Chapter, APTA, and is a truly unique evening of “spirited” fun. For one night only, the museum transforms into a haunted mansion as spectral docents lead tours through the darkened halls, with ghost stories at every turn. Visit with gypsy fortune tellers and other Victorian themed Halloween fun. Expedition Unknown, local TAPS family members will be conducting a LIVE paranormal investigation during the evening and sharing actual haunted evidence from inside the Mansion. Traditional turn of the century Hallow’een treats served in the carriage house.
Admission is $20. Group reservations may be accepted by calling the museum 901-526-1469.
- Friday, October 31st – Masquerade Charity Ball at the Pink Palace – 8pm-1am – $150
This event was created by Chef Phillip Ashley Rix to celebrate dynamic organizations that support the Memphis community.
On October 31, 2014, the inaugural charity ball will be held at the historic Pink Palace Mansion raising money in support of this year’s honorees: Church Health Center, MIFA and Girls, Inc., and Frago (New Kid on the Block). Get your tickets here.
- Friday, October 31st – Dead Soldiers with Clay Otis, James & The Ultrasounds – Hi-Tone – 9pm – $10
In case you miss The Dead Soldiers earlier this month at the Shell, they will be at the Hi-Tone on Halloween night and will play alongside local pop singer Clay Otis as well as James & The Ultrasounds. The Hi-Tone will also hold their annual costume party with a best dressed male and female contest. The winners get free admission to The Hi-Tone for a whole year.
- Friday, October 31st – South Main Trolley Night – 6-9pm – Free
Come out to South Main on the last Friday of every month for Trolley Night–a fun and family friendly community event! Tonight there is live music, trick-or-treating, and discounts for wearing a costume! Go here for more info.