Photo: Jeff Riddle
Revolution has announced its first round of investments from the Rise of the Rest Seed fund (“ROTR Fund”), and one of the stops on the tour is right here in Memphis.
— Revolution (@revolution) February 14, 2018
This spring, the bus tour will make stops in Dallas on May 7, then head to Memphis on May 8, Birmingham on May 9, Chattanooga on May 10 and will finish up in Louisville on May 11 to showcase emerging startup ecosystems and invest $500,000 from the ROTR Fund. Investments of $100,000 will be available to a local startup at each stop. Google for Entrepreneurs, a longtime Rise of the Rest partner, will again provide coaches to help founders with their pitches.
Memphis will receive a $100,000 investment from Revolution, a Washington, D.C.-based investment firm.
“It brings the attention of the world outside of Memphis to the investability of Memphis, which means our companies will start to get more access to capital, customers and talent, which we are ripe for right now. We are ready at this moment to receive the extra capacity,” said Leslie Smith, executive director of Epicenter.
Things to know:
- All innovative startups are encouraged to apply; applicants are not limited to a single sector or industry.
- Startups that are currently raising an early-stage round or planning to raise an early-stage round in the next 6-12 months are eligible to apply. We define early-stage as: angel, seed, Series A.
- The $100K investment will be made by the ROTR Seed Fund, backed by 3 dozen iconic entrepreneurs, investors, and executives, including Jeff Bezos, Eric Schmidt, Howard Shultz, Meg Whitman, Sarah Blakely, Sheila Johnson, Mike Bloomberg, Megan Smith, Henry Kravis, the Walton family, the Pritzker family, and many more.
- For a comprehensive list of Frequently Asked Questions, click here.
- Applications will close on March 20, 2018, and finalists will be announced on April 5, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so get yours in as soon as possible!