Memphis offers many kinds of summer camps for your kids and teens to attend, enjoy, and learn something new. Not all of them are your typical summer camp either. Check out our list below:
Updated for 2017
- Memphis Athletic Ministries Summer Academy (June 5 – July 21)
Memphis Athletic Ministries (MAM) is offering summer academy at five locations this summer for students from 3rd-8th grade! These camps will include interactive lessons on math, science, reading, art, and Bible. Camp will also include plenty of recreational activities including GrizzFit. Each site will be open from 7:30am-5:30pm. Cost for all 7 weeks of camp is $250. This cost includes all activities and lunch each day. Field trips are an additional cost.
- STREETS Summer Camp (June 5 through July 21)
- For all rising 5th -8th graders
- Monday – Friday from 9am-3pm
- Enjoy games, sports leagues, sciences projects, academic enrichment, bible studies and field trips, not to mention lunch and a snack each day.
- Spots are limited and early registration deals end 5/1.
The Art Project Summer Camps – (June – July)
The Art Project has several summer camps available for children ages 5 – 10. Camps focussing on drawing, painting, robots, fashion, 3D art, and even Star Wars, kids can learn to love art and explore their creativity openly. All camps run from 9 am – 11:30 am with early care available at 8:30 am. Mini art camp runs for 4 days and costs $125 and all other camps run for 5 days and cost $160. Art Project members get 15% off the total cost of camp.
PRIZM Music Camp & International Chamber Music Festival – (June 5 – 17)
International classical musicians come are coming to Memphis to help aspiring classical musicians during the PRIZM Music Camp. Any student ages 12 or older with at least of two years of experience on their instrument can join the camp. Campers not only get musical training, but also the opportunity to perform in concerts alongside PRIZM Camp’s international faculty during the PRIZM International Chamber Music Festival. Tuition for the camp is $375.
Grizzlies Basketball Camps – (May 30 – August 3)
Boys and girls can show their grit at the Memphis Grizzlies Basketball Camps. Kids ages 7 – 16 get 28 hours of camp instruction on basketball skills from the pros. You also get a reversible jersey and 2 Grizzlies game tickets. Camps are all across Memphis and last from 9 am – 4 pm. The cost for a week of camps ranges from $225 to $375.
St. George’s Independent School Summer Camps – (June 5 – August 4)
St. George’s Independent School is offering many summer camps covering academics, adventure, athletics, arts, STEM, and more! Camps including ACT prep, , and creative writing will educate and improve kids academic skills. Camps like explore 901 and Amplify Memphis will show kids why Memphis is amazing. Camps such as robotics, Lego master builders, and digital game design will show children that STEM jobs are cool. Camps including visual arts, performing arts, and music will open imagination within campers. Costs for some camps are as low as $150.
Orpheum Summer Camps – (June 12 – June 16, June 26 – June 30)
The Orpheum has several summer camps for kids entering grades 4 – 6, grades 7 – 9, and grades 10 – 12. Each camps aims to engage campers with the performing arts and theater. The Rising Stars Camp will work with songs a choreography from the upcoming Orpheum Broadway season. Junior Broadway Bootcamp and Senior Broadway Bootcamp brings students together to learn from theater professionals and create their own skits. Cost for most of the camps is $250, with the Musical Theatre Intensive costing $325.
KROC Memphis (June – August)
KROC Memphis has 9 weeks of camp for kids ages 4 – 12. Times for camps are dependent on the camp, but the earliest start at 8:30 am and end at 4:30 pm at the latest. Camps cost between $115 and $135.
Memphis College of Art – (June – July)
The Memphis College of Art offers different art class for kids ages 5 – 18 and junior camps for ages 4 – 6 throughout the summer. You can register for morning sessions from 9 am – noon, afternoon sessions from 1 pm – 4 pm, all day, extended mornings, and extended afternoons.. The cost for camp is $175 for one class, $165 for a second class, and $160 for any additional added classes. Classes range from exploratory creative expression to rigorous investigation of design principles.
Whether your child is an expert artists or just now learning how to draw, Art and Soul Studio has art camps for all.
Zoo Camp – May 30 – August 4
The Memphis Zoo has several weeks of camps for children in pre-k all the way through 8th grade. At zoo camp, your child can enjoy games, crafts, tours, keeper chats, live animal visits, and even more zoo fun. This year, the zoo is offering specialty camps including LEGO themed camps. Each camp lasts Monday – Friday from 9 am – 3 pm. Cost per Week is $170 for members and $199 for non-members. Specialty camps cost $160 per week for members and $185 per week for non-members.
Grizzlies Code Camp – June – July
The CodeCrew invites students from grades 6 – 10 who want to build coding experience to fine tune their skills in design and programming of mobile apps. The camp will meet Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30 pm – 5:30 pm at Lester Community Center. The administrative cost is just $10 thanks to the full scholarship with completion of the CodeCrew registration packet which is due on the first day. Register for the beginner camp here, intermediate camp here, advanced camp here.
Memphis Volleyball Camps – June through July
The University of Memphis is hosting multiple volleyball camps for different age groups.
Shelby Farms Summer Camps – June
Shelby Farms Park’s camps encourage exploration, adventure and discovery through exciting hands-on activities for children in grades K-9 (age group determined by grade last completed). Nature Camp (grades K-2) and Adventure Camp (grades 3-6) fun includes nature hikes, archery, water recreation, fitness classes and environmental education session that are tailored to each camp’s age groups. Equestrian Camp (grades 3-9) offers several options for beginners and one session for advanced riders. All camps are in session from 8:30am-2:30pm.
- Nature Explorers Summer Camp – (June 5 – 9, June 12 – 16)
Ages 6-12. $180 for Non-members per week. $170 for Pink Palace Family of Museum Members per week. Spend time outdoors exploring nature trails, discovering and learning about Mid-South habitats, meeting live animals, and engaging in nature crafts and games. Before care from 7:30am-9:00am -$36 for the week. After care from 3:00pm-6:00pm -$68 for the week.
- Woodland Summer Camp – (May 30 – July 28)
Summer camps are available from PreK through 8th grade with half day and full day options.
Ages 6 – 12 can learn drawing, painting, batik, pottery, mosaics, and even more at Garden Path Studio for the summer art camp. After care is available and the camp costs $250.
Visible Music Week – (July 2 – July 7)
Visible Music Week is an exciting summer music program for high school students. In addition to this training, Visible Music Week will provide sessions emphasizing vocals, drums, bass, guitar, and keyboard. Throughout the week, you will study and play in a live band setting as well as record a song in a real studio environment. For example, in Memphis, students will be introduced to Visible’s own recording studio and their own record label, Madison Line Records. Visible Music Week will also provide hands-on seminars that cover topics in worship leadership, music production, and music business. paid attendance at Visible Music Week is subtracted from your future tuition at Visible Music College at any time that you decide to enter the college as a full-time student.
Central Learning Center Summer Day Camp – (May 31 – August)
Central Learning Center is providing a summer day camp for kids in Kindergarten – 8th grade. Your child can enjoy two all-inclusive field trips a week, swimming every Monday, chapel every week in addition to sports, art, crafts, and science. Care is offered from 7 am – 6 pm Monday – Friday for each week of camp. The cost for camp is $170 per week for the first child and $153 per week for each additional child.
Free Memphis Library Summer Camps – (June – August) – Free
The Memphis Public Libraries are offering free Summer Camps again this year, at various Library branches, serving more than 250 students between the ages of 10 and 18, from June 12 – August 3. Students will learn cutting-edge skills like coding, music production, and STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, ARTS and Mathematics). Lunch and snacks will be provided at each camp, and all campers will receive a free T-shirt and drawstring backpack. The application period begins April 5, and the deadline to submit applications is May 8, 2017. For more information, call (901) 415-2760.
Summer Youth Theatre Conservatory at Playhouse on the Square – (June – August)
Playhouse on the Square’s Summer Youth Theatre Conservatory is open to any student interested in theatre regardless of experience. All of the courses are taught by professional artists. Self-esteem is of primary importance to our program. Theatre is the perfect environment for a child to find their voice. Session sizes are limited to allow for maximum individual attention and development. Camps range from $185 to $550.
Dance Summer Camps are a great way for your child to experience dance in a fun and safe atmosphere. For beginners up through the more serious student, Ballet on Wheels offers a “Fairy Princess” Dance Camp, Dance Mania Camp, and a Jr. Dance Intensive. Younger dancers will enjoy pretending to be their favorite princess characters, dance games and creating fun crafts. Other campers will be introduced to new dance genres, learn choreography, and fun dance games. On the final day of each camp there will be an in-studio performance for family and friends. Ages 3-18.
- Basketball Skills Development Camp – (June 6 – June 9)
From 9am-3pm, open to boys and girls ages 8-14. Includes a tshirt.
First Quarter: by 2/28 – $150 (sibling $135)
Second Quarter: by 3/31 – $175 (sibling $160)
Third Quarter: after 3/31 – $200 (sibling $185)
Fourth Quarter: on-site registration – $215 (sibling $200)
Hattiloo Camp Awareness – (May 30 – July 7)
Camp Awareness is an arts emergence program that aims to broaden the cultural bounds of 9 -13 year olds through exposure to multiple art disciplines. In this safe and nurturing environment, community is emphasized, friendship valued, and personal growth celebrated. In each of the unique two-week sessions, youth will enjoy high-quality performance art training, daily workshops that develop and strengthen core performance techniques, and in-depth lessons on luminaries in African American performance history. Participants will study under local professional artists, and perform in a showcase for family and friends at the end of each session. The cost for each session is $325. Season subscribers receive a 10% discount. Camp hours are 8:30am to 3:30pm. Aftercare is available from 3pm-5pm for an additional fee.
The Arch Mid-South empowers those with developmental and intellectual disabilities and is offering a summer camp on July 27 – 31 at Pine Crest Retreat Center in Moscow, Tennessee. Campers can enjoy outdoor recreations, relaxation time, great food, and tons more. The minimum requirement is 8 years of age.
Through Y summer programs, the social-emotional, cognitive, and physical development of all youth are nurtured and celebrated. Children as well as Teens will build positive character values, develop new skills, and make new friends all while participating in a fun and healthy atmosphere. Fees vary by location and include weekly tuition and a one-time registration fee. The registration fee is waived for families who have a household membership with the YMCA. Income based discounted rates are available. See FAQs here and go here for more info.
- Revolutions Bike Camp – (June 5 – 9, June 12 – 16)
Cost is $175 per child and includes a healthy snack, plenty of water, and all activities. Campers will learn to work on bicycles in a workshop and navigate the neighborhood. Campers will need to bring their own bicycles to ride. If you don’t have a bike, stop by Revolutions to buy one before camp starts. Wrench and Ride camp is from 8:30am-noon. Need a full day camp? Add the afternoon Art Camp for $210.
- Tennessee Shakespeare Company’s Fantastical Summer Camps at Hutchison School
- Something Wicked This Way Comes – Grades 7-12 – June 12 through 23
- Be a Sprite! – Grades JK-1 – July 31 through August 4
- Make ‘Em Laugh: Shakespeare’s Clowns – Grades 2-6 – July 31 through August 4
- Summer Camps at Evangelical Christian School – May 30-July 28
Summer Camps at Evangelical Christian School offer everything from sports to a Kanakuk Kampout to ceramics for all ages. Kids can experience 8 different sports in one week. Kanakuk Kampout is a nationally renowned camping program which is coming to our area only at ECS! Artist in Residence David Butler is conducting limited-size classes in ceramics and clay, a rare opportunity. Costs as low as $150 for some camps.
- Ballet on Wheels – June 12th through July 14th
Summer Dance Camps at Ballet On Wheels are a great way for your child to experience dance in a fun and safe atmosphere. On the final day of each camp, there will be an in-studio performance for family and friends! All camps will begin in June and are for youth ages 3-18.
- VEX Robotics Camps – June 12-16th and July 10-14th
- Intro to VEX Robotics
- For rising 6th through 9th graders
- Introduction to using the engineering design process to strategize, design, build, program and test a VEX robot. Students will work in small teams.
- Location: CHS
- Session 1 – $225 – June 12 – 16, 9a – noon
- Session 2 – $225 – July 10 – 14, 9a – noon
- Email email@example.com to book a spot.
- Advanced VEX Robotics
- For rising 8th through 10th graders
- Apply the engineering design process for advanced robot design, integrating sensors, gear ratios, wheel distances, and ROBOTC programming for autonomous movement and driver operation.
- Location: CHS
- Pre-req: A good attitude and VEX, FTC or programming experience. (If attending Intro to VEX Robotics in Session 1, may attend Advanced in Session 2.)
- Session 1 – $225 – June 12 – 16, 1p – 4p
- Session 2 – $225 – July 10 – 14, 1p – 4p
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to book a spot.
- Intro to VEX Robotics
- Fleet Feet Kids Run Memphis Summer Running Camp
- June 5-9, 8:30 – 11:30am, with a graduation run on Sat. June 10 at 8:30am.
- For ages 8-11
- Summer Camps at Memphis Botanic Gardens
- June 5-9. Summer Skills Mini-Camps. 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Ages 8-12. These half-day camps focus on exploring outdoor or nature-related skills with our expert instructors! Activities will vary, so choose individual dates or join us for all five! Monday: Citizen Science Journaling. Tuesday: Photography in Nature. Wednesday: Hula Hoop Skills. Thursday: Enchanted Architecture for Fairies and Gnomes. Friday: Organic Gardening.MBG members $35 per day/non-members $40 per day.
- June 12-16. Caterpillar Club Camp: Sense of Adventure. 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Ages 4 and 5. Discover your 5 senses with a variety of outdoor adventures, hands-on crafts, and more! Activities will vary, so choose individual dates or join us for all five! MBG members $125/non-members $150.
- June 19-23. Eco Adventures Camp. 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. Ages 10-12. Trek, tread, hike, and splash through the Garden! Eco-experts will lead campers into a different eco-system every day for guided exploration, activities, and crafts. MBG members $150/non-members $200.
- June 26-30. Nature Scene Investigators Camp. 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. Ages 5-7. Why do leaves change color? Who chewed that leaf? Use your nature detective skills to solve the mysteries of nature. MBG members $150/non-members $200.
- July 10-14. Around the Garden in 5 Days. 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. Ages 5-7. Discover new lands, as we travel to different areas of the Garden each day! Explore a world of fun with crafts, activities, and games. MBG members $150/non-members $200.
- July 10-14. I Heart Hooping Hoop Camp. 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. Ages 8-13.Go beyond waist-hooping by learning the weave, vortex, and other simple, flowing moves. Integrate the hoop into nature, science, gardening, and nutrition. Make beautiful take-home projects including your own hula hoop! Show off your moves at the end of the week for the big finale. MBG members $175/non-members $200.
- July 17-21. Nature Scene Investigators Camp. 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. Ages 8-10. Do vampire bats really drink blood? Are some plants really carnivores? Use your nature detective skills to solve the mysteries of nature. MBG members $150/non-members $200.
- July 24-28. Summer Skills Mini-Camps. 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Ages 8-12. These mini-camps focus on exploring outdoor or nature-related skills with our expert instructors! Activities will vary, so choose individual dates or join us for all five! Monday: Citizen Science Journaling. Tuesday: Photography in Nature. Wednesday: Hula Hoop Skills. Thursday: Enchanted Architecture for Fairies and Gnomes. Friday: Organic Gardening. MBG members $35 per day/non-members $40 per day.