In a city as vast and changing as Memphis, it can be hard to stay up on all of the awesome things happening around The Bluff City. To help keep you updated, here’s a list of what’s happening in the news:
- At long last, Trader Joe’s is said to be scouting out a new location in Germantown. According to some real estate buffs, one of the most likely options is the shopping center Carrefour at Kirby Woods (at Poplar Avenue and Kirby Parkway). Read more here thanks to the Memphis Business Journal. You can also follow this Facebook page for updates.
- Earnestine and Hazel’s, our most famous dive bar, is getting a new sister-restaurant called Hole in the Wall that will feature chef Kelly English. It will offer a menu of bar foods, cocktails, and music. Read more here thanks to the Memphis Business Journal.
- The well-known and loved Arcade Restaurant has some big plans in the works for next year. They have applied for a liquor license and will soon have night-time hours, serve cocktails, and possibly offer trivia nights and live music as well. Read more here thanks to the Memphis Magazine.
- Malco is working on building a new movie theatre in Cordova and it could have bowling lanes. Read more here thanks to the Memphis Business Journal.
- Our beloved Wiles-Smith Drug Store and Soda Shop has been on the verge of closing, but thanks to a mysterious partnership it may remain open and operate as just a Soda Shop (without the pharmacy, and with an expanded menu). Read more here thanks to the Memphis Flyer.
- Ugly Mug Coffee now has a new location open at Poplar and Perkins (in the old Poplar Perkin’ spot). They are one of the only locally-owned coffee shops with a drive-thru window. Their hours are Monday through Friday 6am-9pm, Saturday 7am-7pm, closed on Sundays. Read more here.
- Joe’s Wines and Liquors is opening their brand new growler station (hopefully) this week. Read more here.
- Love Pop Soda Shop is now open at 506 South Main. Check out their blinking Christmas tree window display. Every hour the lights will be a different color, and whatever color the light is at a certain time, that color of soda will be on sale during that time! (So when the lights are orange, all the orange sodas will be on sale, etc). The sales will continue through the new year. Read more here from the High Ground News.
What are you most excited about with these updates? Let us know in the comments!