The UTHSC Health Sciences Library is committed to providing outstanding service in the ever-changing environment of academic medicine, healthcare delivery, and biomedical research. We are currently expanding our team of energetic, service-oriented, and collaborative professionals in the Electronic & Collection Services (ECS) department. The Assessment and Research Data Librarian/Specialist will report to the Assistant Director for Electronic & Collection Services.
This is a 12-month, full-time, non-tenure track faculty appointment. Faculty rank will be at the level of Assistant Professor.
Salary is commensurate with education/experience. $60,000 minimum for the candidate with the required education and experience.
– Work in close collaboration with the Research Data and Scholarly Communications Lead to support UTHSC researchers in the areas of data management, data curation, data reuse and attribution, and data visualization.
– Collaborate with Library administration to design and implement quantitative and qualitative library assessments to identify user needs, demonstrate library impact, improve services, and inform decision-making related to the UTHSC Library strategic plan.
– Assist with collecting statistics and preparing reports for various accrediting organizations, such as AAHSL, ARL, IPEDS, etc.
– In partnership with other Library units, lead the creation of visualizations and strategies intended to communicate Library data, assessment results, and other related information to guide strategic decision making.
– Develop and maintain ongoing processes and tools for the collection, storage, and analysis of Library data.
– Support and provide training to users of Library tools, technologies, and database resources.
– Serve as an embedded/liaison librarian to specific academic colleges or departments.
– Participate and assist in the planning of library events for students and faculty.
– Participate in the development, implementation, and evaluation of Library services, policies, and procedures.
– Participate in professional activities and professional development.
– Develop and maintain appropriate Library LibGuides.
– Manage or assist with special projects.
– Accredited graduate degree in an appropriate discipline such as Library and Information Science, Data Science, or related area (degree must be awarded prior to start date).
– Strong analytical skills and experience with statistical analysis and research.
– Knowledge of technology tools, including mobile devices and web applications.
– Ability to manipulate and transform data from one format/type to another.
– Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
– Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment with a strong service orientation.
– Familiarity with current best practices and trends in research data management.
– Experience with Digital Commons (https://www.bepress.com/produ
– Experience with LibInsight (https://springshare.com/libin
– Bachelor’s degree in a science discipline.
– Preference will be given to candidates with a background in or an enthusiasm for the health or life sciences.
– Experience with life science database searching.
– Familiarity with medical vocabulary and evidence-based practice.
– Teaching experience.
For questions, please contact:
Jess Newman, Chair
Search Committee for Assessment and Research Data Librarian
Assistant Professor / Lead, Research Data and Scholarly Communications
Health Sciences Library
University of Tennessee Health Science Center
877 Madison Avenue
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone: (901) 448-3198
For additional information and the full job description, please visit the library’s Employment Opportunities page.
Review of applications will begin on November 23, 2020 and continue until position is filled. Start date is negotiable. A copy of official college transcripts verifying Master’s or terminal degree will be required prior to hire.
Applicants should have a demonstrated commitment to and knowledge of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action.
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center is the flagship statewide, public, academic health institution in Tennessee. Founded in 1911, the mission of the University of Tennessee Health Science Center is to improve the health and well-being of Tennesseans and the global community by fostering integrated, collaborative, and inclusive education, research, scientific discovery, clinical care, and public service. Employing more than 4,600 people on its faculty, staff, and not-for-profit corporation faculty practice groups, and with more than 3,200 students across the state, UTHSC contributes $4 billion to the economy of Tennessee.
Part of the University of Tennessee System, the Health Science Center is headquartered in Memphis and includes all six of UT’s doctoral-degree-granting health science colleges — Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Nursing, Graduate Health Sciences, and Health Professions. UTHSC spans the state with its four major, regional clinical health science locations in Memphis, Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Nashville, as well as more than 100 clinical education sites across Tennessee. UTHSC is the largest educator of health care professionals in the state and operates the state’s largest residency and fellowship advanced training programs.
Located in West Tennessee on the banks of the Mississippi River, Memphis is the second-largest city in the state and among the largest cities in the Southeast. The Greater Memphis metropolitan area has more than 1.3 million residents, and the city ranks among those with the lowest cost of living in the country. It is home to a vibrant restaurant scene, a revitalized Downtown, the Midtown Arts District, many scenic neighborhoods, an active medical district, and a burgeoning airport in the midst of a $214 million modernization.
Memphis boasts attractions, including Elvis Presley’s Graceland, the Memphis Grizzlies, historic Beale Street, the National Civil Rights Museum, the second-largest urban county park in the United States, and the Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest.