The Hub Hotel, a transitional home for women, is a program of the Hospitality Hub, a nonprofit serving homeless individuals. The Hub Hotel is located in Midtown Memphis.
About the Role
Women come to the Hub Hotel after living on the streets and stay until the appropriate next steps are identified and obtained. Women arrive at the Hub Hotel carrying potentially decades of trauma. The role of the Overnight Hospitality Specialist is to make the Hub Hotel the most productive, safe, clean, and healing environment possible during their shift.
Overnight Hospitality Specialists typically work from 11pm to 7am on weekdays and/or weekends but hours may shift depending on need.
The Hospitality Specialist is a vital member of the team caring for the Hub Hotel property, interior and exterior. The Hospitality Specialist must understand that the Hub Hotel is based on a trauma-informed palette and design model. Helping to maintain a clean and clutter-free environment is key to a trauma-informed setting. The Hospitality Specialist is vigilant about keeping the Hub Hotel working effectively and efficiently.
The Hospitality Specialist will support the Hub Hotel residents by communicating with compassion instilling motivation, not judgment. The Hospitality Specialist will know about all the services of the Hospitality Hub and understand that the Hub Hotel is part of a larger organization to serve all of Memphis’ homeless.
The Hub values the autonomy of each individual that we work with. It is imperative that the Hospitality Specialist engages our residents without judgment. Hospitality Specialists help create and maintain a Hub Hotel culture that is trauma-informed. They work with Client Pathway Coordinators to lower barriers and increase opportunities for Hotel guests.
The Hospitality Specialist must maintain a safe working environment for all participants addressing concerns and hazards immediately. The Hospitality Specialist meets with the Hospitality Manager to discuss upcoming shifts, goals, feedback. The Hospitality Specialist maintains a tidy and organized workspace stocked with essential supplies while ensuring that production and service run smoothly. The Hospitality Specialist has an opportunity to spend extended time with Hub clients. We encourage Hospitality Specialists to use that time to listen compassionately.
Everyone who works for the Hospitality Hub is required to know everything about Hub programs and encourage clients to engage with all relevant services in order to build a path out of homelessness. The Hospitality Specialist will follow all COVID-19 policies and procedures including the knowledge that staff carries a greater risk of infecting Hub Hotel residents than residents bring to staff.
– Communicates with the Hospitality Manager and the Client Pathways team to understand the goals of the Hub Hotel and each resident.
– Arrives on time for every assigned shift.
– Communicates directly to the Hospitality Manager or the Client Pathway Manager if you are delayed, ill or otherwise cannot meet their shift duties.
– Carries out with their team the day to day operations of the Hub Hotel.
– The Hospitality Specialist enforces Hub Hotel policies and procedures with residents ensuring the safety of all residents and staff.
– Ensures that shift checklists are completed each day.
– Drives as needed including taking residents to necessary appointments.
– Works with Client Pathway Specialists to ensure each resident progresses towards their own personal goals.
– Understands and ensures all residents follow all Hub safety protocols, including COVID-19 protocols.
– Fills out any data and shift reports in a timely manner.
– Communicates fully sharing resident and Hotel celebrations, concerns, next steps, etc. using the appropriate channels and tools.
– Resolves conflicts during shifts using de-escalation and mediation skills.
– Maintains a clean and clutter-free environment.
– Is involved in meal planning, distribution, and pick-up. This may include shopping for food or cooking meals for twenty plus people.
– In case of a participant complaint, fill out a form and report to the Hospitality Manager in the daily report and with a follow-up conversation.
– In case of an accident, fill out an accident/incident form and report to the Hospitality Manager in the daily report and with a follow-up conversation.
– Refers partner, funder and media requests or questions to the Hospitality Manager.
– Keeps residents safe, upbeat, and on task.
– Speaks positively about the program at all times to participants, funders, partners, and the general public.
– Instead of ignoring problems, the Hospitality Specialist is responsible for fixing or proposing solutions to problems as they arise.
– Report any issues with equipment or vehicles or supplies to the Hospitality Manager as soon as possible.
– Supports new residents with orientation and intake through HMIS.
– Must be available to work overnight from 11pm to 7am.
– Current Driver’s License
– Safe Driving Record and insurance
– Passion for creating a positive, safe, and encouraging environment for colleagues and residents
– The ability to meet the physical demands of the job, such as standing up for long hours and lifting heavy loads occasionally
– Works well within a team
– Leadership and conflict-management skills
– Compassionate listener and
– Capable of motivating others
– Basic computer and typing skills
– Capable and creative problem solver
– Experience using or willingness to learn and use the following:
– HMIS database
– GSuite (GMail, Google Docs, and Google Calendar)
– Previous experience as a Hospitality Specialist or similar role
– Experience with working with marginalized or vulnerable individuals
Training provided by The Hospitality Hub
– CPR/First Aid Certificate
– De-escalation and mediation training
– Reporting and data collection through HMIS ready tablets
– Training on Vulnerability Index (VI) in order to match clients to available Rapid Rehousing resources
– Training on all services offered by the Hospitality Hub, the Homeless Continuum of Care, and active partners and referral agencies
Starting wage $15/hour. Health benefits are available for all regular full-time employees.
Applications for this position are reviewed on a rolling basis. Therefore, we strongly encourage interested applicants to apply as soon as they are able.
The Hospitality Hub staff works with vulnerable populations. To maintain the health and safety of our clients and guests, we require that all individuals who are offered a position at The Hub must complete a background check, COVID and Tuberculosis test, and a drug test prior to their first day at work. Results of the background check, COVID, TB, and drug tests may not necessarily disqualify candidates from being hired.
The Hospitality Hub is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: The Hub is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at The Hub are based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, ancestry, military discharge status, source of income, housing status, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. The Hub will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. The Hub encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and people of all ages to apply.