This position is funded by a grant for a duration of time as defined by the grant.
Works as a member of the Shelby County COVID-19 Pandemic response team, an interdisciplinary team tasked with reducing and, in time, eradicating the pandemic in Shelby County. Primary strategy implemented by the nurse will be vaccine administration.
Pay Grade: 50H
1. Two (2) years of full-time generalized nursing experience; and AD/Diploma from an accredited School of Nursing; OR
2. BSN from an accredited program; and
3. Licensed as a PHN-RN in the state of Tennessee or compact state.
4. Community or corporate mass immunization experience preferred.
5. PROOF OF EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND/OR EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Assesses and monitors adults and children’s immunization status in accordance with Shelby County Health Department, Tennessee Department of Health, and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) protocols and medical safety standards.
2. Participates actively in COVID-19 related vaccination and other tasks required to reduce transmission of COVID-19 in Shelby County including, but not limited to, specimen collection, data entry, data analysis, patient interviews, contact tracing, and patient education.
3. Informs supervisor of barriers to delivery of immunization services.
4. Shares sensitive information to patients of diverse populations.
5. Completes relevant diagnostic tests and makes decisions guided by standards and protocols.
6. Responds to Health Department Operation Center (HDOC) as needed.
7. Assures conservation of county, state, and federal resources by monitoring inventory and assist in maintaining organization of stored medical supplies and medications as assigned.
8. Performs other related duties as required or directed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. General knowledge of the principles of public health nursing and ability to apply knowledge.
2. Knowledge of public health nursing broadly and infectious disease management specifically.
3. Knowledge of principles of population-level infectious disease management.
4. Ability to provide patient education.
5. Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities.
6. Ability to engage tactfully with the public and co-workers; exercise good judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions.
7. Ability to express ideas clearly, concisely and convincingly; and plan and direct the work of others.
Basic Physical Assessment course must be completed prior to completion of probation.
1. Must possess a valid, unrestricted Tennessee PHN-Registered Nurse License.
2. Must possess a valid Tennessee driver license or secure one upon date of employment.
3. Must have daily access to an operable automobile and meet county requirements for automobile insurance upon date of employment.
4. May be required to work extended hours, including weekends.
5. Must be available to work on-call during an event.
This position is subject to a background check for any convictions that have a substantial relationship to potential job duties. Only convictions that are substantially related to potential job duties will be considered and will not automatically disqualify the candidate.