Directs the administration of Human Resources (HR) policies and procedures for the Health Department by applying a comprehensive understanding of Human Resources laws, guidelines, and regulations to complex situations.
Rate of Pay: $4,872.33 Monthly – Salary Commensurate with Experience and Education
1. Five (5) years of professional level experience in human resources; and
2. Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business administration, public administration or closely related field; OR
3. An equivalent combination of related education and/or experience.
4. Experience working in government preferred.
5. PROOF OF EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND/OR EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Partners with management to understand and execute the department’s business plan particularly as it relates to current and future talent needs, recruitment, retention, and succession planning.
2. Manages the talent acquisition process, which may include recruiting, interviewing, and hiring of qualified job applicants.
3. Creates learning and development training programs and initiatives that provide internal development opportunities for employees.
4. Oversees employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and investigations.
5. Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices.
6. Prepares reports, analyses and other written communications to show progress, adverse trends, recommendations or conclusions. Develops and makes presentations to management.
7. Coaches and advises management on performance improvement plans and discipline procedures; consults on corrective actions, terminations, or other employment actions.
8. Recommends, plans and implements County and Health Department HR policies, programs, and practices.
9. Manages department events such as employee recognition events, service awards, community events, activity groups, etc.
10. Stays abreast of developments and trends in HR, including legislative and regulatory implication.
11. Supervises assigned human resources personnel. Serves as a mentor to promote professional practice among members of the HR team.
12. Performs other related duties as required or directed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
2. Strong analytical, problem-solving and research skills.
3. Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate when appropriate.
4. Thorough knowledge of human resources laws, rules, regulations, procedures and policies.
5. Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and HR software.
6. Ability to manage department operations in a cost efficient manner.
7. Ability to meet deadlines and strong attention to detail.
8. Ability to maintain confidential information and exercise discretion.
9. Ability to create a culture of engagement, collaboration and teamwork.
10. Thorough knowledge and skills necessary to analyze facts, identify problems, make conclusions, and recommend or take appropriate action.
1. Must possess a valid Tennessee driver license or secure one by date of employment.
2. Must have access to an operable automobile and meet the County requirements for automobile insurance upon date of employment.
3. Must be able to travel to other Shelby County offices.
This position is subject to a background check for any convictions that have a substantial relationship to potential job duties. Only convictions that are substantially related to potential job duties will be considered and will not automatically disqualify the candidate.