The Guest Services Assistant (GSA) provides outstanding guest service while operating in a key front-facing role at The Museum of Science and History (MoSH), Pink Palace. The GSA processes and sells museum admission and memberships, serves as first point of contact for guests during regular museum hours and special events, and consistently provides polite, knowledgeable, and attentive service. The GSA is part of a team responsible for supporting MoSH’s role as a leading regional Science & History museum by creating a welcoming, accessible, inclusive environment at the museum. The GSA works across the museum with a variety of constituencies including the general public, members, donors, VIPs, and staff.
• Communication skills
• Microsoft Office
• Customer service
Part-time $12 an hour
Essential Functions included, but are not limited to:
Consistently demonstrate a guest-first attitude by modeling exceptional customer service skills at all times. Anticipate and meet guest needs, including (but not limited to) selling admission and/or membership, sharing exhibition and program information, checking in guests for special events, greeting tours and groups, answering main museum phone line, responding to museum emails, providing transportation information, and more.
• Manage all admissions transactions (both paid and complimentary) in the museum box office.
• Handle and accurately balance cash/credit transactions utilizing a point of sale & ticketing/database constituent management system.
• Maintain conversational knowledge about the museum, exhibitions, memberships, programs, special events, and more.
• Openly share pertinent museum information and strategies for success with fellow Membership and Visitor Services Assistants.
• Actively promote, sell, and service MoSH memberships.
• Learn basic MoSH Shop functions and assist when needed.
• Heighten guest experience by providing Memphis travel and destination-related guidance as necessary.
• Apply creative problem solving ability to address guest concerns and respond to/note visitor complaints.
• Collect guest contact information for museum follow-up via email and/or direct mail.
• Ensure that all guest-facing materials are stocked and neatly presented, including brochures, gallery notes, and more.
• Support museum operations by providing administrative and/or event- and project-based support to other departments
• Thoroughly understand & support department & museum goals; model professionalism, passion, & productivity.
• Other duties as assigned.
Walk, bend, lift (up to 30 pounds) files, office supplies and electronic equipment. Close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading. Ability to hear in normal tones including telephone and face-to-face conversation.
• Preferred minimum of 2 years of customer service experience
• Flexible availability, including holidays, nights, and weekends
• Knowledgeable in standard computer applications and programs (MS suite, internet/email, file management)
• Passion for working with the public
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
• Demonstrated interest in arts and culture, community engagement, and/or museums
• Broad general knowledge and interest in the Memphis community and surrounding attractions
E-mail resume and cover letter including schedule availability to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only electronic resumes will be accepted. Qualified applicants will be contacted via e-mail.
Please note: ONLY Shelby County, TN residents can be considered for this position – no exceptions. The City of Memphis Charter requires that City Employees must reside within Shelby County. Proof of residence will be required at the time of hire.
Equal Opportunity Employer