The Director, Development will generate revenue through the development and sale of marketing partnerships for the Memphis Grizzlies and associated properties, including FedExForum, Grind City Media, Memphis Hustle (G League), and Grizz Gaming (NBA 2K League). This individual will identify key prospects, build a pipeline, and negotiate to close significant deals across multiple industries and businesses. By focusing on the client’s marketing objectives and business goals, the candidate will create high-value partnership packages that are customized, relevant, integrated, and flexible, and serve to affect the behaviors and perceptions of the client’s target markets.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Meet (and exceed) all personal revenue goals through the development and sale of marketing partnerships for the Memphis Grizzlies and associated properties.
- Manage all phases of the new and renewal business development process (identification, research, outreach, qualification, discovery, ideation, proposal, negotiation, and closing), collaborating with the activation team to maximize the opportunity for all prospects in their pipeline.
- Identify potential partners, initiate professional outreach, and qualify prospects to determine fit and capacity.
- Conduct a comprehensive needs analysis to diagnose the gap between the client’s current state and desired future state.
- Lead cross-departmental internal ideation sessions to create robust programming that leverages deep business insights to align with client objectives, communicate relevant brand attributes, and engage target markets.
- Construct creative, customized, themed and comprehensive proposals that follow a compelling narrative with a value proposition that delivers on a potential partner’s marketing objectives.
- Build a partnership business case for new prospects and current partners. This includes presentation building, scripting and pitching.
- Successfully negotiate and close marketing partnerships that will drive measurable results for partners, enhance the fan experience, and maximize revenue for the company.
- Use CRM with regularity to input contacts, track activities, build deal sheets and project revenue against personal goals.
- Collaborate with analytics team to optimally utilize audience and fan segmentation, lead generation and prospecting tools, sponsor impact studies, social media reporting, etc.
- Assist activation team in the planning, execution, and measurement of partnerships.
- Identify upsell opportunities amongst existing clients.
- Serve as a primary point of contact for prospective and existing partners.
- Host partners at a variety of events.
- Maintain office organization and assume other duties as assigned.
Required Skills, Experience & Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, advertising, or related discipline and/or sufficient work experience in the sports marketing/sales, advertising, and/or events industries.
- At least seven (7) years of experience with a proven track record of meeting (and exceeding) revenue goals in sports/brand marketing.
- Possess key character traits of empathy, entrepreneurial spirit, multi-track thinking and curiosity.
- High level of business acumen, creative problem-solving abilities, and professionalism.
- Strong presentation skills and experience creating and delivering executive-level presentations.
- Demonstrated organizational and logistics management capabilities.
- Experience using CRM and MS Office software.
- Capacity to work a varied schedule to include evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed, as well as multi-task in a fast-paced environment and willingness to travel.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written), relationship-building abilities, and attention to detail.
- Tremendous teamwork and collaborative spirit coupled with the ability to work independently.
- An endlessly positive attitude, openness to learning, superior work ethic, enthusiastic mindset, and self-starter mentality.