The Director of Development is responsible for successfully establishing, growing and maintaining a $1M fund development program for Las Americas. Candidates should have a proven track record in fund development and should be at ease with diverse communities as well as “managing up” to meet and exceed goals.
- Work with the board and executive director to create fundraising strategies and ensure these are timed for maximum impact.
- Manage all aspects of fundraising and outreach implementation, leading projects, preparing the Executive Director for personal solicitation, preparing written proposals, and making calls as necessary, ensuring appropriate and timely follow-up to meet annual fundraising goals.
- Research, identify, cultivate, solicit and steward new sources of financial support from individuals, corporations, faith community, and foundations.
- Initiate opportunities for the Executive Director and Board of Directors (when appropriate) to interact with corporate and foundation prospects and interpret corporate and foundation interests.
- Forge new relationships and maintain current relationships for positive visibility, impact and financial resources.
- Coordinate outreach programs and site visits to promote awareness, increase visibility, and encourage philanthropic support; recruit, train, and support volunteers as needed.
- Maintain comprehensive calendar of grant opportunities, deadlines, follow-up activity, and reporting requirements for grants awarded.
- Work collaboratively with Program Directors to prepare quality grant requests on-time and align with available opportunities.
- Maintain information on donors, prospects and volunteers in the LA database, ensuring the prompt and appropriate acknowledgement and accurate recording of all gifts and pledges.
- Oversee all gift acknowledgements and ensure they are timely, accurate, updated regularly, and in the database.
- Prepare written materials, including correspondence, solicitation materials, acknowledgements, and regular communications as part of the stewardship program.
- Support the Executive Director to be successful and a partner in the stewardship process.
- Build the constituent database for effective fundraising and ensure that it integrates with the communication platforms for ongoing communication to donors and prospects.
- Manage and maintain the constituent database including data entry, donation processing, gift acknowledgements, data extraction and reports and remain proficient on the software.
- Oversee the successful management of all data related to raising friends and funds and proactively ensure that data is accurate, thorough and that accounts have the information necessary to steward donors.
- Research prospects and create new accounts as necessary for the consistent growth of prospects and excellent donor-centered fundraising.
- Monitor all donations and grant information and provide statistics, analysis and reports to Executive Director and board of directors.
- Meet regularly with Executive Director to provide leadership on vision and strategy for resource development.
- Create a Major Gift Giving effort, Memphis Mañana, to move from dependency on a few donors to a broader donor base.
- Cultivate and grow relationships with existing and potential board members and leverage their time to develop strong relationships within the philanthropic community.
- Conduct tours and make presentations to community groups as appropriate.
- Actively pursue professional development through fundraising literature and participate in relevant seminars, classes and conferences.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills Required:
- Minimum of three to five years experience in fundraising or related field.
- Ability to interact with diverse groups of people and respect for all cultures and situations.
- Excellent communication skills; including writing, proofreading, digital platforms, and oral communication.
- Exceptional time management, project management, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work under pressure with many priorities and deadlines.
- Proven data management abilities including data processing and donor records maintenance.
- Proficient in Microsoft office and management of donor databases (Raiser’s Edge or E-Tapestry experience a plus).
- Fluency in Spanish a plus, but not required.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to: Greg Diaz, at email@example.com.