BLDG Memphis is a coalition of organizations and individuals who support the equitable redevelopment of healthy, vibrant, attractive, and economically sustainable neighborhoods throughout Memphis. BLDG Memphis drives investments in Memphis neighborhoods through building capacity in members, public policy, and civic engagement. The Capacity Building Specialist will support the Director of Capacity Building as follows.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
1. Capacity Building
– Arranging and maintaining a calendar of trainings/workshops, one-on-one coaching, access to expert real estate development advice, and access to professional development scholarships to build the capacity of CDC members to result in their progression to the next CAT level and on to certification.
– Coordinating forums for peer learning and networking on topics of interest to CDCs and their partners.
– Supporting the New City Builders program (a 6-month, hands-on learning experience) to increase the number of well-prepared and connected community development practitioners and board members
– Maintaining the volume and integrity of member information needed to provide aggregate data as requested by our members, partners and funders
– Developing formalized mechanisms to ensure we are regularly gaining input from members in order to represent them well.
RESPONSIBILITIES ALSO INCLUDE:
2. Advocacy & Activation
– Assisting in the development and promotion of original content useful to members and partners.
– Assisting in the organization of advocacy events and other forums to educate and engage residents, stakeholders, and public officials in community planning and development.
– Partnering with organizations such as ULI, NPI, and Community LIFT to develop engaging sessions for community development professionals (for-profit and nonprofit) to learn, discuss, and plan together.
– Identifying funding opportunities for CDC members through established and new fundraising platforms.
– Identifying leadership within public agencies, businesses and neighborhood associations supportive of CDC work in member service areas.
– Coordinating partnership opportunities among CDC leaders and other neighborhood organizations to enhance their ability to work together and serve their mutual interests for community empowerment.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
– 2 years of experience working in community development, nonprofit management, and/or organizational support.
– A Bachelor’s Degree is preferred, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
– Skilled in the use of database and other technology tools.
– Excellent professional and interpersonal communication skills, including writing and speaking.
– Ability to lead work and think critically as part of a fast-moving collaborative team.
– Adept at working with a diverse set of stakeholders, including neighborhood residents, nonprofit leaders, government officials, business leaders, and others.
– Annual salary of $45,000 plus competitive benefits package.
– Paid time off, holidays, and sick leave as per BLDG Memphis policy.
– Employer contribution to 401k retirement account (3% of base salary). Employee may designate additional contribution. Subject to a six-month waiting period.
– Employer-sponsored $25,000 life insurance policy.
– Access to employer-sponsored health plan, with 80% of employee-only premium paid by BLDG Memphis. Subject to a 60-day waiting period.
– Access to voluntary benefits including dental, vision, short- and long-disability insurance, flexible spending account, and life insurance, as attached.
– Employer-paid Employee Assistance Program.
– Professional development and training opportunities.
Interested candidates should send their resume accompanied by a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. BLDG Memphis strongly encourages candidates to review relevant documents available publicly, including but not limited to strategic plans and policy priorities.
WORKPLACE DIVERSITY & EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
BLDG Memphis cultivates a work environment that encourages fairness, teamwork, and respect among all employees. We are firmly committed to maintaining a work atmosphere in which people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles may grow personally and professionally.
BLDG Memphis is an equal opportunity employer. It is our strong belief that equal opportunity for all employees is central to the continuing success of our organization. We will not discriminate against an employee or applicant for employment because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, physical disabilities, political affiliation, sexual orientation, color, gender identity characteristics or expression, marital status, veteran status, or medical condition (for example, AIDS, ARC-related illness, or cancer) in hiring, promotion, demotion, training, benefits, transfers, layoffs, terminations, recommendations, rates of pay, or other forms of compensation. Opportunity is provided to all employees based on qualifications and job requirements.