The Buyer is responsible for negotiating and purchasing parts and materials need for the manufacturing of marine engines. This position issues purchase orders and maintains accurate inventory levels based on the production forecast and communicates regularly with vendors regarding pricing and delivery of items.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Responsible for purchasing and negotiating materials, equipment and supplies from vendors.
• Evaluates vendor quotes and services to determine most desirable suppliers.
• Issues purchase orders for all equipment, materials and supplies for the company.
• Communicates with vendors daily regarding delivery and pricing of product.
• Maintains a balanced inventory level with little or no shortages.
• Assists in maintaining contact with vendors, keeping informed of new products, market conditions and current prices; evaluating vendor performance.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• Proficiency with computers, including Microsoft Office Suite.
• Strong working knowledge of an MRP and EPR system; Experience with Infor software is preferred.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Must possess a friendly/positive attitude with the ability to create a good rapport with vendors.
• Good working knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices and procedures in a manufacturing/assembly environment.
• Ability to prioritize tasks as well as strong organizational skills.
• Must be a self-starter and use good judgment in all situations.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
1. High School graduate or GED.
2. Associate’s Degree is preferred.
3. Must have a minimum of 2 years’ experience in a buyer position preferably with manufacturing experience.
4. Knowledge of automotive parts and components is a plus.