Do you love animals and people? Are you someone who can relate to anyone and make people feel comfortable? Do you have a lot of social savvy and intuition? Does the idea of connecting donor passions and resources to save hundreds of animals per year excite you? If you’re ready to be part of a dynamic team making real and meaningful changes in the lives of people, pets, and our community, consider applying for the role of Director of Development at the Humane Society of Memphis and Shelby County (HSMSC).
HSMSC is looking for a development professional who is collaborative, hardworking, humble, and a great connector. The Director of Development will have the opportunity to grow a development program in a growing, dynamic organization. Strong communication skills and the ability to cultivate major donors and corporate partners a must.
Founded in 1933, HSMSC is the largest non-governmental animal welfare organization in Memphis & Shelby County, providing medical care, surgery, injury rehabilitation, training, adoption services, and a low-cost community clinic for pet owners in need. Animals in our care stay as long as they need to find loving homes and are never euthanized for the length of stay or time to heal. HSMSC does not receive regular funding from local, state, or federal governments, operating on donations from individuals, corporate partners, and foundations.
The Director of Development is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing the organization’s fundraising activities, including its major gifts program, annual fund, planned giving, special events, and future capital/endowment campaigns. This position reports directly to the Executive Director and works closely with the Board of Directors in all development and fundraising endeavors.
Responsibilities & Duties
• Responsible for the strategic direction, growth, and overall management of the development department; assures proper planning, including goal setting, strategy identification, benchmarking, and evaluation
• As a member of the senior management team, participates in organization-wide strategic planning and implementation
• Oversees and enhances ongoing donor cultivation, research, and recognition of individuals, corporations, and foundations
• Advances and stewards foundation, corporate and workplace-giving relationships
• Solicits gifts on behalf of HSMSC, both individually and in conjunction with the Executive Director, other staff, board members, and fundraising volunteers
• Develops, implements, and enhances financial development initiatives as outlined in HSMSC’s strategic plan such as the annual campaign, Friends of the Humane Society (monthly giving club), corporate partners campaign, and planned giving platform
• Active pursuit of opportunities for public appearances, presentations, and networking
• Identifies and researches prospective grantors, matching program needs and prospect’s interests
• Prepares letters of inquiry, proposals, acknowledgments, and reports for grants, donor-advised funds, corporate matching gifts, and solicited corporate support
• Schedules, tracks, and responds to grant funding timeline for proposal development, submission, and reporting
• In coordination with the Marketing Team, provides content and communications regarding HSMSC website, newsletters, press release and social media to promote area of responsibility and ensure compliance with grant requirements
• Supervises, guides, evaluates, and counsels department staff; encourages the professional growth of staff, and creates and evaluates staff goals and objectives
• Prepares and manages the development department annual budget; assures sound fiscal operation of the department, including timely, accurate, and comprehensive development of charitable income and expense budgets, reporting, monitoring, and implementation
• Assures that HSMSC staff are well-versed on the history, philosophy, programs, services, and current activities of HSMSC and can accurately and professionally articulate the same to donors and members of the public
• Informs the Executive Director on current trends, issues, challenges, and activities to facilitate policymaking
• Ensures that the fundraising database and donor tracking systems are accurate and complete; works with staff to continually expand functionality
• Ensures compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, maintains accountability standards to donors and ensures compliance with code of ethical principles and standards of professional conduct for fundraising executives
• Other duties as assigned
Experience & Qualifications
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Capital or Endowment Campaign experience preferred
• 5+ years experience in non-profit fundraising and community relations
• Proven ability to recruit major gifts/donors, raise private donations, develop and manage donor relationships, and motivate staff and volunteers
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of non-profit fund development; animal sheltering development a plus
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong interpersonal communication and public speaking skills
• Proven strategic planning and budgeting skills
• Proficient using Excel, Word, Salesforce, and email marketing software
• Capable of meeting deadlines
• Able to work a flexible schedule with regular weekend and evening activities
• Hold a valid Tennessee driver’s license and have an insurable driving record
• CFRE certification desirable
Full-time, exempt position. Annual salary range is $65,000 to $85,000, commensurate with experience. Full benefits including medical, dental, generous PTO, and holidays.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Ellen Zahariadis, Executive Director, via email at email@example.com. Resumes will be reviewed as they are received. The position will be open until it is filled.
The Humane Society of Memphis and Shelby County is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, physical disability, mental disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin or any other protected status.