Come and join our team! This is an exciting opportunity to work for a dynamic, growing organization dedicated to saving animal lives and improving human lives through animal companionship! We are passionate and dedicated to bringing people and companion animals together for a lifetime of love. Serving our community since 1933, The Humane Society of Memphis and Shelby County is a donor supported safe-haven for animals. If you love animals and people…you will feel right at home in our pack!
Adoption Counselors are the public face of the Humane Society of Memphis & Shelby County, setting the tone for our clients’ experiences in the adoption center. This position requires a person with flexibility, public relations skills, and a compassionate spirit. It is essential that the applicant have communication and organizational skills, computer knowledge and a sincere interest in serving both people and animals. The ideal candidate thrives on working collaboratively as part of a team, is willing to pitch in to help others, must be able to manage difficult or emotional customer situations, respond promptly to customer needs and solicit customer feedback to improve service.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1. Welcome guests with a warm and friendly demeanor
2. Answer incoming telephone calls and e-mails. Provide knowledgeable advice including answering questions regarding adoption services, fees, general HSMSC services and general animal welfare resources in Shelby County.
3. Assist and participate in the adoption process, including: (1) proactively assisting prospective owners in the selection of animals while promoting the animals to the adopting public, (2) preparing and processing adoption application and contracts, (3) advising new owners of HSMSC contractual requirements, including future medical care and return policy, (4) contacting adopters to follow up with them following adoption and providing supportive resources and counseling as appropriate.
4. Accept and process payments – accurately process cash, checks, and credit card payments.
5. Educate the public on proper animal handling techniques, basic medical care and training options.
6. Handling both dogs and cats in a variety of situations including but not limited to moving animals and introducing them to new people and animals.
7. Maintain a familiarity with all shelter animals including animals available for adoption in foster care.
8. Assist with off-site adoption events.
9. Writing appropriate animal bios.
10. Compile daily records required by HSMSC Business Manager through use of PetPoint software.
11. Participate in customer service, animal handling and other seminars as assigned.
12. Maintain a clean and organized environment including sweeping, mopping, glass cleaning, and other light duties in the adoption center lobby, desks, and public bathrooms.
13. Maintain a professional, courteous demeanor with clients, volunteers and employees at all times.
14. Must be able to learn and promote the policies and procedures for responsible pet ownership as outlined by the Humane Society of Memphis & Shelby County.
QUALIFICATIONS and REQUIREMENTS:
1. High School diploma required and must be 18 years of age.
2. Previous customer service and/or public relations experience preferred.
3. Must be a team player but also able to handle difficult situations independently.
4. Must have animal handling experience. Must be comfortable handling dogs and cats of varying size, age, breed, and temperament.
5. Must have a basic knowledge of animal behavior issues and general understanding of animal health-related concerns.
6. Must be able to learn to read and interpret basic animal medical records and be able to explain those to potential adopters.
7. Must possess excellent communication skills, interpersonal skills, computer literacy, organizational ability and time management skills.
8. Must have access to dependable transportation and openness to local travel.
9. Must be able to work flexible hours including weekends and holidays. Organization cares for animals 365 days a year, which requires individuals to work evenings, weekends, holidays and/or special events outside of normal work hours.
10. Must be able to work special events including, but not limited to Tour for Life, Adoptathon, Fast and Furriest, Walk for the Animals, and Paw Prints.
This is a full-time (40 hrs per week), non-exempt position with an hourly wage of $9.00 per hour. HSMSC offers attractive benefits, including generous PTO, holidays, and discounted services.
Note that this position description is not intended, and should not be construed to be, an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended, however, to be an accurate summary of those principal job elements. This position may be required to perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
To apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to Sarah Siskin, Adoptions Manager, via email at email@example.com. Resumes are reviewed as they are received. The position is open until it is filled. No phone calls please.
The Humane Society of Memphis and Shelby County is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, physical disability, mental disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin or any other protected status.