The Commercial & Industrial/Specialty Loan Closing Officer position is a specialized position responsible for providing a thorough review of the credit agreement, credit approval and credit analysis, and all supporting documentation provided across a range of different industries and market conditions to ensure borrowers, guarantors, collateral and approved terms and structure are adequately supported and reflective in the legal loan documentation. This position is expected to own and lead the commercial & industrial/specialty loan delivery process, including new money transactions, modifications, legal documentation and overall management of assigned credits while also recommending structure changes based on legal documentation reviewed.
This position ensures collateral is perfected, legal documentation supports credit approval, and all risk controls have been met in order to approve to proceed to formal execution of closing documentation. This position specializes in a wide range of middle market commercial and wholesale transactions to include real estate, C&I, asset based lending, correspondent banking, specialty healthcare, franchise finance, and others commercial groups.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Act as a leader in facilitating the completion of the end to end credit process; and provide individual authority to proceed/stop closing process due to collateral or documentation requirements not met.
• Ability to manage complex transactions and contribute independently in meetings and conversations with legal counsel and maintain high level dialogue with company management and borrower representation.
• Lead the loan documentation process for both new complex transactions and modifications through in depth interpretation of legal documentation to identify what is being originated/modified or extended.
• Independently identify and recommend changes to existing collateral structure to achieve greater lien perfection and controls.
• Interpret and decipher related state statutes/laws to predict changes/impacts to collateral perfection, legal requirements, closing needs and legal documentation for proceed/stop for closing.
• Possess a thorough understanding of affected federal regulations to advise on additional items in order to remain compliant.
• Provide primary support and partnership to Relationship Managers (RM) and Portfolio Managers (PM) to ensure the transaction maintains strong quality, while facilitating risk control measures for the Bank.
• Works closely with senior management, RMs, PMs, Credit Risk, Compliance and Internal Audit partners to ensure that the credit remains in compliance with Bank and regulatory policies; ultimately responsible for ensuring loan collateral is appropriately assessed, perfected, risk managed and coded in accordance with bank policies and regulatory
• Coordinates interactions with the RM, PM and inside and/or outside legal counsel to ensure that all credit approval terms and conditions are appropriately represented in the closing documents and any exceptions prior to closing are properly documented.
Requirements Education and/or Work Experience Requirements
-Three to Five years of direct experience in commercial lending and documentation
– High school diploma or GED and 5-7 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
*Location can be remote