Reports to: Vice President of Planning & Development
Downtown Memphis Commission (DMC), the organization charged with making Downtown a better place to live, work, learn, play and invest, is seeking a Development Project Manager to manage the Downtown design review process and administer financial incentive programs to support investment and development in Downtown Memphis. The Development Project Manager will join the DMC’s 4-person Planning & Development team responsible for the redevelopment & economic growth of Downtown Memphis. This department conducts neighborhood revitalization planning and administers financial incentives to improve Downtown’s built environment, actively recruits new businesses, facilitates development, provides design review, and supports development projects though site identification and land acquisition.
Job Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
The Development Project Manager provides primary staff support to the Design Review Board (DRB) in its work to encourage high-quality architecture, urban design, and development in Downtown Memphis. The position also provides staff support for the Downtown Memphis Commission (DMC) Board of Directors, Center City Revenue Finance Corporation (CCRFC), Center City Development Corporation (CCDC), and the Downtown Mobility Authority (DMA) in their efforts to facilitate economic development and investment in Downtown Memphis.
The position requires attention to detail, strong analytical skills, and excellent communication skills, both speaking and writing. Typical duties involve reviewing and evaluating design applications for new construction, building renovation, and exterior signage. The Development Project Manager directs pre-application meetings, writes analytical staff reports, and presents projects for consideration at monthly board meetings. The selected candidate will create and administer economic development tools and incentives, including loans and grants for commercial development. The Development Project Manager will also work as part of a team to assist with Downtown planning initiatives including land use and zoning, urban design, streetscape programs, sub-area plans, retail strategy, anti-blight, and special projects.
Within six months of employment, the selected candidate must reside within Memphis and/or Shelby County, Tennessee.
- Enthusiastic advocate for Downtown Memphis
- Creative problem-solver with the ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently
- Knowledge of architecture and urban design, community planning, and economic development
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, with strong skills in Excel, Access, Word, and PowerPoint
- Ability to read and understand architectural and engineering drawings such as site plans, floor plans, and building elevations
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, planning, real estate, urban studies, or a related field
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in architecture, urban design, planning, commercial real estate, community development, or additional, related graduate/professional level education
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; effective public-speaking is a must
- Ability to work and speak with diverse groups of people
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Experience communicating design ideas using AutoCAD, SketchUp, or similar visualization tools desired
- Experience using Geographic Information System (GIS) software is a plus
Position salary range is dependent on qualifications and experience.
APPLY: Please submit a current resume and cover letter to “Development Project Manager, Hiring Manager,” c/o Christine Taylor, DMC Office Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org