Crosstown Arts is a contemporary arts center that provides state-of-the-art performance and exhibition spaces, professional art-making facilities, a multidisciplinary artist residency program, and diverse education opportunities as well as managing and operating a cafe and bar. Crosstown Arts is the creative anchor within Crosstown Concourse, a one-millionsquare-foot adaptive reuse of the historic Sears building, constructed in 1927 and once a major distribution center and retail store for Sears, Roebuck & Co in Memphis,Tennessee. The Crosstown Concourse complex is a one-of-a-kind vertical urban village with a strong emphasis on arts, education, and healthcare, including a charter high school for arts and sciences; graduate programs in education, health, and wellness institutions; a grocery store and marketplace; commercial and office space; and a diverse range of residential living options.
The mission of Crosstown Arts is to further cultivate the creative community in Memphis by providing resources and opportunities to inspire and support diverse and far-reaching audiences. Crosstown Arts manages a variety of spaces and programs within Crosstown Concourse that integrate exhibition, performance, production, retail, and education. This commitment to a collective vision, collaboration, and sharing of resources unites the programming, spaces, tenants, and services of Crosstown Arts and Crosstown Concourse and ultimately benefits the neighboring community and the city at large.
The Graphic Designer is responsible for the visual aspects, graphic assets, and production needs of marketing materials, websites, social media, and other media for Crosstown Concourse and all aspects of Crosstown Arts. This includes event-specific collateral, advertising layout, email templates, social media assets, wayfinding signage, informational brochures, PowerPoint presentations, and other graphic design needs. The position reports directly to the Crosstown Arts Marketing Manager and Communications Coordinator. The Graphic Designer will work with the marketing and communications team to design and manage production of collateral and signage for campaigns as developed by the marketing team. This position will require the Graphic Designer to be on-site at Crosstown Concourse during working hours. Freelance work will not be allowed during working hours. A collaborative nature, great organizational skills, self-motivation, the ability to multitask, and an openness to constructive feedback are a must. The position requires mastery of design software, such as Adobe Creative Suite including Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop. The candidate must also have a basic understanding of WordPress and Squarespace, and social media asset formatting. Preference may be given to candidates with previous experience in and a passion for the arts.
- Work closely with the Marketing Manager and Communications Coordinator to develop graphic assets for marketing materials (digital, print, broadcast, email, etc.) that creatively represent the uniqueness, quality, and variety of experiences at Crosstown Arts and Concourse
- Ensure that graphic design reflects the sensibilities and messaging of any given campaign, while also staying on brand and following brand guidelines
- Put together disparate elements of design created by another professional, such as logos, photographs, and other branding elements
- Design and assist in maintaining Crosstown Arts and Concourse social media platforms
- Design and update templates (email, Formstack, web pages, marketing campaigns, wayfinding signage, etc.)
- 5+ years of experience in a full-time professional graphic design position
- Mastery of Adobe Creative Suite including Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop
- Mastery of print production requirements
- Must understand design production, from signage to collateral to media print
- Must be proficient in all aspects of layout
- Must be familiar with social media platform design requirements and functions (Facebook, Vimeo, Twitter, Instagram, and others)
- Must have experience using templates from production and service vendors
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office
- Adaptable and flexible. Ability and willingness to accommodate ongoing modifications to all tasks and projects, including regular interruptions to workflow and changing of plans.
- Collaborative. Ability to collaborate, give and take feedback, and manage a high volume of correspondence in all forms of communication with Crosstown Arts staff and Crosstown Concourse management team and tenants.
- Receptive. Ability to absorb and apply constructive criticism.
- Excellent time-management skills. Ability to respect deadlines at all costs
- Creative. Ability to generate a variety of unique ideas based on direction from the marketing team.
- Even-tempered disposition. Ability to work under pressure in a composed, focused, affable, and courteous manner.
- Enthusiastic, energetic, and positive. Ability to sustain an ongoing spirit of positivity in high-pressure and demanding situations.
- Strategic and organized. Ability to prioritize, manage a high volume of information and tasks and keep multiple projects on track simultaneously, at varying levels of completion.
- Focused. Ability to accept and execute a wide range of tasks necessary to complete projects, including basic tasks as well as highly detailed directives, regardless of scale.
- Detail-oriented. Ability to sustain close attention to an ongoing set of constantly emerging details unique to each design request.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION This is a salaried, full-time position eligible for all Crosstown Arts’ benefits (including health insurance, PTO, Church Health YMCA membership, etc.). Salary will be competitive and commensurate with level of experience and skill.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter, resume, portfolio, and three (3) references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Prospective candidates must present a portfolio of work reflecting the designer’s style and ability to represent various client styles.