BLDG Memphis is a membership organization specifically designed to support community development corporations (CDCs) and the community development industry. Our mission: BLDG Memphis drives investments in Memphis neighborhoods through building capacity in members, public policy, and civic engagement. Read more in our 2020-2023 Strategic Plan.
BLDG Memphis’ Executive Director serves as bridge builder, facilitator, and communicator, leading collaborative and catalytic work with members, partners, and community leaders across the city. Executive responsibilities include oversight of the organization’s operations, staff management, ensuring the successful implementation of programs, and organizational sustainability.
BLDG Memphis seeks an experienced executive with strengths in organizational development, civic engagement, and team leadership to continue and strengthen our work supporting the community development sector.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES AND OBJECTIVES
1) Successful Strategy
• Work with the Board of Directors to set the strategic direction for the organization, and periodically update the strategic plan
• Develop and implement an annual work plan that supports the goals and objectives laid out in the strategic plan
2) Innovative, Responsive, and Effective Programs
• Work with staff to design innovative initiatives and content based upon input from members and other constituents, industry research, and best practices
• Facilitate and develop strategic partnerships that increase our ability to scale programmatic offerings and resources for greater impact
3) Stakeholder Relationships and Collaboration
• Work with staff to recruit and retain a strong membership network, including community development corporations as well as public, private, and nonprofit sector organizations whose missions are aligned with that of BLDG Memphis
• Maintain strong relationships with existing community partners, and seek opportunities to build the partner network
4) Communications and Awareness
• Represent the interests of BLDG Memphis and its members in a variety of public venues, including the media, community task forces, and meetings with elected officials
• Powerfully communicate the vision and value of the organization and its members to all current and potential constituents and stakeholders
5) Effective Resource Development
• Work with the Board of Directors and staff to ensure that the organization has sufficient financial and human resources to implement its work plan
• Maintain and grow existing funder relationships, including regular funding requests and reports, new funding opportunities, and individual donors
6) Financial & Human Resource Management
• Work with the Board of Directors and staff to create and adopt an annual budget, provide regular reporting, and manage the organization’s funds responsibly and ethically
• Recruit, hire, and manage staff, including annual performance evaluations, and outside contractors, including the accountant and audit firm
7) Strong Governance
• Serve as staff to the Board of Directors, its officers, and its committees, including arranging meetings, preparing agendas, etc.
• Support the Board of Directors in recruitment and board development efforts
• Provide consistent reporting to the Board of Directors on organizational finances, achievements, and effectiveness
The ideal candidate will have the following experience, education, professional knowledge, skills, and personal attributes.• Demonstrated interest in and commitment to community development, neighborhood reinvestment, and the organizational values of BLDG Memphis
• 5+ years’ experience in a senior management or leadership position in community development and/or nonprofit management
• Graduate degree in Urban Planning, Nonprofit Administration, or similar field preferred. Comparable professional experience may meet this requirement
• Experience and comfort working with a diverse set of stakeholders, including neighborhood residents, nonprofit leaders, government leaders and staff, and others
• Strong communication skills (both written and verbal) including well-honed writing and editing skills for the development of both internal and external communications, reports, case studies, grant applications, and other documents
• Experience hiring, managing and developing talented staff
• Ability to successfully lead collaborative efforts toward common goals, comprised of diverse stakeholders groups with sometimes competing or divergent interests
• Experience in departmental and/or organizational financial management including development and management of budgets
• Experience in program design, development, management and evaluation
• Experience in developing, monitoring, and pursuing a policy/advocacy program
• Knowledge of a broad range of relevant community-based organizations, industry best practices and relevant issue areas
The salary range for this position is $67,000 to $75,000, based on experience and qualification. The base salary is augmented with professional development opportunities and a competitive benefits package offered through Adams Keegan including:
• Paid time off, holidays, and sick leave as per BLDG Memphis policy.
• Automatic employer contribution to 401k retirement account (3% of base salary). Employee may designate additional contribution. Subject to a six-month waiting period.
• Employer-sponsored $25,000 life insurance policy.
• Access to employer-sponsored health plan, with 80% of employee-only premium paid by BLDG Memphis. Subject to a 60-day waiting period.
• Access to voluntary benefits including dental, vision, short- and long-term disability insurance, flexible spending account, and life insurance.
• Employer-paid Employee Assistance Program.
To be considered for this opportunity, please email a cover letter and resume detailing your qualifications, experience, and interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. The board of directors seeks to have the ideal candidate in place by December 2020, and encourages those interested to apply as early as possible.
WORKPLACE DIVERSITY & EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
BLDG Memphis cultivates a work environment that encourages fairness, teamwork, and respect among all employees. We are firmly committed to maintaining a work atmosphere in which people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles may grow personally and professionally.
BLDG Memphis is an equal opportunity employer. It is our strong belief that equal opportunity for all employees is central to the continuing success of our organization. We will not discriminate against an employee or applicant for employment because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, physical disabilities, political affiliation, sexual orientation, color, gender identity characteristics or expression, marital status, veteran status, or medical condition (for example, AIDS, ARC-related illness, or cancer) in hiring, promotion, demotion, training, benefits, transfers, layoffs, terminations, recommendations, rates of pay, or other forms of compensation. Opportunity is provided to all employees based on qualifications and job requirements.
To apply: please email a cover letter and resume detailing your qualifications, experience, and interest in the position to email@example.com.