BLDG Memphis is a coalition of organizations and individuals who support the equitable redevelopment of healthy, vibrant, attractive, and economically sustainable neighborhoods throughout Memphis. BLDG Memphis drives investments in Memphis neighborhoods through building capacity in members, public policy, and civic engagement. The Advocacy Specialist will support the Director of Advocacy as follows.
1. Capacity Building – Represent the voices of our members at dialogue and decision- making tables.
– Set priorities, milestones, and secure funding for community development by engaging with Shared Prosperity and other community initiatives.
– Ensure we are consistently gaining input from members in order to represent them well by developing formalized mechanisms.
– Ensure that local community development priorities are on the agenda by developing resources needed to add capacity for representing BLDG Memphis in local and state legislative bodies.
– Advance the priorities of the BLDG Memphis Policy Committee through meeting
coordination, research, community engagement, and recruitment and orientation of new committee members.
– Support specific public policy targets such as securing additional dedicated funding for the Memphis Affordable Housing Trust Fund.
– Build partnership with aligned organizations to promote collaborative work and raise the profile of community development professionals.
– Manage a platform tracking progress and impact, including elected officials’ stances and voting records on issues important to the local community development industry.
– Organize Pizza with Planners, book club, and other forums to educate and engage residents, stakeholders, and public officials in community planning and development.
– Establish a transparent process for creating small area plans that will guide public investment in community anchors through work with public agencies.
– Identify leadership within public agencies supportive of community-led quick-build projects, in partnership with members and others.
– Lead grant-funded community engagement projects, such as BLDG Memphis’ 2020 Pedestrian Safety Campaign, by scheduling and planning training events and handling associated logistics.
– Provide coordination support for BLDG Memphis-convened learning cohorts such as the Memphis Housing Counseling Network and Memphis & Shelby County Healthy Homes Partnership.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
– 2 years of experience working in public policy advocacy, planning and development, and/or community engagement.
– A Bachelor’s Degree is preferred, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
– Excellent communication skills, including writing and public speaking.
– Comfortable learning and using technology tools.
– The ability to lead work and think critically as part of a collaborative team.
– Adept at working with a diverse set of stakeholders, including neighborhood residents, nonprofit leaders, government officials, business leaders, and others.
– Annual salary of $45,000 plus competitive benefits package.
– Paid time off, holidays, and sick leave as per BLDG Memphis policy.
– Employer contribution to 401k retirement account (3% of base salary). Employee may designate additional contribution. Subject to a six-month
– Employer-sponsored $25,000 life insurance policy.
– Access to employer-sponsored health plan, with 80% of employee-only premium paid by BLDG Memphis. Subject to a 60-day waiting period.
– Access to voluntary benefits including dental, vision, short- and long-disability insurance, flexible spending account, and life insurance, as attached.
– Employer-paid Employee Assistance Program.
– Professional development and training opportunities.
Interested candidates should send their resume accompanied by a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. BLDG Memphis strongly encourages candidates to review relevant documents available publicly, including but not limited to strategic plans and policy priorities.
WORKPLACE DIVERSITY & EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
BLDG Memphis cultivates a work environment that encourages fairness, teamwork, and respect among all employees. We are firmly committed to maintaining a work atmosphere in which people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles may grow personally and professionally.
BLDG Memphis is an equal opportunity employer. It is our strong belief that equal opportunity for all employees is central to the continuing success of our organization. We will not discriminate against an employee or applicant for employment because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, physical disabilities, political affiliation, sexual orientation, color, gender identity characteristics or expression, marital status, veteran status, or medical condition (for example, AIDS, ARC-related illness, or cancer) in hiring, promotion, demotion, training, benefits, transfers, layoffs, terminations, recommendations, rates of pay, or other forms of compensation. Opportunity is provided to all employees based on qualifications and job requirements.