Are you a local high school student with an idea that could better our beloved Bluff City? We’re taking to the web with LITE Memphis in search of those talented teens who’ve dreamed up innovative ways to move Memphis forward. The first-ever LITE Memphis Virtual Pitch Competition kicks off April 15th, and we’re here to tell you why you should participate.
Heading into its 6th year of operation, LITE (Let’s Innovate Through Education) has helped over 90% of their students launch projects throughout the city. From all-natural, gender-neutral body care products and vegetarian meal kit subscription services to repurposing vintage dresses into more modern attire, LITE students have been putting their entrepreneurial skills to work—and now it’s time for ALL local students to do the same!
“LITE Memphis is committed to being a ray of hope for youth all over our great city during this time of uncertainty,” said Lakeithia Glenn, LITE Memphis Executive Director. “We are inviting ALL public, private and homeschool high school students to join us for our very first Virtual Pitch Competition with Choose901. The goal of this event is to bring us all together with a renewed hope and understanding that we will get through the COVID-19 pandemic together.”
Are you a local teen or do you know a local teen who’s got an idea that’s been brewing? Because if you think it’s hot and ready to be served, why not give Memphis a little taste!
Here’s how the LITE Virtual Pitch Competition is going down:
- Contest starts: April 15th
- Submissions close: April 29th
- Voting begins May 1st via LITE’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Voting ends May 4th
To qualify, you must:
- Must live in Memphis / Shelby County
- Must be high school aged (14-18)
- If you are an Innovation Fellow (LITE alumni) you cannot pitch idea used in Finalist Program
What you have to do:
- Use your Memphis #GritandGrind mindset to come up with a product or service that you think will make MEMPHIS better. Create a 1-2 minute video pitch in which you tell an audience about your product or service, and why we need it in our lives.
- Once you’ve filmed your video, complete the application, and submit your video via GoogleForms by April 29th at 11:59CT. You will receive an email indicating the receipt of your submission, and will receive follow up as needed.
- Never pitched an idea before? Don’t worry! We were all beginners once upon a time. Use the model below to understand the flow of a good pitch, and take a look at the pitch ideas if you need some inspiration.
- Pitch ideas:
- How can you make Memphis better?
- What is something you wish you had during COVID 19?
- Special emphasis on ‘Stay at Home’ ideas
- Pitch ideas:
How you win:
The submissions will be evaluated by our judges and the three highest scoring pitches will be uploaded to our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts on May 1st. The winner will be selected by popular vote – every like/reaction and share/retweet counts as one vote. Voting will be open until May 4th at 5 PM CT. The winner will be featured in a Choose901 article, and will receive $100 worth of merch. The two runner ups will each receive one Choose901 tee.