United Way of the Mid-South is a multi-million-dollar non-profit, public charitable foundation that mobilizes financial and human resources, across 8-counties, to meet critical needs and to help ensure that hundreds of thousands of Mid-Southerners can achieve their highest potential. We support high-performing nonprofit agencies that are on the front lines fighting to decrease poverty in our community by addressing the essential building blocks for success – education, financial stability, and health – while maintaining vital safety net services in food, shelter, and safety for individuals facing crisis situations. By joining United Way of the Mid-South, you are uniting with a team that is moving the needle on poverty and making our community a place where everyone can thrive.
The Brand Designer, Creative Services is responsible for the strategic development, production and maintenance of a wide range of collateral, including our website, and various media outlets. This position will report to the Associate Director, Creative Services and will serve as primary point person for UWMS’ visual content and campaigns connected to the organization; design projects from concept to delivery including developing and designing core UWMS graphics, logos, event materials, etc. The ideal candidate is a proactive individual with well-developed critical thinking skills who is able to process, react to, and solve problems in a timely manner as they arise. Must be a motivated team player with confident communication skills who can work with some autonomy but also able to incorporate external creative direction.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Work within the Communications, Marketing and Engagement team to manage brand standards across all platforms including print, website, video, email, mobile communications, social media, pitch decks, one-pagers, case studies, infographics, social media assets, email templates, and more.
● Work closely with the Marketing team to understand objectives and create designs that achieve desired results. Participate in developing the strategic marketing plans and decisions for United Way by sharing knowledge and experience of marketing, advertising and design.
● Coordinate with other departments within the company to ensure that all branding and marketing initiatives are aligned.
● Develop conceptual creative work and handle all aspects of production, including final file preparation. Experience with composition techniques in producing polished final pieces.
● Monitoring industry trends to stay up-to-date on the latest design techniques and styles; web and technology trends.
● Prepare images to align with branding guidelines and social expectations.
● Collateral updates and version control.
● Assist with photography and video production (shooting, editing, etc.).
● Provide support services for Associate Director, Creative Services.
● Visually plan the social media calendar for all UWMS social channels by developing rich media graphics, photos, and videos.
● Experience with tradeshow and event branding.
● Provide content, photography and brand support for uwmidsouth.org while maintaining communication with team members and supervisors concerning the effectiveness of the website.
● General understanding of UX/UI human-centered design.
● Perform routine site audits, as well as ongoing maintenance, on an as-needed basis of the website.
● Bachelor’s degree (B.A./BFA); preferred concentration: Graphic Design, Marketing, Visual Communications, Digital Design, Visual Studies, UX/UI design.
● 5+ years of professional experience in graphic design or a related field (agency experience preferred).
● Strong portfolio of work demonstrating creative thinking, collaboration, executional excellence across a variety of mediums (print, digital), and original creations.
● Photo/video editing skills preferred.
● Superb aesthetic skills, interpersonal & communication skills and demeanor; team player with stellar verbal, written, and listening skills; excellent spelling, grammar and proofreading skills.
● Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace, Adobe Creative Suite.
● Knowledge of WordPress, HTML & CSS, SEO/SEM preferred, UX and UI.
● High sense of urgency; quick and efficient learner; thrives in a fast-paced environment.
● Effective organization and time-management skills with the ability to work in high-pressure situations.
● Ability to work independently and complete assigned tasks within identified timeframes while managing multiple projects, as well as collaboratively working with leaders of other areas to achieve common goals; working as part of a multidisciplinary team.
● Ability to think creatively and provide marketable solutions in concept, development, and production of communication materials.
● Ability to produce promotional materials in-house, including installation, cutting, measuring and mounting productions.
● Bi-lingual in Spanish and English is a plus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and/or hear. The employee is frequently required to use finger and hand motion and occasionally to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds and occasionally carry, lift, setup and/or move up to 40 pounds. There may be additional physical requirements associated with volunteer events. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
United Way of the Mid-South is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. This nondiscrimination policy extends to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment as well as the use of all company facilities, participation in all company-sponsored activities, and all employment actions. United Way of the Mid-South will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship. United Way of the Mid-South is committed to demonstrating diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workplace and community. We value the unique skills and contributions of each individual and believe in the power of collective leadership, accountability and unity.
Flexible hours are required as job duties demand. Must have a valid Driver’s License, car insurance, and reliable transportation. Must have a personal cell phone to communicate outside of the office.
*Current work environment is hybrid with some remote/work from home.
Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
● Knowledgeable: Competent utilizing the tools, technology, and materials relevant to Graphic Design. Able to create visual solutions through the use of composition, typography, color, images, and aesthetics. Working knowledge and understanding the principles and standards of good typography.
● Communications Proficiency: Able to communicate effectively in both verbal and written form and to recognize and solve visual communication problems. Can communicate a descriptive and critical articulation of their design intentions.
● Contextual Awareness, Analytical Proficiency: Able to embody multiple perspectives and develop a worldview informed by multicultural and global perspectives. Critically evaluate their work and the work of other professionals in an informed and insightful manner.
● Professional Business Practice: An understanding of the planning processes, organizational skills, and management of working with teams. The ability to collaborate within an interdisciplinary setting, prepare and present work in a professional manner. Initiative to access resources and tutorials to learn new tools and techniques; to solve problems; to exhibit an understanding of research methods.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES:
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
United Way of the MidSouth