Reports to: Technical Director
FLSA Status: Full Time; Exempt
Minimum Salary: $43,000
At the Orpheum Theatre Group, you will find amazing talent on our stages and throughout our dedicated staff. We are committed to serving the Mid-South through our nonprofit mission, which includes our numerous education and community engagement programs and our commitment to equity and diversity. Our Orpheum Theatre Group team is dynamic, creative, innovative, and community-minded, and we are ready to welcome you!
The Production Manager is mainly responsible for the technical operations of the Theatre, Board Room, Rehearsal Hall, Dance Studio and Classroom equipment for the Halloran Centre. This includes lighting, sound, video, scenery, projections, smartboard and all multi-media.
This role will work collaboratively with the Production Team to ensure all aspects of the of the Orpheum Theatre Group’s technical operations in both the Halloran Centre and Orpheum Theatre run smoothly and safely.
How You Will Contribute
• Communicates with VP of Operations for the Halloran Centre, Halloran Centre Sales Manager and/or VP of Education and Community Engagement on the technical rider to determine lighting, audio, equipment and other stage and set-up requirements.
• Coordinate and advance technical requirements for productions within the Halloran Centre.
• Set up and operate technical equipment (i.e., lighting, AV, projection) for performances and events at the Halloran Centre. Assist guest designers and engineers as needed.
• Order and track supplemental gear for shows as needed.
• Operate, maintain, and safeguard the technical assets, including supervising the use of lighting, sound, communications equipment, and the use and maintenance of stage facilities.
• Orient renters and visiting productions on safety, technical characteristics, and other areas of technical operations within the theatre.
• Supervise additional labor that may be required to maintain the quality control of the productions.
• Assist in training and assignment of volunteer or paid technical staff for individual shows.
• Maintain inventory and ordering of specialized supplies.
• Make recommendations to theatre leadership regarding capital purchases and upgrades of technical equipment.
• Accommodate building HVAC adjustments for client comfort.
• Partner with Education and Community Engagement team to provide quality technical training to students in all areas of theatre production.
• Attend management and general staff meetings.
Safety and Compliance:
• Ensures work is performed safely in accordance with departmental procedures.
• Safely operate and maintain motorized rigging equipment.
• Monitor the condition of equipment including lighting, sound, and rigging equipment; arrange for the repair and replacement; perform preventive maintenance on equipment; ensure larger repairs are sent out in a timely fashion.
• Performs safety checks on equipment.
• Other duties as assigned.
Department and Organization Participation:
• Contribute to department and organizational goals as well as individual goals.
• Assist as needed on all department duties as assigned.
• Interact with co-workers in the spirit of cooperation, collaboration, and teamwork.
• Maintain a positive attitude toward change.
• Support the organization’s fundraising initiatives and assist as needed at fundraising events.
• Contribute to the organization’s mission, vision, values, and commitment to equity.
How You Stand Out
Preferred Experience and Education:
- 2 or more years of experience in related position or a combination of education and experience providing equivalent knowledge.
Working knowledge of the following:
- Construction and set design.
- Stage rigging
- Audio and sound reinforcement
- Stage/production management
- Knowledge and clear understanding of professional standards of stage safety
• Problem Solving: Strategic thinking and problem-solving skills in situations with a variety of variables and limited standardization.
• Initiative and Creativity: Plan work and carry out tasks without detailed instructions; prepare for problems or opportunities in advance; respond to situations as they arise with minimal supervision.
• Communication: Communicates clearly and accurately across all functions of the business in a timely manner.
• Policy and Procedures: Analysis and application skills that result in understanding, creating, enforcing, and adhering to standardized policies and procedures for the organization as well as for events.
• Commitment to Safety: Understand, encourage, and carry out compliance with safety policies and procedures; take personal responsibility for safety.
• Microsoft Office suite (particularly, advanced knowledge of spreadsheets)
• Requires standing and walking about 70% of the time; may lift and carry objects up to 50 lbs.; Push or pull objects up to 100lbs using appropriate equipment; may climb stairs and ladders; may bend, twist, kneel, stoop, and reach overhead; ability to work at heights.
• The noise level in the environment ranges from quiet in the office to moderate to loud during events.
• Skilled in safely operating a scissor and personal man lift.
• May be exposed to irregular ranges of humidity and temperature.
• Maintains irregular and extended working hours as needed to support event-based schedule.
How We Stand Out
Benefits and Perks:
• 401(k)and 401(k) matching
• Health, dental, vision, and life insurance
• Paid time off
• Unlimited paid sick time
• Paid holidays
• Parental leave
• Parking provided.
• Tuition reimbursement opportunities
• A diverse team of colleagues
• Volunteer and committee opportunities
• Tickets to select Orpheum and Halloran Centre events as available.
• Campus located in the heart of downtown Memphis with a historic theatre and modern performing arts and education center.
The mission of the Orpheum Theatre Group is to enhance the communities we serve by utilizing the performing arts to entertain, educate and enlighten while preserving the historic Orpheum Theatre and the Halloran Centre for Performing Arts & Education.
The Orpheum Theatre Group will strive to be a world-class performing arts organization, serving as a cultural beacon and catalyst for positive change.
• Innovative: The Orpheum Theatre Group takes risk and invests in new ideas.
• Inclusive: The Orpheum Theatre Group is welcoming and accepting to all.
• Inspirational: The Orpheum Theatre Group motivates positive change through the performing arts.
• Integrity: The Orpheum Theatre Group acts ethically and considers all viewpoints.
• lmpactful: The Orpheum Theatre Group provides meaningful opportunity.
• Transformative: The Orpheum Theatre Group changes lives, Memphis and the world.
Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
We are dedicated to equity, inclusion, and respect. We commit ourselves to listening to and elevating voices that have been systemically silenced.
The Orpheum Theatre Group is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer, we will consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, age (40+), disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status under local, state, or federal law.
Interested candidates should submit an application and resume to
The Orpheum Theatre Group