Works under the direct supervision of a Supervisor and is responsible for vegetation control along roadside shoulders and right-of-ways, tree removal and emergency response to windstorms and other weather emergencies.
1. Three (3) years of experience as a laborer assisting in the functions of a skilled area; and
2. Tenth (10) grade education.
3. Experience in vegetation control and/or tree removal preferred.
4. PROOF OF EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND/OR EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Utilizes chainsaw, weed-eaters and various hand tools for vegetation control and tree removal.
2. Applies chemical herbicides along road right-of-ways to eliminate unwanted weeds.
3. Operates tractors with grass mower decks along County right-of-ways.
4. Operates bucket trucks and knuckle boom trucks to load trees and brush material for disposal. for overhead tree trimming and other utility vehicles needed for vegetation control.
5. Performs housekeeping tasks that are necessary to maintain a clean and safe work area.
6. Assists Crew Leaders as directed and may assist in supervising inmate laborers.
7. Acts as an essential worker to respond to emergencies.
8. Performs other related duties as required or directed.
1. Knowledge of the practices and procedures related to tree and brush removal.
2. Knowledge and ability to use hand tools and related power tools.
3. Ability to work as directed and follows written and oral instructions.
4. Ability to compile daily reports and compute estimated distance.
5. Knowledge or routine prevention maintenance on related power tools and equipment.
6. Ability to operate tractors, knuckle boom trucks, brush and limb mower tractors, chain saws and brush clippers.
7. Physical ability to perform assigned tasks.
1. Must be able to consistently lift seventy-five (75) to ninety (90) lbs.
2. Must be able to use hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools, or controls.
3. Must be able to work outside in changing weather conditions, i.e. snow, flooding, ice, and high winds.
1. Must possess a valid Tennessee commercial driver’s license with a “Class B” endorsement or secure one prior to the end of new employee probation.
2. Must pass a physical examination.
3. Must submit to and pass drug and alcohol screening.
Shelby County Government